UNC 81 NC State 79 — The Day After

Home Forums All StateFansNation UNC 81 NC State 79 — The Day After

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    StateFans
    Keymaster

The N&O’s headline read something like — ‘Close Call. Familiar Result.’ Can’t argue that. Slow Start Of their various articles, the N&O focused on ho
    [See the full post at: UNC 81 NC State 79 — The Day After]

PapaJohn
    Participant

They did it to us again. Roy must be celebrating big time today.

Hate it

MattN
    Participant

I don’t even get mad enough to throw things anymore.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Down here at the Beach …
    the Sun came out for the first time since Sunday, as expected, …
    for a little while anyway…

It still cool but it’s January …

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    13OT
    Participant

I thought Turner had 2 fouls when he was benched in the first half.

wufpup76
    Keymaster

I thought Turner had 2 fouls when he was benched in the first half.

I believe that’s correct. Got his 3rd quickly in the 2nd half, then 4th w/ about 10:30 left in the game (iirc).

He got his 4th foul at the start of the three minute stretch where the score went from 54-52 to 64-52. Gott had no choice but to put him back in quickly after taking him out.

redisgood
    Participant

It was two fouls. Luckie had it timed pretty well. 2nd foul with 10:19 to go in the 1st half, and 4th foul with 10:05 to go in the 2nd half. The man knows what he’s doing.

nav
    Participant

Sorry, but this is kinda funny…and true.

https://twitter.com/circlesky88/status/555796014016507904/photo/1

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

… Reports from Chapel Hill are surfacing that suggest xNC basketball players did not have to attend class after last night’s two point victory in Raleigh, over NC State.

It appears the Team Bus was detoured in Durham and late getting back to Chapel Hill after the game.

Coach Roy Williams traveled back to Chapel Hill separately in a personal vechicle. When asked about players attending class today, Coach Williams replied…”As far as I know, they go to class every day.”.

maverick_ncsu
    Participant

Does anyone have a vine or video of the illegal “pick” Meeks “set” for Paige on Paige’s last 3? The TV had a great down-the-court shot of Meeks extending both arms which pushed our guy into Barber (?) which tripped him and gave Paige the open look. Again, not a cause for the loss, but would like to see that one again.

PapaJohn
    Participant

nav – “Paige Arena” – hilarious!! (and pretty well photoshopped)

ILPackfan
    Participant

Well, they have a chance to return the favor in Chapel Hill on February 24. Here’s hoping.

DC_wolf
    Participant

Apart from the tactics – both offensively & defensively – what bugs me the most, as it does everyone who comes to this site; as it does w/ EVERY successive win by those powder blues – is the fact that after proven & documented evidence of rampant, systemic, orchestrated fraud & deception by that program – orchestration documented to have gone back over TWO decades.. they keep getting away w/ it. Nothing is being done.

While on the other hand we continue to pay – to this day – for what amounted to little more than a handful of free shoes & free tickets. Infuriating.

Texpack
    Participant

The second foul on Turner was BSW at his finest. He was late finding his man who was headed to the FT line area so he ended up charging at him totally out of control. The Hole recognized his vulnerability and simply sidestepped Turner resulting in a blatant reach/grab on his part.

His fourth foul was a relatively close charge/block situation where he should have had enough sense to back off and concede the layup since he was playing with three fouls.

BJD95
    Keymaster

It’s almost like there’s no such thing as justice in this rotten f-ing world, eh?

BJD95
    Keymaster

The second foul on Turner was BSW at his finest. He was late finding his man who was headed to the FT line area so he ended up charging at him totally out of control. The Hole recognized his vulnerability and simply sidestepped Turner resulting in a blatant reach/grab on his part.

His fourth foul was a relatively close charge/block situation where he should have had enough sense to back off and concede the layup since he was playing with three fouls.

More than the shooting, it’s the awkward/grabby non-defense plays like that truly earn the nickname. When it’s in full force, it’s uncanny.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

^beej… you’re a Member of the Court, right?

mak4dpak
    Participant

Roy said his team was Lucky to win, maybe he should have said Jamie Lucky. Some bad calls, but no excuse for the loss. What does it take to make these guys realize when you take the court, you better be ready to play, from the beginning? Inexcusable, and can’t blame the coach on this one. As for Cat, the more I see him play the less I like him. He was terrible in the game, and he played defense on Paige. Guess that explains his great game. Put Barber on the bench, until he learns to do his job on the court. We lose by 2, and shoot 33% in the first half. Even the 40s would have won the game. It would be really nice, if the next time around, we correct all these inexcuable errors, and play from the start, and beat the heels on their court. Hate the bs I have to hear after we lose to them. Tempted so say they probably had a lot more practice time, since they didn’t have to go to class.

