Tyler Lewis transfers to Butler

Home Forums All StateFansNation Tyler Lewis transfers to Butler

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 76 total)
  • Author
    Whiteshoes67
    Participant

Credit to Lewis for helping us win a few during the second half, but without Barber, we would’ve lost even more. When Lewis was on the court, with Turner, Warren, and two bigs, you simply had nobody who could effectively create a shot against man-to-man defenses or zones. Nobody. When the shot clock ran down, good luck. As good as Warren is, and as great as he moves without the ball, he’s not beating many off the bounce. Wells and Cat were our two guys who could beat their man consistently. They didn’t always make the right decisions, but that comes with experience. IF you want to advance in the NCAA tournament, you need solid defense and players with multiple skills, a few role players, and a little depth. Lewis could’ve been a contributor on this team going forward, but he didn’t want to accept his likely role. He jetted. He could’ve worked on his game, improved his jump shot, his strength and quickness, but he didn’t want to. Like lots of Lowe recruits, they didn’t want to Work.

Lunatic Fringe
    Participant

It is interesting that we have killed Gott over his team’a defense and the guys we have lost due to transfers all seemed to struggle in that area (variety of reasons: slow, small, attitude).

He directly/indirectly is trying to fix one of his weaknesses and we slam him for it. Gott can coach O, but needs the guys with right tools/attitude to play D.

Tyler was not going to be happy as back-up PG and his inability to defend his opposing number was always going to relegate him to back-up duty in ACC. I liked Tyler, but that is just the way it is.

Cat’s performance when he went toe to toe with SR Patterson from Pitt (one of best scorers in conference) with a significant size advantage shows what he can do. There was a reason Cat was in at end of game situations.

I look at next year’s team and I see a balanced/athletic team that looks capable (on paper) of being a better defensive team. Lacey has played PG so can backup even if we don’t get Graham.

redisgood
    Participant

I don’t get it. It’s almost like some guys here are intentionally ignoring Cat’s development during the year.

Just take the 3 ACC tournament games against Miami, Syracuse, and Duke as an example:
    Points Assists Turnovers Steals Minutes
    Cat 21 14 5 4 71
    Tyler 7 11 2 0 55

Like I say, I’m not getting the gloom and doom over Cat as our PG for next year.

Edit: I guess I don’t have the pasting figured out, but it is points 21 to 7, assists 14 to 11, turnovers 5 to 2, steals 4 to 0, and minutes 71 to 55.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

He directly/indirectly is trying to fix one of his weaknesses and we slam him for it. Gott can coach O, but needs the guys with right tools/attitude to play D.

There are a lot of assumptions in that conclusion. Actual evidence shows that gott’s teams have always been weak defensively.

http://www.statefansnation.com/forums/topic/what-does-it-take-to-reach-the-final-four-part-i/

redisgood
    Participant

Another Cat comparison. Shabazz Napier averaged 7.8 points, 3.0 assists, and 1.8 tunovers a game playing 23.8 minutes as a freshman. Cat averaged 8.5 points, 3.5 assists, and 1.7 turnovers playing 24.2 minutes a game.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Reasons Today’s “Kids” Transfer…

1. They don’t like being yelled at during practice and during games…
    2. Parents know more about what’s best for their kid than Coach…
    3. Social Media…
    4. Global Warming…
    5. The residual effects of the “Free Love” generation…
    6. World Wide Wes and the rest of the AAU crowd…
    7. Obamacare… or anything related thereto…
    8. Girlfriend got pregnant…
    9. Grandma is sick…
    10. Broken Promises or Unrealistic Expectations…
    11. Head Coaching change…
    12. Somebody better than them showed up…

Tyler… who, by all accounts, is a good kid and played hard for us… appears to be batting around .500 …

Mods… let’s close this topic at 5:00pm today and talk about something else…
    This one is starting to smell like 5 day old mullet wrapped in newspaper…

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    Wulfpack
    Participant

I tend to look at the season holistically. Cat was what he was. If he were so awesome, he would have started over Lewis and obtained the majority of the minutes. But Lewis ran the offense better and continually fed our horse. He just had that connection with Warren.

I’m not knocking Cat. He can become a very good player for us, and is obviously the much better option on D. But let’s not kid ourselves as if he’s already there.

redisgood
    Participant

Sorry for the added post. My edit feature disappeared.

A quick check of a couple other PG shows Cat’s numers were significantly better in all catrgories than Shane Larkin’s as a freshman, and not terribly behind those of Trey Burke. With Burke the big difference was in points and minutes played. Burke scored 6 more a game, but played 10 more minutes.

When someone, I think beachbill says Gott has a lot of work ahead to develop a point guard (or something to that effect), I just scratch my head and wonder why someone would make a statement like that. Cat as a freshman is on a par with elite level points guards.

And you can look at a season holistically, but when you do that, you are including a significant freshman learning curve especially in the early part of the season. To the point of minutes, Tyler may have started, but Cat still played more minutes each game than Tyler (about 23 to 17).

There is a freshman PG for UCLA, Zach Lavine. He is projected as a 1st rounder in this year’s draft. Cat’s numbers were better than Lavine’s accross the board.

Whiteshoes67
    Participant

If Lewis didn’t have burger boy beside his name, few would care that he transferred. Cat will be an all-ACC player sooner than later.

Texpack
    Participant

The game Lewis played against Xavier was one of the best floor games I’ve seen from an NC State PG since Corchiani. Lewis and Cat would have been great to have on a baseball team because you could have platooned them. (just like Des and BSW)

I would have preferred that Lewis embrace his role as the back-up and play out his four years in Raleigh. If he was going to be a cry baby, then it’s better that he accepted the demotion by going to a lesser program to be a bigger fish in a smaller pond.

