Way too early football prediction thread

Home Forums StateFans Football Way too early football prediction thread

Tagged: 

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 96 total)
  • Author
    TheAliasTroll
    Participant

W – William & Mary
    L – @ECU (our fans will gather in masses on the oft used ledge)
    W – Old Dominion
    W – Wake Forest
    W – Notre Dame (we finally get the elusive, HUGE win under Dave that boosts our egos and soars our hopes and dreams… delusions of grandeur.. threads created warning of SEC teams planning to poach our beloved Dave Doeren.. but then we proceed to “NC State” the rest of the season)
    L – @Clemson
    L – @Louisville
    L – Boston College (bitching, whining, moaning vs Dave Doeren for life argument really gets going on the msg boards)
    L – Florida State
    W (maybe???) – @Syracuse
    L – Miami
    L – @UNC (all our fans come to nearly unanimous realization Dave is in over his head [any dissenters will be filed under the “unicorn’s sh!t rainbows” moniker])

Final record of 5-7

What y’all got?

freshmanin83
    Participant

I have no idea what kind of QB play to expect this year. No guess on record.

tjfoose1
    Participant

We have 3 talented, but unproven QB’s on the roster. It appears the talent increases with the youth.

I have no idea what the position will produce come game time. That one variable at it’s lowest could bring a 3 win season, at it’s absolute highest and paired with timely breaks, maybe 8 or 9.

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

Careful stepping out on that limb there, foose! 3 to 9 wins likely you say?

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

I have no idea what kind of QB play to expect this year. No guess on record.

Ding ding ding
    We have a winner.

ryebread
    Participant

I think we’ll be 6-6. I think our team will likely be better in many ways than last year, but the record may not reflect it due to a tougher schedule.

Of course, if we don’t get competent QB play, all bets are off…….

BJD95
    Keymaster

7-5, but one we will scratch, claw, fight for and can be proud of.

13OT
    Participant

Agree with the Troll- it’ll probably be 5 wins, 7 losses.

The Pack will win its first 4 games, which they should, and may even flirt with the Top 25 the week of the Notre Dame game. Hopes will be high, but will come down to earth in a rousing thud on October 8. After this one, there will be 2 solid losses on the road and a slight rebound at home against BC. After that, I think the season will end with 4 straight losses, the most damning one being at Syracuse.

That will give the Pack a 2-6 ACC mark, and should put Doeren squarely on the hot seat.

I’m much less versed in football than in basketball, but it seems to me that as long as State doesn’t get a really good QB, they’re going nowhere in the ACC wars. Just think about how bad this program would look now had it not been for all the cupcake small schools that have provided most all of State’s wins, and at home.

Are we going to be stuck with this coaching staff another 3 seasons, or more?

tjfoose1
    Participant

Careful stepping out on that limb there, foose! 3 to 9 wins likely you say?

No, I made no claims about what was likely. That’s why I lead my statement of win total scenarios with “I have no idea…”

What one could reasonably infer from my post is that I believe the talent at positions other than QB could produce up to 9 wins, if and only if the QB performs at an All ACC type level. One could also reasonably infer that I also believe that there isn’t enough talent to win more than 3 or 4 games if we get consistently poor play from the QB position.

But reasonable inferences don’t help with trolling.

YogiNC
    Participant

Said in my best Yogi esque voice, we could easily be 7 and 5 unless we go to a bowl and lose 9, at which time we’ll be 5 and 8. In other words I have NO FREAKING IDEA!

Smarter than the average bear

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

@foose- I got ya hook, line, and sinker, my dude.

1.21 Jigawatts
    Keymaster

I predict the backup QB will be the fans 2nd most popular player…Samuels will be #1 of course.

BJD95
    Keymaster

Dude, there are TWO most popular backup QBs! We will have both the Judean Popular Front and the Popular Front of Judea camps this year. SO. MUCH. POPCORN. We shall all be regular at least, that’s fo sho. Buy some good toilet paper. Chairmain Plus Aloe FTW, muthaflippas (I do not accept the Chairmain Sensitive re-branding).

Also, HBO’s “The Night Of” merits your teevee attention if you’ns bored.

ncsu1987
    Participant

WAY too many unknowns. Unproven depth at QB, strength behind the QB, brand-spankin’ new offense (which I am quietly stoked about), tougher (IMO) schedule…

Given the data in hand, from an engineering perspective, I like Foose’ confidence interval…

Jowata
    Participant

Any of our QB’s has got to be better than we when had Brandon Mitchell and Pete Thomas back in 2013…….. or at least I hope so.

