Ugggg

Home Forums All StateFansNation Ugggg

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 72 total)
  • Author
    StateFans
    Keymaster

With the incredibly positive recruiting weekend that Dave Doeren produced — click here for more — a signature win over Notre Dame last night would’v
    [See the full post at: Ugggg]

MattN
    Participant

We are NC State.
    No lead is enough for us.
    No one hears my scream.

Rick
    Keymaster

Did anyone NOT expect us to blow that lead? I figured best case was we figure out a way to win in the last second but stupidity and lack of rebounding killed us… again.

We are who we think we are.

WolfBlood
    Participant

That inbound pass, sigh. So simple.

Rick
    Keymaster

Posting so I can turn off the alerts

PackofMac
    Participant

Our balls have been deflated long before Bellicheat and the Pats got the idea.

PapaJohn
    Participant

Two soul crushing losses in one week. Brutal. Looking like another 19 win season.

The pattern is set, both at the game level, and on the season. We look good (UNC, Miami, ND), and then disappoint (UNC, Miami, ND). I think we’ll squeeze into the NCAAT and win one (look good and get our hopes up), but then collapse and not make it out of the first weekend. (disappoint)

And don’t forget, we have not had our annual injury yet. Somebody important always misses playing time due to injury.

I thought this year was going to be better.

Lumpy
    Participant

This is the most NC State of all NC State teams I’ve watched. That one will hurt for awhile. Which is ridiculous since anyone who has watched this team for more than 3 games should’ve seen it coming as soon as we started forcing up shots at the end of the first half. Fun fact: in games this season where State is up/down by four inside the 3:00 mark, the Wolfpack is 1-6. Being as how they should be favored in their next 3, it seems like a good time for a break because I just don’t want to see them give one away to Clemson, Wake, or GT.

Whiteshoes67
    Participant

Never any doubt that the lead would be squandered, or why, just a question of how fast for me, and could we manage to pull it out.

Rest assured that if gottfried’s team builds a lead against a quality opponent, they’re either burning up the nets or the other team is ice cold. Same with the duke win. They had an off night from 3, not on account of our defense. When the percentages even out, we often find ourselves with a loss or desperately trying to hang on. Really bad choke.

BassPacker
    Participant

Lets all face it….we are a football school.

Rick
    Keymaster

Never any doubt that the lead would be squandered, or why, just a question of how fast for me, and could we manage to pull it out.

Rest assured that if gottfried’s team builds a lead against a quality opponent, they’re either burning up the nets or the other team is ice cold. Same with the duke win. They had an off night from 3, not on account of our defense. When the percentages even out, we often find ourselves with a loss or desperately trying to hang on. Really bad choke.

Water always seems to find its level. At least for us it does.

Whiteshoes67
    Participant

Who really thought we’d shoot 60% from 2 and 50% from 3 for the whole game, even against a defense that’s worse than our own?

Scoring 29 points in a half isn’t going to get it done against most teams, and certainly not the Irish.

Don’t know the backstory on cat not starting and only playing 20, but we can only be excellent if he is. Subbing out one of the best on ball defenders in the country for more offense is classic gottfried. You have to guard us, too, blah, blah, blah

bill-1956
    Participant

That’s pretty good MattN. LOL

packbackr04
    Participant

in Gotts defense, Cat has been turrible the past few games and the Martin twins have been playing much better. While I think Cat should have been brought in much sooner in the second half (like right after that Grant kid drove the lane twice in a row on us early in the second half) thats not what lost the game for us. Poor rebounding and decision making down the stretch sealed it.

Whiteshoes67
    Participant

^i totally agree. Only pointing out this as an example of the questionable core coaching philosophy of this staff. More offense. Less defense, less rebounding.

And that’s fine. But if that’s the philosophy, then why insist on playing at that pace? You need more possessions, not less.

