Tyler Lewis transferring….

Home Forums StateFans Basketball Tyler Lewis transferring….

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 101 total)
  • Author
    tractor57
    Participant

Back in my day on campus (eons ago) Sloan would have a number of transfers at the end of every season. In retrospect it seems he was playing the “waver wire” in most of those cases. V also had some. Not sure this transfer means anything other than a decision by the coaching staff on who will be the starting point guard at the beginning of next season.

I hate to see Tyler leave but it probably is the best for everyone.

Klumzboy
    Participant

All these people criticizing all the transfers over the past three years, look at who transferred, guys that weren’t getting playing time. Purvis got benched because TJ played better, same thing with Lewis, all the others didn’t get in the game. It just shows that Gottfried doesn’t play favorites, he plays who is playing at their best and that will benefit the team, and players can’t handle that.They’ve been told their whole lives they are the best and when someone says different they go somewhere else.

Mike
    Participant

BJD we have ONLY 2 ball handlers next year (and I haven’t seen Trevor’s handles frankly)…this isn’t a *shrug* type of loss. We lost UNC and Cuse’ GAME last year b/c we didn’t handle the ball well in late game situations. This is a game of inches and losing key starters HURTS.

This just further reinforces my analysis of Gott. Enjoy bubble teams and using Chipotlaway b/c we’re going to have lots of dirty undies over the next several years.

Yeah, well Tyler can handle the ball but could not beat the press. End of game against St.L Tyler hurt us. Not fast enough to beat with the dribble and not big enough to pass out of it.

hate to see him go but seems to me Cat was going to PG next year and Tyler saw his PT at another school.

Wufpacker
    Participant

I advise the middle ground. No need to panic (yet) but to say it’s not an issue at all isn’t correct.

+1

redcanine
    Participant

What’s all the bellyaching about? We pretty much knew that either he or Cat would be gone.

Good luck, Tyler.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Really disappointing to see some criticize Lewis. Dudes, he was our starting PG that got us going. He fed Warren all season. He’s not some no name bench player. I wish him very well.

BJD95
    Keymaster

What bothers me MUCH more than the transfer bug is our meh commitment to defense. In a sense, this is a positive that way. Assuming (as I think is at least 60/40 likely) that it boiled down to a choice…MG chose defense over offense. let’s hope that’s a good sign for next season.

I know I’m quite excited to see King Hippo and Abu (Allah-related meme pending) patrol the lane next season, making life very difficult for opposing bigs trying to score easy buckets.

DrWuffette1day
    Participant

2 posters seem to have a campaign against Gotta. Criticisms are fine but carried way overboard and suggesting replacement coaches at this juncture seems extreme, especially from 1 who claims personal conversations with the coach. It makes me think that he’s either nuts or he knows more than what he is posting. I am going with the vested interest theory and knows more than he is posting. That St Louis thread was ridiculous, the smart thread, the Miller talk, and talk of other coaches.

We were consistently last in the conference before Gott showed up. Now after 3 straight NCAA appearances with a bunch of mental cases on the team that the previous loser coach recruited (most of who were too lazy or not athletic enough to play in the ACC) , we want Gott gone. Wot, Wot? Crazy.

I liked TL because he was a blue chipper. I agree with the assessment that he needs a halfcourt set to distribute the ball. He is a liability on defense and is not an offensive threat. His vision on court is great but he never provided the leadership, which is the job of the pg regardless of the coach. Disappointed but understand. If he has any hope of playing NBA, he needs pt.

