Weekend Open Thread

Home Forums All StateFansNation Weekend Open Thread

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 99 total)
  • Author
    wufpup76
    Keymaster

It’s the final weekend of regular season play for the power conference teams plus many others with a lot to still be decided. Some low-major tournaments have already been taking place this week – the first auto-qualifier is decided tomorrow! – and a lot of the mid-major conferences will get their respective tourneys swinging this weekend.

As noted in the ‘Seeding Scenarios‘ thread, State has a small chance at the ACC tourney 6-seed, but the 7-seed is the most likely landing spot for the Pack. Just beat Syracuse though please and a lot of good comes from it 🙂 .

ACC Weekend Schedule (Shockingly, Swoff & co. didn’t relegate GaTech or some other poor squads to play on Sunday night w/ the tourney starting on Tuesday … GT is actually the only ACC team not in action this weekend)

ACC Standings | Espn Bracketology | CBSSports Bracketology

Conference tourney schedules | Espn Championship Week

I usually like CBSSports website a little better than Espn’s, b/c Espn’s is incredibly ‘busy’ w/ videos, etc., but Espn’s RPI breakdown page is great. Here’s NC State’s page.

Selection Committee Sheets – NC State page 48

Espn Bubble Watch

NC State [18-12 (9-8), RPI: 45, SOS: 6] A Feb. 28 road loss at Boston College took a little of the shine off of what had been a season-affirming stretch of Wolfpack basketball: three games in 10 days, during which Mark Gottfried’s team knocked off Louisville and North Carolina on the road. Meanwhile, Boise State’s surge toward the postseason made NC State’s Nov. 28 win over the Broncos look like a quality victory, adding a fourth top-50 win to a category that already includes the words “Duke,” “Louisville,” and “North Carolina.” (Oh, and look out for Richmond, too. A fifth may be on the way.) Despite those wins, the BC loss was worrisome, not only because it added an ugly loss to the bottom of the profile, but because it dropped the Pack to .500 in ACC play. After Tuesday’s ugly but effective win at Clemson (whose starters combined to shoot 11-of-46 from the field; yuck), the Wolfpack are guaranteed at least a .500 ACC record no matter what happens in Saturday’s regular-season closer against Syracuse. Throw in those elite schedule numbers, and a win locks them in. They’re very close already.

wufpup76
    Keymaster
    MP
    Participant

^ WOW!

wufpup76
    Keymaster

100+ wins coming off the record books for Boeheim + Syracuse

MrPlywood
    Participant

Too bad for ‘Cuse that it wasn’t just an academic issue…

I am surprised about one thing though – I thought the NCAA was on extended leave since the Hole has been allowed to KCCO.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

Bubble Watch.

What makes the 2014-15 season different? Loyal Bubble Watchers will note that this season’s “others” (read: mid-majors) category has been startlingly thin all winter…The problem is that none of these teams have worthy NCAA tournament rĂ©sumĂ©s. All of them need to win their conference’s automatic bid to get in. A so-so mid-major league with one great team is the would-be bid thief’s path of least resistance. This season, those paths don’t exist. If Murray State loses in the Ohio Valley final, its conqueror won’t steal a bubble team’s bid. It will take Murray State’s.

This means the bid thieves will have to come from high-major leagues… It happens, but it’s rare.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bubblewatch

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

Palm and the Bubble

In for Now
    NC State has been riding the roller coaster a bit of late, but the win at Clemson makes it four wins out of five. If they can avoid another mini-slump, they should be in the field.

Work to Do
    Pitt has good wins over North Carolina and Notre Dame, but they still don’t have a good record against better opposition. The Panthers have three bad losses, including a recent one at Wake Forest. A home loss to Miami last time out was especially painful. Schedule — at Florida St

The Hurricanes went into Pittsburgh without Angel Rodriguez and found a way to win, which puts them back on the bubble. The win at Duke will only carry them so far though. Schedule — at Virginia Tech

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/bracketology/bubble-watch

BJD95
    Keymaster

I think Miami is in better shape than assumed. They have a significant number of “attaboys.” Just also an equal number of “doh!” moments. If they don’t shit the court in Blacksburg, I think they get to Dayton.

wufpup76
    Keymaster

I think Miami is in better shape than assumed. They have a significant number of “attaboys.” Just also an equal number of “doh!” moments. If they don’t shit the court in Blacksburg, I think they get to Dayton.