Adventuroo
    Participant

I guess we all saw different things. I thought the Refs (Luckie, Nestor and Dorsey….of KH Fame) were very aggressive on State in the first half and let UNC be REALLY aggressive on defense.

THEN, the whistles got erratic. I looked up at the Foul Counter once and it was State 8 & UNC 2. That pretty well sums it up.

When the game seemed over, then the refs let up…..next thing you know, Old State’s acomin’ back….Donchno?

The “let them shot a FT” at the end was really bizarre. The Vegas spread was 4.5, so maybe the ref’s need to get it closer.

AS to the REAL reasons….other than ALL the NCSU Coaches were in WHITE SHIRTS and RED TIES….

Cat looked lost. He is a great, natural talent. BUT, when he has to play and THINK what to do to run the floor, it overloads him mentally and then cuts into his innate ability.

I’m all for Lacey being the point and letting Cat run up his averages. BUT, Cat only had ONE foul. He MUST get more aggressive on DEFENSE.

BUT, Debbie did not call me and ask me to consult with GOTT…

Primewolf
    Participant

When is someone going to put together the statistics that show the referee bias. We need to install 20 or so camera devices that cover every angle of the court and allow objective analysis of every foul called. Publish the system and produce the stats. Dynamically so as to show timing of critical calls and game situation

The data would be compelling at some point. Patent and sell the system.

MrPlywood
    Participant

Prime, I don’t know if you’re being sarcastic or serious, but I would be interested to see such a study. Or more of them (see links). I don’t know how one would go about setting it up though. I’m pretty sure that confirmation bias has been discussed in relation to State bball, and I’m probably guilty of that to an extent.

I have bookmarked some relevant studies, probably posted these before but here they are again. There’s some interesting information in them, enough for me to conclude that there is probably both conscious (acknowledged “tendencies”, personal agendas, aka the KH Effect) and subconscious (the Blues are just “better”) factors at work.

Click to access Stanford-%20wertheim.pdf

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/02640410601038576#.VLi7T96qSgt
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/931502-referee-bias-quantifying-the-homer-effect-and-officiating-home-field-advantage
    http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/02701367.1988.10605486#.VLi7yd6qSgt

wufpup76
    Keymaster

I’m pretty sure that confirmation bias has been discussed in relation to State bball

Hell, I’m pretty sure all State fans have been guilty of this at one point or another (or all the time!) 🙂

Thanks for the links

BJD95
    Keymaster

^beej… you’re a Member of the Court, right?

In my semi-professional life, I negotiate office leases. Very neutral, which is good for the last shreds of my sanity.

eas
    Participant

Speaking of Neutral that’s exactly what gear CAT stays in all the time. Man that kid drives me crazy. Lots of talent with no urgency. Great defense but virtually no offense (passing or shooting). Not very helpful from the guard spot. He drives the lane well but never does it???

I want him to do well and I like him. However, he isn’t much presence in a game. Makes no difference I guess since Gott loves him. Leave Lacey at the point and have CAT as a sub to give him a breather. Get those Martin boys in the game!!!

redisgood
    Participant

Speaking of Neutral that’s exactly what gear CAT stays in all the time. Man that kid drives me crazy. Lots of talent with no urgency. Great defense but virtually no offense (passing or shooting). Not very helpful from the guard spot. He drives the lane well but never does it???

I want him to do well and I like him. However, he isn’t much presence in a game. Makes no difference I guess since Gott loves him. Leave Lacey at the point and have CAT as a sub to give him a breather. Get those Martin boys in the game!!!

We just need to be patient with Cat. He’s clearly trying to figure out the right way to play, and is struggling with it. If you watched Cat in high school, you would have seen his tendency was to go 150% speed all the time. He would drive and score with ease. Gott wants him to be a facilitator, as well as a shooter, as well as a game manager, as well as push the tempo, as well as drive the lane. That’s a lot to process, but I think he will get there.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 55 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.