JasonP
    Participant

Slow on naming a QB and now a hit to the WRs leaves more than usual to speculation. I’ll go with 6-6. With some very lucky breaks I could see 8 wins. Would be great if the QB Doeren goes with can limit TOs and work within a game plan. They don’t need to be MVP-level, just respectable. But if none of the QBs can manage a game and sling a little here and there it’s going to be a very long season.

That said, we’re going to snag one we shouldn’t between ND, FSU and Miami at home. The “away” side of the schedule is tougher than it looks. ECU and Cuse should be manageable so hoping we get at least one of those, if not both cuz we’re going to need them. The goal for this team is a bowl game, any bowl game. I haven’t looked up SOS rating yet, but we’ve got to be up there.

Wulfpack
    Participant

6-6

marinewolf
    Participant

I think the QB play will better than we expect especially with the transfer, who will win out the starting position at least by 3rd game,7-5 with possibility of 8-4 you gotta play them one at a time.with a win between FSU and ND and a win between ECU and MIami, UNC game is very winnable – wins against BC,Wake,Syracuse,W&M, ODU I can see 8-4, I would rather be wrong and show the team I have support than pick em to lose. Louisville and Clemson on the road to tough

Wufpacker
    Participant

On the offensive side, QB is not our biggest weakness. Which should scare any of you who think we’ll be better than .500.

5-7 at best. 4-8 more likely.

With the possibility of some sort of come to Jesus upset to get us to .500 and some bowl that will drain all of us of even more self-respect.

Just say no.

October and November are gonna suck hard guys.
    (Loving my newfound optimism)

TheCOWDOG

Bill & Mary – Yep
    ECU – Yep
    ODU – Yep
    Wake- Yep
    ND – Nope
    Clemson – Nope
    Louisville – Winnable
    BC – Yep
    FSU- Nope
    SU – Yep
    Miami- Winnable
    UNX – Winnable

Firm belief.

Greywolf
    Participant

Bill & Mary – Yep
    ECU – Yep
    ODU – Yep
    Wake- Yep
    ND – Nope
    Clemson – Nope
    Louisville – Winnable
    BC – Yep
    SU – Yep
    Miami- Winnable
    UNX – Winnable

Firm belief.

Mr. Dog,
    Wanna share your FSU prediction? For now I’m taking that one as a ‘nope.’

EDIT: Mr. Grey, FSU is most assuredly…Nope

We got 6 “Yeps,”
    3 “Nopes” and
    3 “Winnables.”

By winnable I don’t think you mean toss-up so I’d say a “winnable” win is a momentum win while a loss would be… well, a loss. Should we win at L’ville, I’d say we have a good chance to go 9-3. Lose at L’ville and we could be as bad as 6-6 and likely 7-5.

Upset a “Nope” and get ready for the parade.

You and several other usually conservative, not pessimistic but conservative, people who know what they are talking about are suggesting we might surprise some people. Is this just DD’s 4th year? Do you Doubting Thomas folks still want to fire DD because he couldn’t win a conference game the first year he got here?

Greywolf
    Participant

On the offensive side, QB is not our biggest weakness. Which should scare any of you who think we’ll be better than .500.

Don’t confuse unproven for weakness. BTW Board monkey assessments don’t usually scare me and this one doesn’t either.

With the possibility of some sort of come to Jesus upset to get us to .500 and some bowl that will drain all of us of even more self-respect.

Any bowl that drains you of your self-respect says more about your personal problems than the bowl or team. Bowls, any bowl, are an opportunity for an additional 20 practices. Looking at it as a drain on ones self-respect is just egotistical foolishness.

FYI we are undefeated at this point.

ryebread
    Participant

I think we’re 6-6 plus or minus one win. A good year is plus one. A bad year is minus one.

There’s a razor thin margin for error. To me it will be determined by the QB play, play of the back 7 and the coaches and schemes.

SaccoV
    Participant

I have a feeling that we win one game and lose one game and boycott the rest, so we end up 1-1 for the year. Dave Doeren gets “NC State Football Head Coach of the Year” Award.

Rick
    Keymaster

I remember some of the over optimistic predictions from the “experts” last year. I will wait and see what happens.
    Hopefully one of the QBs combined with the new OC will blossom.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 96 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.