Wednesday … the NEW Friday!!

Home Forums All StateFansNation Wednesday … the NEW Friday!!

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 78 total)
  • Author
    Hungwolf
    Participant

Highstick is right,damage control. They made sure to keep the current football program out of the picture also. The report does not directly implicate Roy just states that he didn’t admit fault and they didn’t find it. Too many “I don’t recall” moments in the report that the N&O and others will be looking at also, multiple public records requests are pending that Kane and others I am sure will find more dirt! UNC doing all it can to pin point a small group of people and limit this to past football as much as possible. I don’t think it will work in the long run, people that have admitted fault were too high up and/or too connected to Roy and other coaches. No surprise lawsuits from maybe players like McCants and others may be forthcoming that will shed even more light on the issue. We can only hope the NCAA uses this report as a stepping stone to keep digging in their investigation!

44rules
    Participant

Red, that Sporting News headline should read: Academic fraud at UNC stretched from Dean Smith to Roy Williams tenures

Communism is not love. Communism is a hammer which we use to crush the enemy. Mao Zedong

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

…Ok… I GOTT it… ya’ll are saying that your Basketball Coach started this AFAM thing JUST for the Football team back in ’92…. after Coach Mack Brown led them to 9-3 season and the Peach Bowl… right?

and LOIC ?? not a chance in hell of that…. as stated above… “NOTHING” could be further from the truth….

and in the Sad but True category… this… there was no “NEW” information included the Weistein Report… nothing that would not be considered common knowledge up and down Tobacco Road among sports-knowledgeable alums from any Big Four School…

I give the Heels about 2-3 days of wailing, gnashing of teeth, sackcloth and ashes BEFORE the anti-NCAA reform crowd blows them off the front pages….

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    Texpack
    Participant

The WSJ article was fairly critical. To me the key admission, not new information, was that lots of people knew, suspected, or should have known and allowed it to go on.

Roy knew there was something rotten going on whether he knew so explicitly or was just able to figure it out. That is why he got his players out of it. He also knew that his program had benefited from the system. That is why he didn’t turn anybody in or speak up. He knew the investigation would implicate MBB under his watch.

Hiring Matt Doherty wasn’t good for MBB in Chapel Hill and it looks like firing him wasn’t good either. He stuck it to Deano. The documentation by a former player and head coach that Dean constructed this and insisted that it be maintained is the most damning part of the report for the Carolina Way apologists. The only problem is that they got to enjoy 20 years of ill gotten glory in their program while we were banished to the outhouse for selling shoes.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Still no smoking gun. Nothing really new, though very comprehensive.

RaisedByWolves
    Participant

“That old joke about athletes taking basket-weaving classes would be a step up from this.” -Brian Williams on NBC Nightly News

wufpup76
    Keymaster

“That old joke about athletes taking basket-weaving classes would be a step up from this.” -Brian Williams on NBC Nightly News

^Fantastic 🙂

Schadenfreude is great, but some actual punitive fallout would be better (I’d say it’s necessary, but I’m not holding my breath).

YogiNC
    Participant

When you come right down to it until today this was NOT a national story. The only people who cared was abc’ers and the IC bunch. The way this went down today made it front page everywhere. The thing that gets me the most is Swofford KNEW and was complicit.

Smarter than the average bear

TheCOWDOG

Very revealing. I’ve said all along that the declining AFAM enrollment in Roy’s tenure, suggests an extremely well done CYA.

Williams should be credited, not vilified.
    I’m curious why McCants chose not to talk. He’s yapped to everyone else.

SaccoV
    Participant

I guess there is a new psychosis up for intensive research … The Carolina Syndrome: self-delusion and megalomania switching to extreme admonition upon discover of fraud and falsehoods!!

Gowolves
    Participant

CD, forgive me for not throwing a parade for Williams and his ability to predict the future. I hold him responsible on some levels. He has known Smith for years and the circles they travel are not that big. For someone to come to him and point out the clusters in these classes that he didn’t know about already is bullsh@t. How many years went by before he started to make sure his players were no longer taking these bogus classes. As he supposedly stared pulling back and telling his advisors to get them in other classes he still had at least one in them. One is too many. I’m not saying anything will happen to Roy but I have heard enough of his good old boy crap to to know he is selling a load of crap.

wufpup76
    Keymaster

^A couple of years ago Roy was asked why all the basketball players suddenly shifted away from AFAM courses/majors and his response was (paraphrasing) ‘maybe they found other interests’.

Now this report states that Roy himself gave direction to have his players steered from AFAM. Why the misdirection two years ago? You either knew, or you didn’t.

Bullsh*t is bullsh*t no matter how you cut it.

jrcox4
    Participant

A quick back of the envelope calc…

3100 students involved total * 47.4% of total were student athletes, therefore 1469 student athletes were involved total.

Of these 1469 student athletes…

50.9% Football = 748 football players
    12.2% Basketball = 179 basketball players

Now, placing an average recruiting class…

Each football recruiting class = 25 football players/ recruiting classes x 18 classes = 450 football players…

Add four years so seniors in ’93 can be included, and the number goes to 550 football players…

Each basketball recruiting class = 6 basketball players/ recruiting class x 18 classes = 108 basketball players…

Same thing, add four years…132 players

550 < 748 & 132 < 179

Obviously the report didn’t state 3100 unique students, but still. I must be missing something.

