Watching the Carousel Develop

Home Forums StateFans Basketball Watching the Carousel Develop

Viewing 25 posts - 326 through 350 (of 1,114 total)
  • Author
    Wulfpack
    Participant

Butler and Xavier do battle at 3:30. Big game. Two good coaches.

Indiana escaped with a 1 point win over Northwestern last night. Crean’s seat still scorching hot.

UCLA comes back to beat Zona. Had not seen much of the Bruins this year – but they have some game.

Gonzaga loses for the first time all season to BYU. Will be interesting to see how far the Zags fall.

BJD95
    Keymaster

NO BAD KARMA!!

marinewolf
    Participant

Was at that 88 game Shane Montgomery was picking them apart, look like he was deciding which receiver to throw to, it was at Chapel Hill-which made it that much sweeter-2 years later beat them on a last second field goal 56 yarder-no TD’s 7 FG’s-ironic part Damon Hartman had been offered a soccer scholarship to UNC but took FB scholarship to State-the year in between at Raleigh Pack won 40-6, Sheridan owned the heels when he left O’Cain might well have said UNC is my daddy-after he lost to them 7 straight times, he goes and coaches for them and UNC loses, might well say he was 0-8 in that series

McCallum
    Participant

Grammarians unite!!!

McCallum

13OT
    Participant

This has been great reading so far. The best two lines came from the article about the Indiana-NC State coaching carousels (Debbie You is a divisive AD) and from McCallum, about Mickey McCarthy of the N&O.

Calling You “divisive” was sugar-coating it. McCarthy was far worse (based on personal inside information) than anything I read on here from McCallum or anyone else, but it was a good start nevertheless. As for the N&O, it is far worse now than it ever was under Claude Sitton. A good “for example” is in today’s edition, which gives the bulk of its Daytona 500 coverage to Mexican-born Daniel Suarez, who is “finding his place in racing and President Trump’s America”. This paper is nothing but leftist commentary; they can’t even produce a Major League baseball boxscore anymore, let alone any coverage of last night’s games that end before dark.

Another good topic was the possibility that Sean Miller is unhappy at U of A. He is reportedly not a fan of temporary ADs. That would seem to rule us out, since Yow may as well be temporary, with retirement (hopefully) near.

As for the next coach, there were several good names mentioned, but Chris Holtmann is still my choice.

13OT
    Participant

That should have read “Yow”, not “You”. Didn’t want to offend anyone!

BJD95
    Keymaster

The Sean Miller stuff was all troll-planted. I am increasingly worried about the DY factor. More self-inflicted wounds, the NC State way.

McCallum
    Participant

This has been great reading so far. The best two lines came from the article about the Indiana-NC State coaching carousels (Debbie You is a divisive AD) and from McCallum, about Mickey McCarthy of the N&O.

Calling You “divisive” was sugar-coating it. McCarthy was far worse (based on personal inside information) than anything I read on here from McCallum or anyone else, but it was a good start nevertheless. As for the N&O, it is far worse now than it ever was under Claude Sitton. A good “for example” is in today’s edition, which gives the bulk of its Daytona 500 coverage to Mexican-born Daniel Suarez, who is “finding his place in racing and President Trump’s America”.

Can’t agree on the N&O being worse. They once gave unc ultimate punt coverage, nothing was reported or even mentioned. The bastard Sitton had a stated goal of running Valvano out of Raleigh.

Sitton fit nice nicely with the unc narrative and his disposition toward State was colored by his intense dislike of the agrarian South. In context, Sitton was a voice of progress through his direction of the paper where the focus on Democratic New Deal-Great Society politics served as cornerstones along with civil rights legislation as a guide toward what an enlightened North Carolina should become (personified by Erksome Bowles). We see his vision now in the lifeless/soulless cul de sacs of Wake, Durham and Orange Counties where community life is essentially one of flux and alienation. We see his vision in the hypocrisy of the academic situation that started at unc in 1989, where his beloved tar heals twisted the system in their effort to negate the inherent differences between groups.

As for the Mexican in Trump’s America; he will be fine with a case of Budweiser, a fat blonde and a truck with fins.

McCallum

JeremyH
    Participant

I’d be careful about linking to Thamel articles, been very negative on NC State. I suspect his hiring was a panic move after CNN dropped SI for BR.

wolfmanmat
    Participant

If Gottfired takes a job at espn, does espn fire Dino or Seth?

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

I wonder IF our lawyers thought to put language in the termination agreement that guarantees that both parties “will only say nice things about each other at least until all the payments have been made, if not forever”….

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    Wulfpack
    Participant

If Gottfired takes a job at espn, does espn fire Dino or Seth?

Doubt it. Dino is in ESPNU, and mostly in the studio. I’m sure they’d want him out in the field to
    Do some color.

Adventuroo
    Participant

Watched a bit of the GT – ND game. Funny thing….they did a review of the “Kid’s” resume at GT….re the DANCE. Had some SUPER wins and one really BAD LOSS. Of COURSE it was to US….NCSU.

That was the SAME scenario that was used on Dukie….and the WORST WIN (of course Capel was required to wear a RED L for his sins).

SO, Mr. and Ms. ESPN Talking Craniums…..if Coach Gottfried was such a SUCCESS and should NOT have been fired….then WHY do you list NCSU as their “WORST or BADDEST” Losses? Like trying to make sense of the HB2 debate….there is NO logic.

