Welcome Coach Keatts

Home Forums All StateFansNation Welcome Coach Keatts

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    choppack1
    Participant

We have a guy who wanted the job.

We have a guy with a ring.

We have a guy who improved his team immediately.

We have a guy known as a good but uncompromising recruiter.

We have a guy with tremendous upside.

Are there question marks? Of course. But he is one of us and he wants to be one of us and for that – I am pulling for this guy to be our coach k.

Gowolves
    Participant

Well said! Welcome Mr. Keatts!

tractor57
    Participant

I think the first point is the most significant. He wants to be in Raleigh. Can he make positive things happen? Time will tell.

packof81
    Participant

Welcome Coach Keatts!

nav
    Participant

Like most, wish it would have been Archie but happy with Keatts. I think he will prevent a mass exodus this year.
    At least I have something to look forward to for next season. Wasn’t looking forward to another year of Gott underperforming.
    We are getting a lot of good press which is great for recruiting.

pakfanistan
    Participant

UNCW fans mad we hired their coach. Louisville fans disappointed he won’t be available to replace Pitino.

It’s like they know something our fan base doesn’t.

ryebread
    Participant

I’m actually excited about Keatts. I liked him a LOT more than Wade. I have watched his teams play quite a few games and they play an interesting style of basketball that will really resonate with our fans. I see much more upside out of Keatts than any of the retreads.

As I thought about our potential candidates, I thought about who I wouldn’t want to see the most on the other sideline. It was Keatts. If he were at Louisville after Pitino, I honestly think they wouldn’t miss a beat. I’m not saying they’d have hired him, but I am saying that I would not have wanted to go on the road to Louisville to play them with him as the head man. Maybe we flipped the script?

Welcome Coach Keatts. Time to get to work recruiting our own players, some new ones and in building a staff. Assistants will be key.

saigonwolf
    Participant

I was all-in for Archie. Archie apparently didn’t want our job. That’s fine, as I think there was probably some “Sendek factor” that helped his decision, as in the possibility that if he had a down season somewhere along the line, we, the fanbase would start the comparisons and start calling for his head. I know how we are – that absolutely would happen.

So we’ve got Keatts. I’m good with him. I’ve googled everything I can learn about him, and he’s got a good background and pedigree. I think we all will be pleased with him in the long run, and he has my full support. I can’t wait for you regular posters here to start providing us info as to current player retention, new recruits, and expectations for the next season. I’m excited – more so than I thought I would be.

tractor57
    Participant

Any head coaching job in the ACC is high risk/high reward. Not being on the inside all is I know is we did not have the CF of a coaching search like the last two – which to me indicates the job is held in higher regard and we (and in that athletic dept) did a better job of dealing with things this go. I look forward to seeing the program move forward.

wolfmanmat
    Participant

Keatts can recruit. He has great ties with high school coaches from days at Hargrave. The kids who play for him like him so that should translate to fewer transfers. If people want to say he can’t coach defense then that’s fine. Defense was Gotts problem, but he had other problems that people miss. Kids didn’t like him, proven by continued transfers. He couldn’t motivate, proved by the last 2 years when the teams basically quit. If Keats motivates and the kids like him, which seems to be the case, then he can be a good fit. We don’t need a Tony Bennett type to win here. Talented and motivated kids are good defenders.

Pack78
    Participant

Maybe we all need to go back and read Rick (the Vampire) Pitino’s assessment of KK’s abilities…VERY positive and I don’t think he was lyin’…we could be really happy with this hire in very short order. Are there questions, certainly, but I will see what develops before bailing out…welcome Coach Keatts!

Packster
    Participant

In my opinion our job is a great job. But is it hard to win here? Yes. This is Tobacco Road! We need someone with swagger and guts that think they can do it. Archie Miller is a young man. You would think he would be interested. But apparently he didn’t have the guts to do it or the belief that he could be successful. So good riddance to him. He is not someone we need if that’s how he feels. He’s just worried about playing it safe. Keatts could work out for us but most likely he won’t be like a coach K. That’s because anyone that’s been intimately involved with sports teams knows that good coaches are hard to find. Probably only 1 in 10 people really have in them what it takes to be a very good or great coach. We used to have tradition to help with recruiting etc….but in the age of parity and the blues doing so well of late…we don’t have that anymore. We need a special person to take us to the next level. Is Keatts going to be that person? The odds say no. But maybe. We can only hope for the best. Furthermore, it’s time to start laying the ground work for a new arena for basketball. Let’s face it…our arena sucks. It’s not really even our home court….it’s a shared venue. We need a more intimate arena that seats between 12 and 15 thousand that gives us a true home court advantage. We need a building painted like a sea of Fire Engine Red that is loud and obnoxious. Just adding that would probably be good for a few more wins every year. Let’s hope that talk starts about this soon.

Tau837
    Participant

I assume Yow investigated Archie’s interest and found that he wasn’t ready to accept the job. With that assumption, I like this hire for all the reasons others like chop and rye have posted.

Some of the reaction in this forum is ridiculous. Not much different than “the monkey board.”

Texpack
    Participant

I assume Yow investigated Archie’s interest and found that he wasn’t ready to accept the job. With that assumption, I like this hire for all the reasons others like chop and rye have posted.

Some of the reaction in this forum is ridiculous. Not much different than “the monkey board.”

The Monkey board was actually a lot calmer regarding the news

Tau837
    Participant
    bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Hello Coach Double-K !! —
    (and Double-T for some, for a couple days..)

What’s up KKTT?

I’ve heard good things about you from folks who know you and look forward to learning more….

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    freshmanin83
    Participant

Thanks Tau837 here’s hoping for a treat in Keatts.

pakfanistan
    Participant

Hello Coach Double-K !! —
    (and Double-T for some, for a couple days..)

What’s up KKTT?

I’ve heard good things about you from folks who know you and look forward to learning more….

K2-T2?

Wulfpack
    Participant

Kevin Keatts

Spelled with TWO T’s.

Adventuroo
    Participant

OK….it IS two T’s…and it took a while for the GOTTFRieD or GOTTFReiD to be solved.

Welcome Mr. Keatts….or COACH KEATTS. That has a NICE ring to it. Hope you brought your BEST Jimmy V standup routine and can launch your career on Sunday. He used his “comedy” skills for 2 years to get past all the ugliness and learn what he needed to do here. The press LOVED him and how can you write about a guy that makes you laugh….and with MANY of the jokes, HE was the punchline.

You will have some tough times….and eventually the Snowflakes that are posting will be out of therapy and will come around. Meanwhile, those of us that have NOT stopped donating to the WPC since the early 70’s and have LTR’s in the Champions Club will give you a fair shot. I STILL want a Reynolds Tile….but the vile taste of last season (15/16) and the really FOUL stench of 16/17 caused me to PAUSE and reneg on it.

Win some….Come BACK to Reynolds and we WIN and you will KNOW the Feeling. Would be at your Presser tomorrow, but family plans stand in the way.

PS…a REAL NCSU Coach ONLY OWNS RED…and it should be on display at EVERY game….in some form or fashion. We are NOT BLUE (medium or light blue). I have more red in my closet than the REAL Santa….and I want to wear it MORE and MORE….

Thanks….

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.