Tyler Lewis transferring….

Home Forums StateFans Basketball Tyler Lewis transferring….

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 101 total)
  • Author
    pakfanistan
    Participant

Bummer.

BJD95
    Keymaster

I assumed once Lutz announced he was staying, WBS would too. Never picked up anything from the rumor mill either. Que lastima.

Cat’s team now. He better stay healthy and work on his jump shot.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Gott keeps losing ’em.

Texpack
    Participant

Sad to see such a total lack of stones.

Wulfpack
    Participant

“I’d like to thank NC State, my teammates and coaches, and the Wolfpack Nation for the past two years. While I will be finishing my career at another school, I will always be grateful for the opportunity I had at NC State,” Lewis said in the release.

The 5-11 point guard started 18 games for NC State this season, including the last 14 contests of the season. Lewis averaged 4.4 points and 3.8 assists per game.

“I wish Tyler the best,” NC State head coach Mark Gottfried said.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Cat’s team now.

Leadership?

BassPacker
    Participant

From someone looking in from the outside, I do not understand the move. Is it because he thinks he deserves more playing time or is it because just not happy? It just seems its become an all about me mentality with college players now, not about for the good of the team. Not everyone can be starters, teams need role players but guess it more what have you done for me attitudes and less commitment to prove oneself on the practice floor. A jump the pasture fence as soon as the grass seems to need water. Its not always greener on the other side as some past transfers have proven. Whatever reason TL is leaving, I wish him the best.

randygupton
    Participant

2012 — DeShawn Painter
    2013 — Rodney Purvis
    2014 — Tyler Lewis

Why? For the Love of Jim Valvano … why???

Wulfpack
    Participant

We also lost the only Belgian guy I know, De They or some another. It isn’t good.

BJD95
    Keymaster

Based on what he said and hinted during the season, WBS clearly felt he should be the starter and play most of the minutes. I also thought it was pretty clear he didn’t like MG.

If the staff was basically told “pick one” I am glad we’re keeping Cat. Damned shame we couldn’t keep both, though.

Wulfpack
    Participant

I think we all knew this was a real possibility early in the year, even mid way. But he picked it up late and was the guy to feed Buckets. Clearly had some chemistry.

Cat is a very good defender but I question his ability to lead the offense, especially wihout Warren. Going to be another new look team yet again.

cWOhLFrPAiCKs
    Participant

Painter left because I a family situation, Purvis wanted to play point but there wasn’t room, can’t remember what the story with de thaey was, and TL is likely leaving because it will be Cat’s team next year with him playing a similar role to the beginning of the season. I can’t imagine GOTT didn’t try to keep Tyler, but the kids gonna do what he thinks is best for him. Wish him the best.

packalum44
    Participant

I don’t know where to start. Gott has lost 2 of 3 McDonald All Americans in two years to TRANSFERS. His crown jewel recruiting class will be GONE in TWO YEARS after TJ goes pro.

If you don’t think this is a bad movie, then please let me in on whatever RX you are taking.

This has nothing to do with “something’s wrong with the kids” and everything to do with poor leadership and management of the program.

In three years of Gott we’ve seen 7 transfers…..DeThaey, Harrow, Tyler Harris, Raymond, Painter, Lewis and Purvis.

They all sucked though right?

cWOhLFrPAiCKs
    Participant

Honestly, most people wondered if Tyler could ever play at a high level in the ACC. While he played well down the stretch this year, I think the wear of starting at point for an entire season would have shown that he just doesn’t have the physical ability, regardless of his basketball IQ. The NCAAT is a great example: he played lights out against Xavier but had one of his worst games against St Louis. Couple that with his inability to guard opposing players and this move starts to make sense.

BJD95
    Keymaster

Some transfers will happen, and as long as we bring in good replacement transfers (BSW, Lacey) I can live with it.

I will be alarmed if this is not the only one this offseason, though. Right now the Martin twins are players 9-10 in the rotation. That’s a reasonably healthy roster situation.

Wulfpack
    Participant

We need to see where he’s going. If it is a place like a Davidson, then I sort of get it. But if it is an upper level program, then I don’t think anyone can deny that there are issues with Gott’s ability to lead.

He did a fine job this season. I hate to lose him. He does make everyone better on O.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Purvis…
    Brown…
    Tyler…
    Anthony…

All have one thing in common…
    Guess what?

From here… it seems we have “some difference” between expectations and reality when it comes to playing Point Guard in GOTT & Company’s system…

Anthony, as it stands today, is one whole season away from being a reliable floor leader every night under anybody’s system…
    GOTT to do better than this…

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    Wulfpack
    Participant

From here… it seems we have “some difference” between expectations and reality when it comes to playing Point Guard in GOTT & Company’s system…

It goes both ways. He brought them in. His job to coach them.

cWOhLFrPAiCKs
    Participant

Cat was better at the end of the season running the offense, took a lot less jump shots and looked to pass more when he drove the lane. I think we’ll see more of that next year. With the maturation of other young guys, this team will be well equipped to compete next year.

BJD95
    Keymaster

I will repeat – the absolute, essential key is for this to be ALL.

Right now, we will start:

PG – Cat
    SG – Lacey
    SF – BSW
    PF – Le Nard/KW
    C – King Hippo

Bench, in order of most minutes:

KW/Le Nard (this position is a toss-up)
    Abu
    Des
    Twin A
    Twin B

No room to lose anyone there.

redisgood
    Participant

Transfers happen in every program. Despite Lewis leaving, Gott has built a solid foundation. I don’t see why some are concerned. Two guys wanted to be the #1 point guard, and Lewis obviously was going to lose that battle. No different than Kendall Marshall and Larry Drew. So we only have 2 Macdonald All Americans in the back court next year. And Freeman, Washington, Anya, Abu, Turner, Caleb and Cody Martin, and Dez Lee. Yep, Gott sucks at this.

cWOhLFrPAiCKs
    Participant

^well said.

packalum44
    Participant

The number of transfers is a HUGE red flag. This is highly unusual. Losing Purvis and Tyler hurts tremendously. They were both starters. Losing Harris, Painter, DeThaey hurt as well. They would have contributed in significant roles had they stayed their entire careers.

Painter MAY have had legitimate reasons but in light of the 3-year exodus it is hard to refute that PART of his decision can be attributed to whatever fault Gottfried has that runs off players.

You don’t build championship programs in this way. You build bubble team programs this way.

Who’s next? We have several talented forwards why shouldn’t they leave in a year or two….anyone want to bet???

falcn828
    Participant

remember this video? The lies start at 7:00.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3_UZtb0EUc

BJD95
    Keymaster

I advise the middle ground. No need to panic (yet) but to say it’s not an issue at all isn’t correct.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 101 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.