What am I missing?

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

jr.. you gott the redshirt year included in your math ?

Mike
    Participant

Cowdog, McCants did not speak was very surprising. I think it was one of two reasons: 1) A lawsuit is coming and his advisors told him to hush, or 2) someone else within the program told him to hush with some zeroes on a piece of paper.

SaccoV
    Participant

Courtesy of Mr. Tudor. Click here for the full story.

One important nugget from the ‘piece’ (of excrement?):

But based on Wednesday’s findings in the Kenneth Wainstein probe, there’s solid reason to predict there will no more dire sanctions from the NCAA.

I’m sure Tudor’s source on this part is the BOT, right?

The biggest competitive impact on athletics will be on football and basketball recruiting, a scandal aftershock that actually began in the 2012-13 school year.

Third paragraph:

But unless the NCAA can establish specific cases of athletes and/or former athletes having dodged academic ineligibility as a result of “paper class” grades, there doesn’t seem to be much more dirt to dig unless Rashad McCants or others provide the NCAA with more proof of basketball coaching involvement than Wainstein said his group could find.

Go I guess that adjectives like comprehensive and thorough don’t EXACTLY apply to this investigation?

I emailed TheACCShillJournal’s editor this very question yesterday, which he read on the air, and never officially acknowledged: Does UN* expect everyone else to believe that 3100 students enrolled in over 6000 bogus courses over 18 years boils down to two people: Crowder and Nyangoro? Insert your favorite Colonel Sherman Potter line here!!

Gowolves
    Participant

SaccoV, Would that be horse hockey?

I do think nothing will happen but for the sake of argument how can the NCAA do little to nothing. This is the very ideal of what the NCAA supposedly stands for. The backlash from a lite punishment will neuter the NCAA forever and this autonomous movement will gain more steam. They have to send a message that this crap can’t “happen everywhere”. If they don’t schools will be more brazen to cut corners when it comes to educating the student athlete. No matter what people say administrators love the money(and publicity) that a successful AD brings. You are not putting that genie back in the bottle and the money is only becoming more grotesque.

SaccoV
    Participant

Stole my thunder, GoWolves. But Dan Wetzel came to the same conclusion. Click here for the full story.

The part about the jersey is the most fitting.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

… wanta have some Twitter fun…
    just hashtag this…

wufpup76
    Keymaster

^^That Wetzel piece has some gems …

“That doesn’t mean a school that’s made the devil’s deal of admitting them should give up on them, not attempt to educate on some levels, not try to push them to be better.

Carolina shouldn’t brazenly, blatantly and systematically run an assembly line of eligibility.”

“These aren’t the actions of a rogue employee or a tutor overstepping the line between helping and doing. This isn’t one or two people. These aren’t coaches and administrators conveniently not asking or wondering why an at-risk kid suddenly got straight A’s, all so they could play even dumber than usual (well, daggum it, Roy).”

“Other schools do it? Blame the dumb kids? Regular students eventually heard about the scam and took the classes, too? The TV announcers always said we did it “the right way”? Dean Smith is a cool dude? M.J. went there? We have sweet blue uniforms?”

“Multi-sport postseason bans? Fines? Scholarship reductions? Death penalty? It all should be on the table.”

Scorched Earth. I love it.

44rules
    Participant

Always liked Wetzel’s pieces, even before this one.

Communism is not love. Communism is a hammer which we use to crush the enemy. Mao Zedong

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

#ForEighteenYears?
    #What About Us?
    #WhereWereYou?

Friends… Take your pick…
    The “early” exit polling indicates the “obvious”….

1. Those who ‘hate light blue’ will come out the proverbial woodwork from all corners of the country
    (Durham, Lexington, Los Angeles) will make… #ForEighteenYears?… their campaign slogan.

2. Those who have suffered much more for much less… will cry… #What About Us?

3. Those who ‘hate’ the NCAA… will shout #WhereWereYou?

Perfect Storm of Three Rising in the East just in time for maximum pregame noise for the next four months…
    Hmmm…

Get your popcorn and your cold beer… This Show never ends…

The Idiot Responses will begin shortly…

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

#ForEighteenYears?
    #What About Us?
    #WhereWereYou?

Friends… Take your pick…

1. Those who ‘abhor light blue’ will come out the proverbial woodwork from all corners of the country
    (Durham, Lexington, Los Angeles) will make… #ForEighteenYears?… their campaign slogan.

2. Those who have suffered much more for much less… will cry… #What About Us?

3. Those who ‘like to see the NCAA put out of business… will shout #WhereWereYou?

Perfect Storm of Three Rising in the East just in time for maximum pregame noise for the next four months…
    Hmmm…

Get your popcorn and your cold beer… This Show never ends…

The parade of Idiot Responses will begin shortly…

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Friends… Take your pick…

#ForEighteenYears?
    #What About Us?
    #WhereWereYou?

The Idiot Responses will begin shortly…

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Friends… Take your pick..

“#ForEighteenYears?”
    “#What About Us?”
    “#WhereWereYou?”

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 78 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.