Transfers are normal with coaching transfers especially when considering the difference in coaching quality between Low and Gott. I don’t care where he goes- does not fit our program and wants pt vs team success- I do wish him well. Glad he stuck it out 2 years. Not having him this year to ease Cat would have been tough. Frankly, I am glad Low’s players are gone. Leslie, Brown (who had to sit a year because he could not qualify to enter State), Harrow, Purvis (admissions trouble). All were not mentally prepared for ACC basketball or college. I could list many, many more names of “quality” Low recruits… Let’s let it go but not forget. Let’s also be grateful to what we have now.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

… reading the Charlotte Observer article this morning….
    once again … it seems that a parent(Pop Lewis) has been playing the heavy hand in all this…

Ya’ll know… when you’re good at something… you are “encouraged” by a wide array of folks, including Mom & Pop, to “find out how good you really are…. to be the best you can be… even a GOAT”…

What nobody tells you is this….
    You will FAIL…

And on that day…what happens next is one of three things…

1. You look around and you are all by yourself… all the ‘encouragers’ have disappeared and aren’t coming back…

2. OR Somebody’s whispering… “this ain’t your fault.. it’s the other guy’s fault… just move on down the road and everything will be all right”…”

3. OR One person looks you straight in the eye… nose to nose… and says… “Son .. this happens to everybody… and you needed to know where this place is, otherwise you would have worried about it the rest of life… now… take your time, deal with it and then figure out what you’re going to do next”…

Now… Nobody knows for sure… but what if…

And while ya’ll bust your heads with that…
    I’m just going to give both Tyler AND GOTT & Company the benefit of the doubt.

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    BJD95
    Keymaster

You could look at this as WBS making a choice – he could be a very good backup PG at NC State, or a solid starter for a good mid-major program. He’s chosen the latter, and I will feel quite good for him if/when he succeeds at his ultimate landing spot.

No reason to be a d-ckhole about it (as Sweet Dee would say).

DrWuffette1day
    Participant

Bill, agree with you. However… if parents aren’t advocates to the kids who would be… Nope, not the coaches always. Coaches have their own agenda. It is up to the parents to get their kid mentally prepared for the everyday life. Coaches prepare you for the game.

I have no inside knowledge but can empathize with the tough decisions that TL and his parents are having to make. This seems like a great family. Kid is not happy and his closest friends either transferred or is getting ready to graduate. He is not getting the pt needed to get the exposure on a regular basis. I saw only 1 meltdown with this kid-friendly right before Christmas. Coach laid down the law and the parents provided the kid with support… Exactly the way it should have happened. If the parents were more pr inclined, they could have gone public with their dismay.

Good family, good kid. This might be the right move for TL. The problem is that they will never know but they want their son to be HAPPY- NBA or not.

TheCOWDOG

Somewhere over the rainbow bluebirds fly.

Rick
    Keymaster

What Gott had done on the court so far is pretty impressive. I am concerned with what appears to be a mess off the court. And having two McD AAs transferring is not good news no matter how you try to spin it. The much ballyhooed class from two years ago is gone. Again, no good way to spin that.

For some reason this program just feels like we are on the edge of a deep precipice and leaning way over looking in.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

… speaking of “supportive” parents…

There’s an old Bob Knight story that goes something like this…

Coach is recruiting some kid… tell his Pop… “I want your son to play ball for me at Indiana University.”
    Pop says “Sure thing… Coach”.

Coach says…”Now you need to understand one thing… for the next four years, I am going to be the biggest SOB you’ve ever heard of… and then in five to ten years… I’m going to be the greatest SOB you’ve ever heard of… Understand ?”

Pop says “No problem… Coach… everytime he comes home crying, with his tail ‘tween his legs… I’m just going to kick him right back over to you… For the next four years, he yours not mine… He’ll figure it out sooner or later… “.

Fastback68
    Participant

Perhaps McDonald’s should stick to what they do best, serving low quality dogwood to those individuals that can’t read the number next to the caloric category. A Blue Chip guard should be able to defend, create their own shot, consistently score when it counts, lead a team to victory no matter what and distribute the ball to the rest of the team. That well rounded blue chip guard has been missing from my pack happy meal for a long, long time. Tyler, I think you are a high character kid and I hope you find the right team. Really looking forward to next season. Should be interesting. Eat fresh, Anya.

DrWuffette1day
    Participant

Love you Mr. Dog.

In about 2-4 years, I would want to look at trends. I knew after 2 years what a disaster of a coach Low was. We seem to have immediate improvement and Gott has had to deal with bs over the past 3 years while trying to recruit his own guys.

