UNC Problem is an NCAA Problem

Home Forums All StateFansNation UNC Problem is an NCAA Problem

Viewing 15 posts - 26 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    Prowling Woofie
    Participant

It’s hilarious that UNX has people thinking this has only gone on for 18 years ! I had a good friend that played football for them back in the Dick Crum years (late 70’s- early 80’s), and he said “they” offered to write his papers and do his assignments. He was a brilliant student, and didn’t trust “them” to make better grades than he would on his own, so he declined, but the ‘service’ was available back then….

pakfanistan
    Participant

I’ve got a friend who was a recruit in the late 60’s who said Carolina offered him a car, money, and to give his girlfriend a job.

Of course he’s a huge Carolina fan. His favorite UNC player is Roman Gabriel. Seriously.

MP
    Participant

^ I confess to having no clue what that means.

Ed89
    Participant

http://unc.edu/campus-updates/boxill-elected-faculty-chair/

Just a couple of classic lines:

“Boxill, who has been at UNC since 1985, is an award-winning faculty member whose writing and teaching focuses on ethics, social and political philosophy, feminist theory and ethics in sports.”

“Boxill is editor of “Sports Ethics: An Anthology” and “Issues in Race and Gender” and is past president of the International Association for Philosophy in Sport.”

You just couldn’t make this stuff up. Higher education and academia at the Flagship…hypocrisy doesn’t even begin to define it…

YogiNC
    Participant

Of course he’s a huge Carolina fan. His favorite UNC player is Roman Gabriel. Seriously.

^ I confess to having no clue what that means.

Gabriel played for State. Get it?

Smarter than the average bear

phssthpok
    Participant

This is *way* worse than point shaving. Chapel Hill’s cheating potentially robbed competing institutions of millions of $ in alumni donations and sale of athletic merchandise, particularly in the NCAA basketball tournament and championship games. More subtly, when schools excel in sports, and especially win titles, applications for admissions go up and typically GPA and SAT scores. *That* improves your schools ranking in US News and elsewhere, giving an additional boost. How much of that helped UNC-Sham keep their vaunted “best public in the country.”

The NCAA needs to set an example and:
    Take away *all* the wins from anyone in a sham course. (Just the people who the course kept GPA eligible is not enough. If someone is carrying a bogus course with a guarantied grade, that’s one less *real* course they had to take that would have sunk their GPA and let them take a lighter academic load. Simply taking the course made their other courses easier.)

Take the titles and banners. Men’s basketball, women’s basketball, football, women’s soccer…any sport.

Pay restitution to all the teams for the vacated wins, especially Illinois and Michigan State in basketball, who they cheated out of significant cash.

MrPlywood
    Participant

^ I was going to add baseball to the list, and when looking up the Hobbs Johnson story about his miraculous “A’s in 4 classes” summer school session which got his eligibility back…

http://www.dailytarheel.com/article/2013/02/hes-back-in-the-bullpen

…I found this gem. Carol Folt, boldly going to the heart of the problem and handing down discipline to the little guys. Anyone heard of any of these people? I know Boxill now, but not two days ago. Get ’em Folt, get ’em! Maybe you can borrow Roy’s BB gun to take out these scalawags.

Jaimie Lee

Tim McMillan

Bobbi Owen

Jan Boxill

Alphonse Mutima

Corey Holliday

Travis Gore

Brent Blanton

Beth Bridger

http://www.dailytarheel.com/article/2014/10/faculty-athletic-counselors-facing-disciplinary-action

MP
    Participant

^^^ yes I know Roman Gabriel played for State…. which is WHY I don’t get it! 🙂

YogiNC
    Participant

The UNX homer had no clue that Gabriel played for STATE, not UNX.

Smarter than the average bear

MP
    Participant

I guess that’s what I thought it meant. It was so preposterous I figured I must be missing something.

pakfanistan
    Participant

The more I think about it, the more I think it’s the kiss of death for the NCAA unless they come down hard on UNC.

The only other option is to expose a bunch of other schools, hide behind “it was a systemic problem” and promise to fix it going forward.

MrPlywood
    Participant

“The only other option is to expose a bunch of other schools, hide behind ‘it was a systemic problem’ and promise to fix it going forward.”

That’s my “too big to fail” scenario. I think it’s plausible.

JasonP
    Participant

I’ll be pleasantly shocked if any real punishment is given. Fully expecting nothing from the NCAA on this for the men’s programs, but could see the women’s bball program to get the worst of it, whatever “it” is.

If they actually do something to the men’s programs, then I’ll be waiting for the Penn State treatment to occur, a la reducing the penalties after a season or so because, “Gosh-darn it, they’re just so dadgum likeable! Awwwww…see, they’re really sorry!”

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

As we suggested here days ago…
    The NCAA problem is a bigger problem for xNC than the opposite case..

The white elephant in the room speaks frankly here… but is anybody really listening??

Of course, Emmert is “shocked”…. ’cause just like some of the folks over in Chapel Hill… he “thought they (both xNC and the NCAlwaysAbsent) were doing things the ‘right way’…

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    Wulfpack
    Participant

Emmert calls Report troubling, disturbing and shocking:

“Just based on the (Kenneth) Wainstein report, this is a case that potentially strikes at the heart of what higher education is about,” Emmert said Monday. “Universities are supposed to take absolutely most seriously the education of their students, right? I mean that’s why they exist, that’s their function in life. If the Wainstein report is accurate, then there was severe, severe compromising of all those issues, so it’s deeply troubling. … It’s absolutely disturbing that we find ourselves here right now.”

http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/10/27/4269526/ncaas-emmert-calls-n-carolina.html?sp=/99/100/&ihp=1#storylink=cpy

Viewing 15 posts - 26 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.