UNC v. UVA – Jamie Luckie & Coach's Suit

Home Forums StateFans Basketball UNC v. UVA – Jamie Luckie & Coach's Suit

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Adventuroo
    Participant

Just a few random thoughts. Jamie Luckie….one of our top 3 Favorite Refs is in CH tonight. The conference often puts them in the area for a second game to cut down on travel costs….as well as giving them a rest. Having traveled extensively and logged 1.5 Million air miles….I can attest to the need for REST.

BUT, that means that JL COULD be in Joel whatever tomorrow night when we go there. HOPE NOT….

The OTHER thing….if you are NOT watching is Tony Bennett’s SUIT. It looks like it was picked out for Roy Williams by Alexander Julian. I swear I heard Roy ask him what size it was and where he bought it.

And I FUSS about Gottfried’s shirt color…..

UVA is gradually taking control….but they did that with Duke and lost also.

Can’t decide WHICH to pull for. Hoping for a tie with overtimes going on until the opening round of the ACCT….

GO PACK!

Heelh8r
    Participant

Can’t decide WHICH to pull for.

I have no problem with that. See user name.

Alpha Wolf
    Keymaster

Let’s hope that Luckie is headed home tonight.

Rick
    Keymaster

How can you stand to watch UVA play? I flipped to the Duke UVA game the other night and it was 25-26 starting the second half. Who wants to watch that?

I cannot stand Luckie but we should beat Wake so bad he would not matter

TheCOWDOG

It simply has to be a generational thing.

UVa is as heady and disciplined team as they come.

Were State as such…

Wulfpack
    Participant

I’m not seeing the slow/prodding UVa of old. They can play with anyone. Serious athletic ability this time around. And I always like seeing disciplined D. Bennett has transformed that program.

JohnGalt78
    Participant

^
    “I cannot stand Luckie but we should beat Wake so bad he would not matter”

Rick, that’s not how it works. With Luckie, our hot shooting players have a tendency to foul. Luckie essentially can bench a player with his whistle. So there’s no “should” beat anybody when that A-hole is on the court doing his best to control the outcome.

Daniel_Simpson_Day
    Participant

“How can you stand to watch UVA play?”
    “UVa is as heady and disciplined team as they come.”

Yeah, I don’t get the negativity aimed at UVA from some of the posters here. Their brand of basketball is so much better to me than Duke or UNC’s. Folks bitch about basketball evolving into nothing but kids trying to make highlights and then bitch about UVA’s style. I’ll take Billy Hoyle any day of the week over Sydney Dean. I’d rather look bad and win than look good and lose.

They are so good at taking care of the ball and seem to never make the boneheaded, scratch your head turnovers you see from even well coached teams.

tractor57
    Participant

^ this
    In the day basketball also meant playing some defense. We can debate UVa’s approach but we cannot debate the discipline and the final result. I like watching UVa play.

redisgood
    Participant

Jay Bilas talking about Jaimie Luckie: “He didn’t invent the game. He just thinks he did.”

wufpup76
    Keymaster

Were State as such…

This ran through my mind while watching the game last night. It was actually a pretty clean contest – ‘Hoos just outworked them. I imagined how good State could be with even a small amount of discipline. Defensive positioning and rebounding (not 4 guys going for the same blocked shot), shot selection, when not to pull the trigger and make the defense work. Tons of talent, almost zero court awareness in terms of controlling game flow and dictating to the opponent.

As for style of play – UVa has cleaned up quite a bit in the last two seasons with a focus on offensive efficiency. We can argue about defense and style of play, but UVa went from an NIT team to a Top 10 team after focusing on offensive improvement and efficiency.

They still run the slowest pace in the country. In the past, they killed themselves by not being able to score and would lose early home games to low-major opponents. Their pace of play and inability to score kept inferior opponents in the game with them. Now their pace of play truly works in their favor b/c they can actually score and put real pressure on their opponents.

In fairness to those who rag on watching UVa games – of which I am one – for every game they have dismantling an opponent who favors an up-tempo game, like the Unx game, there’s a game against a fellow slow down team that is brutal to watch. Like the Rutgers game, which was 18-17 at the half and Rutgers scored 8 freaking points in the 2nd half. Everybody’s mileage varies. I tried to watch some of that game since Rutgers was leading at the half. I could not. 45-26 final.

If someone wants to hold that up as great basketball to watch, be my guest. If Wisconsin and UVa were to face each other in the NCAA tournament it might very well be the ugliest game in the history of college basketball. I’ve got nothing against good defensive basketball, but if you get a bad set of refs and two teams willing to go slow as molasses, well … . 41-39 finals can be exciting, I guess.

BJD95
    Keymaster

So…UVA won, I take it?

Still in complete sports media blackout since midway through Q4 of the Super Bowl when I could tell where The Narrative was heading.

wufpup76
    Keymaster

^They did, sir.

I could be mean and just copy/paste ‘Brady’ over and over, but I’ll hold off 🙂

BJD95
    Keymaster

I blame Hauschka for saying “Middlebury College” during his intro and breaking my cold, black wolven heart.

Rick
    Keymaster

It simply has to be a generational thing.

Were State as such…

I agree they are disciplined but IMO their defense is brutal. It is not move your feet defense it is grab clutch and hold defense.

And, yeah, NCSU could use a ton of that discipline.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.