I don’t think we belonged in the NCAAT this year- it was about the new ACC not our team’s performance. It is amazing the way he finds a way to win or put the team in position to win. Low’s teams could never look beyond themselves (really because they knew Low was not a good coach but a buddy). Gott sueded better than expected in getting them prepared.

redisgood
    Participant

There is no doubt Gott needs to shoulder some of the blame in this and a few other transfers. He’s not a “touchy feely” kind of coach, and not the greatest communicator in the world with his players. Combine that with all the “help” players get from family, friends, and handlers, and that makes for a pretty combustible situation.

I doubt Gott will ever change, so he needs to continue to recruit at a very high level to offset the inevitable. I can almost guarantee after next year we will lose at least one from Freeman, Anya, Washington, Abu, and the Martins.

DrWuffette1day
    Participant

Bill- great story. You know, our society has gone soft. When I played forever ago, all freshman could not have a car and we’re not allowed to go home the first semester. The latter was a bball rule. Coach wanted us to establish routines- no time to go home and stay concentrated on bball and school. We had bad cop/good cop on our coaching staff. It was a wise move.

My parents/family was close by so I saw them every month, plus the phone calls. But I consider it different for girls vs boys. Social media has really changed things too.

DrWuffette1day
    Participant

Red, I expect that to happen- transfers. Growth. If it didn’t, I would be very concerned.

Can you imagine all the promises and feeding unrealistic expectations Low made to kids and parents as he was being shown the door? He knew he was a goner in February. The only thing DY could have done was not tell him. They had a meeting in February. Humanistically, she did right. HR-wise she could have done differently. She did right but we are still dealing with Low fallout.

Whiteshoes67
    Participant

Lewis saw the righting on the wall. Regardless of his starter role during the second half of the ACC and increased minutes, the future was/is Cat. Either you accept that you’ll likely play second fiddle, and contribute, you bust your arse and improve the parts of your game that make that decision tougher, or you transfer. He chose option 3. Good luck. Move along.

TheCOWDOG

The way I see it…

I want a PG that is freaking fearless. I want a PG that keeps the ball center court in the eye of the hurricane, when the press and traps come.

With young Mr.Lewis, State did not have what I want. No slam…just reality.

Whiteshoes67
    Participant

From my view, Barber showed signs of improvement during the home stretch. With a year of experience, I like his upside. If we can stretch the floor a little more with shooters, something we desperately need, it will help Cat out a lot.

DrWuffette1day
    Participant

BJD/Rick, surprised little about your concern of transfers. I normally am lockstep with your views. I expect many transfers in the future too as the program transforms. Natural progression.

Enjoy the many great posts. Have to go write a paper but I will be watching this thread like an NCAA investigator. Wait… Nevermind… I look forward to reading ya’lls conversation.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Here’s the deal… your Point Guard needs to be the “smartest”, both in terms of raw intelligence and in terms of BB-IQ on the team, AND he has to have the most focus, discipline, thrive on pressure and be your floor leader…

…and make a few shots, make a few free throws and make some nice passes

… and that’s on offense…

On Defense… he needs to be able to lock down your opponent’s — Point Guard…

And do both of these for about 35 minutes a game…

Some of these are coachable skills and unfortunately, some are not.

———-

Now if you want to build a successful Program… You need the same guy playing Point Guard for a minimum of two consecutive seasons and then the “fun” starts…

———-

So let’s look at our starting point guards for the last couple of seasons…

Harrow…

Brown…
    then Tyler,
    then Brown again…

Anthony…
    then Tyler again…

now Anthony again…

DrWuffette1day
    Participant

Bill, great point… I agree.

But….. Brown was a 2 guy. He had to play point because of personnel issues. He also did a great job, except for the positive and on court leadership. His personality was more of a 2 guard too. Tyler could not do it- young and athletic ability. Hence, we are having that discussion too. Plus, he is the type of player that you have to leave in a while for him to get warmed up. Most of TL turnovers came early when he came off the bench.

Cat is our first pg. I really can’t name that many successful Fr point guards. They are not the norm.

Really leaving now!

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 101 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.