If you did NOT listen to the Ladies Game today, you missed a great game. It was NOT televised, so I caught the Radio on WKNC. That was a Hoot. The announcer was on the TEAM side and very near Wes Moore. You could easily hear Wes “coaching”. Williams made a dumb, late 3 point foul….and Wes yelled out….”Ashley?????” with so much inflection in his voice at the end of her name that you KNEW his meaning. He also critiqued them about fundamentals such as blocking out rebounding. BUT, he was also their best cheerleader and paid them many compliments….of course on the next play, that might be reversed.

Really got, I THINK, a winner here. At least he is going to the ACC with a DOUBLE BYE. This is his SECOND DB…and that says a LOT after Kelly’s missteps…and I LIKED (professionally and also physically) her. He really understands HOW to get talent out of players and keep them motivated and focused. The ladies seem to adore him and take NO umbridge at being called his “Kids”. I hope they go far in both Tourneys….

DFMo
    Participant

Connecting through BWI with a few minutes to kill.

I was not paying close attention when this first was playing but my ears started to hear what he was saying and I blurted out … damn, Sam could be talking about UNC. 30 years later, it still rings true and they have learned nothing.

Hope this link works

The Eighties – no lesson learned for UNCheat

marinewolf
    Participant

do not say- how much would it take to bring you to the Pack
    say-how much do want – and have a blank check ready to be filled out

Adventuroo
    Participant

This is a bit of a repeat….but it deserves some attention here.

Factoid of the day…..The ACC NOW has 7 Teams (I did not count…this was a line on WRAL) in the TOP 25. So we are the Daddy Rabbit in the Power 5.

Factoid of Yesteryear….circa mid summer, 2016. NCSU picked to finish SIXTH in the League….but those all powerful and all knowing and high IQ and intellectual giants….the Sports Media.

Conclusion. IF the sages were correct and we WERE Number SIX…then we would be EASILY A TOP TWENTY FIVE. Thus, AD Yow would have accomplished another of her goals….for NCSU MBB to be a TOP TWENTY FIVE, with consistency….assuming we could write off LAST YEAR;s program.

We WERE NOT. SO, we failed to accomplish one of her STATED goals or expectations….publicly well known in 2011. The miscreant that let her and US down did NOT meet his job performance standards.

It WAS time for that…”Come into my office and CLOSE THE DOOR….” conversation…..which she had.

Reminds me of the tizzy that certain MSM and Fake News Media big wigs are now in….The Presidential Candidate, Mr. Trump, stated certain things that he would do immediately, IF ELECTED….

Then we find out how much hand wringing there is when President Trump, who WAS elected, actually starts (with a few jerks….like a kid learning how to drive a stick tranny) DOING what he SAID he WOULD DO.

AD Yow said….We WILL BE, consistently, a Top 25 Program….we AIN’T, so she pulls the pin on the individual charged with doing that….

Call your next case….

ryebread
    Participant

Roo: I’m not seeing the relevance in Trump and his first weeks to a discussion regarding Gott’s performance over the past 6 years. Well, unless you are comparing the lack of support from the general population in both.

MrPlywood
    Participant

The ACC NOW has 7 Teams in the TOP 25.

But… I’ve been told that no one but unx and Dook can compete in the ACC. I’m confused.

pakfanistan
    Participant

I’m not seeing the relevance in Trump and his first weeks to a discussion regarding Gott’s performance over the past 6 years.

I’ve got at least three jokes.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

Something that confuses me is that UCLA, Indiana, etc are touted as better coaching destinations and that it is too tough to win at State. But if it’s so easy to win at these other locations, why have they fired so many coaches since Wooden/Knight? Why did Doh only last three years at UNC?

Texpack
    Participant

Something that confuses me is that UCLA, Indiana, etc are touted as better coaching destinations and that it is too tough to win at State. But if it’s so easy to win at these other locations, why have they fired so many coaches since Wooden/Knight? Why did Doh only last three years at UNC?

I agree on both jobs. UCLA gets the benefit of being in LA and having lots of attentive media members along with the fact that they are the only local college team that has ever been relevant in MBB.

I don’t even understand why Indiana is still held in exceptional regard. It’s a lot like our job. Great teams in the 70’s and 80’s but much less so since then. Throw in Sampson and Mike Davis who “resigned” in February of 2006 and coached out the season and you have a perfect match.

Adventuroo
    Participant

If I have to explain all the hype and fake news about Coach Gottfried by the press….read the N&O article…with some obvious errors….then I will not take the space and bandwidth to do such.

The trusted press (media, print, internet, ESPN, etc.) only use situations like ours to write “stuff” and that usually is not pieces of work that will qualify for Pullitizers…

I guess that my reference to the incompetance of the press related to current events as well as the coverage of the firing of Coach Gottfried got lost or maybe went over a few heads.

Sounded good….looked good…but not everyone got it. Will try again.

Perhaps we can agree on everything up to the comparison….OR, do you or others feel that the press has fairly portrayed our situation and that ESPN has NOT taken cheap shots at us?

Maybe I missed something in the logic and the numbers….

I’m ready for a few jokes…even about me….as we need some humor at this time. I am really pulling for Clemson to FIRE Brownell just so that we are off the “They FIRED their Coach” pedestal. Sometime a premature “firing” does leave others wanting MORE….or so I’ve heard….

rthomas44
    Participant

Roo, in case no one has told you, no one cares about your politics. If you can’t talk sports without vering into the Alt universe, then just put a sock in it.

StateRed44
    Participant

Roo, feel free to quip on politics. If so and so doesn’t like it, he doesn’t have to read it.

Pack78
    Participant

Preach on Brother Roo-I think it should be obvious to all of us that the Gott firing comments and media coverage of most events have much in common; that is, do not let facts (do your homework!) get in the way of an inflammatory headline or soundbite…

Viewing 25 posts - 326 through 350 (of 1,114 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.