^There are some SEC and Pac-12 teams getting way more love than they deserve. I can definitely see it going either way for Miami, while those SEC and Pac teams may not be getting what’s projected (just like it happens every season 🙂 )

MrPlywood
    Participant

So is JB’s suspension effective immediately? As in, for tomorrow’s game?

wufpup76
    Keymaster

So is JB’s suspension effective immediately? As in, for tomorrow’s game?

First 9 games of ACC play next season, if I understand correctly.

I hate that Syracuse’s ‘proactive’ postseason ban worked in their favor – it will encourage other schools to do the same. What really should happen is the NCAA giving out such penalties between seasons and the current players being allowed to transfer without penalty. Instead, Syracuse threw this season’s team under the bus to save recruiting.

Outside of no further postseason ban though, the NCAA did hit them in ways that programs actually will feel: monetary fines, coach suspension/sanctions, and scholarship reductions. Syracuse is still going to be able to recruit effectively though … they really got off comparatively ‘easy’ in all this.

I don’t think there’s any amount of punishment that will satisfy many when it comes to the Cheats. If they don’t get postseason bans, monetary fines, show causes … hell, anything short of death penalties for the respective programs warrants criticism of the NCAA’s handling of the case.

BJD95
    Keymaster

First interesting mid-low-major question of Championship Week, as Murray State is gonna lose in the OVC semis.

I don’t have them in the field, “ranked” #25 in the AP or not…

wufpup76
    Keymaster

^Haha you beat me to it … reason # ten billion and four that the rankings mean jackshit.

Murray has no chance at an at-large.

BJD95
    Keymaster

Bret and Jemaine may not have to sing the “Cheer Up, Murray” song after all.

Their coach looks like a registered sex offender, though.

wufpup76
    Keymaster

Coach Red Dot

Heelh8r
    Participant

The purple shirt? The hair part? The eyebrows?

BJD95
    Keymaster

How does he recruit? I just don’t know how you trust your son’s future to a guy who looks like he should be masturbating in your bushes.

Wufpacker
    Participant

How does he recruit? I just don’t know how you trust your son’s future to a guy who looks like he should be masturbating in your bushes.

LMFAO!!!

wufpup76
    Keymaster
    wufpup76
    Keymaster

Watching the Espn Gameday group discussing Syracuse’s violations and the NCAA’s problems from midcourt at the Cheat Dome while walking on eggshells to not mention the Cheats’ ongoing BS is a sight to behold.

wufpup76
    Keymaster

Illinois St. beat Wichita St. in the MVC semis … If Illinois St. or Loyola-Chicago win the MVC tournament then someone will lose a bid …

BJD95
    Keymaster

^ That has to make the likes of Miami, Texas, and Okie State nervous. I still have no idea why people have Indiana in.

wufpup76
    Keymaster

Texas A&M lost at home today to a ‘meh’ Alabama team … I find it ridiculous they were/are considered so strongly. They took Kentucky to overtime when Calamari wanted UK to be challenged/lose … SO WHAT?? Exactly how far does an OT loss to UK go? Must be a lot better than wins over other teams.

Texas A&M profile

0 – that’s ZERO top 50 wins and a non-con sos of 126. Either I’m taking crazy pills or the bracketology people are. What the hell?

If a team like this gets in over a team like Davidson, then something is truly wrong w/ the committee this season.

pakfanistan
    Participant

For some reason I had WRAL on….I had to turn it off when they started fellating the blues for having teh gratest rivery in da histry of mankind.

Fastback68
    Participant

Why is Vitale in Louisville?? Shouldn’t he be sucking UNX —- in Durham???

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 99 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.