One thing you learn in life is that even though the situation you are currently in may really suck, you can still learn from it. Learning how to put the team first and how to be adaptable are both traits that serve people well over the long haul. If 40% of D-1 Men’s Basketball players are transferring during their first two years, then there’s not much of that going on anymore.

The real shame in all of this is that Tyler couldn’t just keep the lip zipped and display a little class on the way out of the door. Gott has been way more tolerant than Lewis deserves.

Lunatic Fringe
    Participant

Actual evidence shows that gott’s teams have always been weak defensively.

VA – I stated that Gott has always been criticized for his team’s D. Where did I state he was a defensive wiz (historically or now)? My point was you are not improving your team defense by having Tyler suit up for the majority of your minutes at PG in the ACC.

Cat improves your D just by being on the court (vs Tyler). Coach Gott can use his strength on offense to help develop Cat in that area.

redisgood
    Participant

Last year’ steam of supposed stars, mostly Sid’s recruits were 256 in the country in scoring defense. This year’ steam largely made up of freshmen, improved to 151. Obviously still mediocre,but a huge jump. It will improve further by not having Tyler on the court. And the freshmen will be sophomores. Gott is recruiting the type of player willing to play defense. I guess we’ll see how next year plays out, but I’m predicting we will be a decent defensive team.

Ransompack
    Participant

Tyler couldn’t hit a shot if his life depended on it. The only person I’ve seen to try a bounce pass through a double-team on a fast break.

Good-bye
    Good luck
    Good riddance

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

^Red…

Yes Sir… I said that… more than once… and so did more than a few other posters…

Start with this…

One for THIRTEEN in the Dean Dome… remember that game ???

It took GOTT & Company ALL summer, ALL pre-season AND three fourths of the regular season to “get ANTHONY’s attention and BEGIN to understand”… what a Point Guard is supposed to do …

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

^Red…

Yes Sir… I said that… more than once… and so did more than a few other posters…

Start with this…

One for THIRTEEN in the Dean Dome… remember that game ???

It took GOTT & Company ALL summer, ALL pre-season AND three fourths of the regular season to “get ANTHONY’s attention and BEGIN to understand”… that AAU attitude / stuff won’t work here…

After you’ve really figured all that out… then start looking at how to fix/teach the mechanical stuff…

AND I also said… ANTHONY would be All-ACC his Senior year… IF he sticks around that long…

Now… it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out that a whole lot of HARD WORK will be required to get from Point A to Point B…

(and if it matters… I coached basketball (JH & HS levels) ten seasons…)

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

^yep… I said that… more than once…

Start with this… One for THIRTEEN in the Dean Dome… and it took GOTT & Company all summer, all pre-season and three fourths of the season to get ANTHONY to understand… that AAU attitude / stuff won’t work here…

After you’ve really figured that out… then start look at how to fix/teach the mechanical stuff…

AND I also said… ANTHONY would be All-ACC his Senior year… IF he sticks around that long…

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

^yep… I said that… more than once…

Start with this… One for THIRTEEN in the Dean Dome… and it took GOTT & Company all summer, all pre-season and three fourths of the season to get ANTHONY to understand… that AAU SH$T won’t work here…

After you’ve really figured that out… then start look at how to fix/teach the mechanical stuff…

choppack1
    Participant

OK. I am sorry, 2nd of gott’s 4 year recruits to specifically call out both upon leaving….keeping in mind that all 4 of his 4 year recruits will not likely return for a 3rd year…but by all means keep on blaming the teenagers.

Look gott may be awesome and hang some banners, but I am tempted to side with 2 kids who seem like pretty hard workers and good kids. Does it mean I wont support gott – no….but it does mean that I probably wouldn’t want my kid to play for him

lawful
    Participant

Can anyone tell me anything about where we stand with recruiting for 2015? I know we haven’t landed anyone but there are a few big shots in which we’re still in the running. Does anyone know anything more than that?

pakfanistan
    Participant

Can anyone tell me anything about where we stand with recruiting for 2015? I know we haven’t landed anyone but there are a few big shots in which we’re still in the running. Does anyone know anything more than that?

Supposedly we don’t NEED anyone for 2015, so we’re shooting for the best of the best in ’15 and ’16, and taking a chance we don’t land anybody in ’15.

As I understand it.

TheCOWDOG

LMAO.

You women are terrible.
    Come’on. Let’s go shuck these peas.

Gowolves
    Participant

CD, ROTFLMAO!

infinity_hearts
    Participant

You guys are acting like Tyler Lewis is no good and has done nothing. Look at the stats! He made things happened when we needed him to. He knows what to do, he creates open shots, he could make his free throws, yeah he wasn’t fast on D, but did that stop him from doing good things? No.. Cat barber came in and just kind of did what he wanted didn’t really create opportunities. He just drove to the basket. You guys need to understand his reasons, put yourself in his shoes. I think he’s at a better place and will get the playing time he deserves.

infinity_hearts
    Participant

Yes thank you. Someone finally understands.

Wufpacker
    Participant

I don’t think anyone is claiming that Lewis is no good. He certainly has a lot of desirable offensive tools for a PG, but not all of them. And his liabilities on defense became his biggest downfall. Not being ready to defend bigger, quicker guys was something he wasn’t able to overcome, at least not up to now, and it had him sitting more than he thought he should.

IF he couldn’t abide sitting behind someone who is, at this current time, more game ready for high D1 ball than he is, then the smartest thing he ever did was to transfer. Not so much to get away from the situation at NCSU (though from his POV that is of course what it was about), but to let his body and cbb learning curve mature an extra year.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 76 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.