Whiteshoes67
    Participant

Norte dame is very similar to us. They’re pretenders. If they get favorable match ups they do damage come NCAA time, but most likely they’ll run into an athletic squad whose tough on defense but better than average on offense, and they’ll get sent packing

PackofMac
    Participant

Anthony “Cat” Barber: purrrthetic

StateFans
    Keymaster

When I see stats like this: “in games this season where State is up/down by four inside the 3:00 mark, the Wolfpack is 1-6”

…I unfortunately can’t help but think about coaching.

This definitely feels like an issue that we have had across all of Gott’s teams…not just this year’s squad (that has nobody left over from year one and two of his tenure).

It would be interesting to see what Gottfried’s record is while at State in ‘close games’ as defined by something like one possession games. Then it would be interesting to segment the games into buckets of good teams vs not so good teams. For example, we beat UNC-G in a one possession game last year. UNC-G! Not quite the same as constantly losing to the tougher ones.

Whiteshoes67
    Participant

Barber needs to shoot and score more, not less. His unwillingness to take the 3 this year hurts us. He’s 25% but has only attempted 20. A starting pg in acc playing 30+ a game, and only 20 attempts, wtf? He has to be willing to take that shot more within the offense.

Charley2013
    Participant

This team has overachieved versus preseason predictions. Agree we should have won this game but we are still very young and it shows when things tighten up and Lacey and Turner are having off games. Thought Cat really helped us yesterday and could have used a little more of him to counter their guards and defense is the real key in the second half if I am not overstating the obvious.

graywolf
    Participant

Turner was 4 out of 10 while Lacey was 4 out of 13 for the night. We are as good as Turner and Lacey are that given night. When they don’t shoot well then we are not very good against ACC teams.

Rick
    Keymaster

This team has overachieved versus preseason predictions.

So how writers thought we would place is relevant to this discussion?

Rick
    Keymaster

Turner was 4 out of 10 while Lacey was 4 out of 13 for the night. We are as good as Turner and Lacey are that given night. When they don’t shoot well then we are not very good against ACC teams.

This team wins when the transfers play well.

wolfbuff
    Participant

Whiteshoes, I agree that Cat needs to score more. And it needs to come from the outside, but not necessarily 3s. He was starting to develop a nice 16-18 foot jumper last year. What happened to that? He’s extremely single dimensional right now and it’s impacting his ability to drive. That said, even when he does he throws up ill-advised shots rather than dish. He had 3 or 4 of his soft layups blocked last night.

The bigger question to me is not why Cat didn’t play so much, but why he held Kyle Washington out so much in the second half. He was crushing it in the 1H and was not in any foul trouble. I know they went small but we lost both defense and post scoring when he was out. Maybe with him in there (and a little better help defense) Grant doesn’t get so many uncontested layups.

NIT, here we come!

JeremyH
    Participant

This one hurt like that Alex Len tip-off a couple of years ago. It was also very much like the Wofford game in multiple respects. (including experience being a factor)

Here is what I saw. Gott’s hand has been forced to play freshman in more time, they are generally playing very well (future is bright, blah blah), but they are still freshman and making mistakes in fouling and some decision-making. I knew that we were in trouble as soon as Abu got his fourth foul, he’s been doing his best Richard Howell ‘foul situation’ impression. I would not have been Abu in for the final play, I said aloud ‘save him for overtime’. While I think that Cat was effective off the bench, but I feel like the ball is not touching the right hands in critical situations, and the players should be aware of this; instead, its controlled chaos.., which leads to my next point.

Like I have seen in previous hard fought losses, we lose our advantage when we settle for jump shots. In my opinion, each time we score off ball movement, we have had a successful possession. We get away from this too easy. We are not so good at jump shooting that we should really consider this as a first option. (No need to panic just because there is 10 on the shot clock, run the offense!) So sometimes I feel like a made jumpshot is the wrong type of reinforcement. Its just not a high percentage play for us, and takes pressure off the defense and foul situation. We reached the Bonus much later than ND because of our abandoning of playing in the paint. I’m sure earlier in the season Gott told Turner and Lacey they need to carry the offensive load, but we will continue to stagnate if our first option is a forced shot by these two instead of good ball movement and a slashing Martin/Abu/Washington.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 72 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.