Tyler Lewis transferring….

Home Forums StateFans Basketball Tyler Lewis transferring….

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 101 total)
  • Author
    bill.onthebeach
    Participant

… ^Lo Brown, a “natural two”, could have been a “great” Point Guard, if he had GOTT his head right and stayed one more season…
    … and Tyler — with a little more athleticism OR some REAL HELP from his teammates– could also have been one of the best ever in Red & White…

So when Anthony transfers or goes into the draft after next season… ( and some more promising, but totally unproven, recruit is waiting in the wings… )… now you all know why….

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    redcanine
    Participant

Gott was a point guard. He has a thing about point guards. He turned a 2-guard into an NBA point guard. How much further could he have helped Tyler? Tyler already knew how to play, but he wasn’t big or athletic enough to stand out or take over. What’s he gonna say, “Tyler, you’re doing great. Now just grow four inches and gain 20 pounds.”?

I want 6’1 or 6’2 athletes at this position who have the physical tools (speed, dribbling, strength, shooting) to kick butt. Hand ’em over to Gott and let him teach the position he knows so well. Send the bigs over to the Kevin McHale Academy.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Gott was a point guard. He has a thing about point guards… Hand ‘em over to Gott and let him teach the position he knows so well.

This explains “everything”…

except this…
    What if the kid just ain’t GOTT it… between the ears….??

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Speaking of what’s between the kids ears…

This kid had the attitude and heart Mr. Dog spoke of —

This is what we need… not just at Point Guard…
    … but at every position on the floor and on the bench…

Texpack
    Participant

Speaking of what’s between the kids ears…

This kid had the attitude and heart Mr. Dog spoke of –

This is what we need… not just at Point Guard…<br>
    … but at every position on the floor and on the bench…

I was unfortunate enough to watch him play his adjustment season after JUCO. After watching Sidney for four years the transition to Spud was ugly. That gives me hope for improvement from Des and Cat. Gott did an incredible job cobbling together minutes from a collection of severely flawed players.

Ransom
    Participant

TheCD sized up TL best. Stage was too big for him…and he was playing the lead.

colapack
    Participant

While I really enjoyed watching Tyler Lewis play this year and the way he fed TJW or JVB, I feel the expectation of a Guard is more like a Marcus Paige, Russ Smith, or Ennis. A team needs 5 legit scoring threats AND 5 legit defenders and taking care of the ball to compete. Otherwise you are too easy to gameplan around.

bh324
    Participant

Purvis wasn’t seen as a loss to the coaching staff. His attitude sucked and they were happy to see him go!!

nav
    Participant
    infinity_hearts
    Participant

Hate to see him go…
    We are going to struggle next year. We won’t have a real experienced point guard. Yeah we have Cat Barber, but Tyler Lewis knows how to control the offense better than anyone on the floor, as point guard. Will be an interesting season..

wilmwolf80
    Participant

Transfer season is where we learn that some grown men fans are just as immature as the teenagers they root for. I say best wishes to those that leave, and welcome aboard to those that come in to the program. Only choice we have is to play with the players that we have, and hope to maximize their abilities and minimize their deficiencies. None of the teams still alive in the tourney right now are perfect. They don’t have 5 skill guys on the court and 5 perfect subs. But they play as a team, and to me, that is the most important factor. There is no questioning that this year’s squad was more of a team than last year’s, hopefully we can continue building that.

redisgood
    Participant

Almost a year after the fact, it is fascinating to go back and read the various opinions. BJD, Cowdog, and a few others nailed it pretty good.

PackerInRussia
    Participant

I’m still rooting for Butler to continue the trend of teams winning the championship the year after an NC State PG transfers there (or at least a wannabe PG).

wufpup76
    Keymaster

blast from the past!

redisgood
    Participant

I guess my takeaways were, Cat did develop into a high caliber point guard, Lacey served as a good back up to Cat, the team didn’t fall apart, the new guys did well, the returning bigs showed some good development, and Gott got them back to the tourney. All’s well that ends well.

StateFans
    Keymaster

Great job bringing this back to the top for the conversation!

MP
    Participant

Oh boy, a classic revisited!

I was thinking earlier this week about Lewis in the framework of NC State’s 2014-2015 season to date. Here are the facts:

1. Tyler Lewis would have been lucky to sniff 5 minutes per game this season. And that may be generous.

2. The only way Lewis could have potentially benefitted our program would have been to redshirt this season. And that wasn’t gonna happen.

I guess if Jamie Dixon were our coach Tyler Lewis would have been NC State’s starting PG this season and been the national POY and the pending 1st pick in this June’s NBA draft. But alas, Gott is our coach so Lewis will have to wait a year on that NBA contract.

This is just too funny and awesome at the same time:

Perhaps McDonald’s should stick to what they do best, serving low quality dogwood to those individuals that can’t read the number next to the caloric category. A Blue Chip guard should be able to defend, create their own shot, consistently score when it counts, lead a team to victory no matter what and distribute the ball to the rest of the team. That well rounded blue chip guard has been missing from my pack happy meal for a long, long time. Tyler, I think you are a high character kid and I hope you find the right team. Really looking forward to next season. Should be interesting. Eat fresh, Anya.

Tau837
    Participant

LOL at all the Chicken Littles that posted in this thread last offseason.

redisgood
    Participant

Didn’t know where else to put this, but Tyler Harris (remember him?) announced he is transferring from Providence. Gee, what a surprise.

tjfoose1
    Participant

packalum44 gets an A+ for consistency.

tjfoose1
    Participant

Cat didn’t develop in a vacuum. If Lewis didn’t transfer, Cat ain’t being Cat. Among the reasons why is that he he sometimes cares too much.

Gott has his faults, but he gets bonus kudos for the right combo of patience,understanding, and firm hand in Cat’s development.

In spite of Barber’s youth, most here had already thrown up their hands in anger and frustration. Seems those folks benchmark all freshman by phenom/Kentucky standard. smh.

tjfoose1
    Participant

Per the McDonoad’s comment, McD’s AAs are chosen based on high school performance, NOT projected collegiate success.

Two completely different standards.

TheCOWDOG

Basketball savant in a football helmet.

LOLLers.

Do you think some folks can laugh at themselves?

Hey…all in fun…nothing but good medicine, here.

BJD95
    Keymaster

Much like Heisman trophy being an indicator for NFL success. Some correlation, but much less than one would expect.

I still don’t get how people could watch the games last year and not see the potential in Cat Barber, and not see how ridiculously awful TAFKAWBS’ defense was. Thank God it was MG making the decision, and he didn’t put it up for a popular vote.

Cat Barber’s development changed the season, and likely the entire arc of our basketball program.

wufpup76
    Keymaster

^People who actually know basketball – i.e. – other head coaches – drool over what Cat brings to the table (no pun intended).

Buzz Williams and Jamie Dixon raved about Barber over the weekend. They seriously did not stop talking about Barber the whole weekend.

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 101 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.