Tuesday's Moral Dilemma….

Home Forums StateFans Non Sports Talk Tuesday's Moral Dilemma….

Tagged: 

Viewing 21 posts - 76 through 96 (of 96 total)
  • Author
    choppack1
    Participant

Bill – I believe you are right. Sadly. We would like to keep those good things about small town life wouldn’t we.

The best thing about small town life is that folks know each other and can form a cocoon- like existence when it comes to safety and ironically, even acceptance.

Adventuroo
    Participant

McCallum,

I get my central NC cities mixed up. A friend told me about the place in Siler City. It was NOT Asheboro. I apologize. The restaurant was Johnson’s drive in. My buddy raved about the Hot Dogs and that it was like Seinfeld’s Soup Nazi. If you got there LATE, there were NO HD’s as he only purchased a certain quantity and when they were gone….they were gone. NOW, reading the reviews, that might also (or perhaps was a misstatement by my late buddy) have pertained to hamburgers as the articles say he only purchases meat that gets HIS stamp of approval and that quantity varies. SO, you correct, it WAS Johnson’s.

Adventuroo
    Participant

Freshmania83,

Ah YES….Booney’s Hot Dog Stand. After some research, the late proprietor (and founder) was George Boone. He and I were classmates. He graduated in May, 1968 with a BS in Engineering Operations – Production Tech Option.

If you read the thread about “Charlotte”, there is a story that I recounted there about me and a buddy deciding to go downtown in 1968 to see what all the commotion and fires were about…..the night that Dr. King was assassinated. We were in my Corvair and the Cops chased us out of the combat zone where they and the FD were hunkered down and could not fight the warehouse fire because of sniper fire. TRUE, FACTUAL NOT EMBELLISHED.

George Boone was my co-pilot on that trip. He also worked at one of the campus grills while at NCSU and enjoyed doing short order cooking and was well known to many of his professors. After the economy tanked and Burlington left Rocky Mount, he went back to his roots. Unfortunately, I had to piece a lot of this together from his obituary as he passed away in 2015. Knowing him for many years, the atmosphere and demeanor of the reviews certainly reflect his quirky and eclectic personality…

RIP

McCallum
    Participant

^yep …
    I traveled on business from Baltimore to Miami to New Orleans and lots of small towns in between for years…
    grew up the former The Sock Capital of the World and spent five formative years after school in the City That Was Too Busy To Hate… with two years in between down in sunny FLA…

The South ain’t what it used to be…
    and then that could be perceived as another moral dilemma… both ways…

Every State in the South is really two States….
    the one you hear and read about when you’re out of State, in North Carolina’s case that’s 10 counties…
    and the rest of the State… I call that “The Other North Carolina”…

there’s no moral dilemma there for me… the Other North Carolina has been abused, ignored and forgotten by our Moral Leaders…

Do you really think George, given the opportunity, would send big bucks to Burgaw, Roxboro, Morganton or Plymouth?

I’m thinking the same for the rest of the States…
    they are as bipolar as political candidates for high offices…

1) The South is still the South. It stands as the last vestige of traditional western civilization in that its ties are to the faith, kin and land.

Knot headed supporters of equity have no concept of community. Theirs is a construct which is a by product of the 14th amendment and since they have no loyalty to blood they have tossed aside any birth right passed down to them.

2) There are cultures within states. One must exempt cities and cul de sacs since they generally lack culture and have been thrown together by market forces unless those cities/cul de sacs are ethnic in nature.

Throwing out the cities once again, there are around 15 different dialects native to North Carolina. Walt Wolfram at State has done a nice job of noting the differences.

3)The other North Carolina has been forgotten. False notions on trade doomed many of those places and people.

4) Yes, Soros money has a far reach.

A local police department down here threw a flash grenade into a home burning a child. The child was a minority (Loatian), the local whites were not happy but they became very unhappy when someone bused in protestors to the county seat from Atlanta.

Soros money at work. If it can reach here it will get to Plymouth or Swan Quarter.

McCallum

McCallum
    Participant

Manufacturing gig?

All of these towns declaring their “historic” district were built by people too busy working to worry about selling stupid antiques.

They also knew which can to crap in.

What a nation of wimps.

McCallum

pakfanistan
    Participant

Freakin’ LOL.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

It [The South] stands as the last vestige of traditional western civilization in that its ties are to the faith, kin and land.

Damn interesting observation, sir…
    I’m gonna have to cogitate on that … the key word being “last”….

supporters of equity have no concept of community. Theirs is a construct which is a by product of the 14th amendment and since they have no loyalty to blood they have tossed aside any birth right passed down to them.

see above…
    but there’s no doubt here about that….

There are cultures within states.

good news… as I don’t travel around nearly as much as I used to or would like to…. we need to remember how to enjoy and celebrate diversity, not live in fear of it….

Manufacturing gig?

no …. consulting from the ground floor up ….
    all I have ever done in business tried as best I good to deliver dreams for people… big and small…

All of these towns declaring their “historic” district were built by people too busy working to worry about selling stupid antiques.

there’s a longer story here, I won’t tell here… but not only is this first hand true, but actually funny…

They also knew which can to crap in.

yes… see #1 & 2 above….

The best thing about small town life is that folks know each other

this has something to do with #2 above… and…

This, imo, is the biggest damn problem of all… if people actually tried to get to know each other today, they’d find out they have a whole more in common and with the solid understanding that when the argument ends, they still gott to live on the same street, things would be different… and better…

based on TRUST…

But…

Good night, gents!

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    Wufpacker
    Participant

freshmanin83
    Participant

The South is still the South. It stands as the last vestige of traditional western civilization in that its ties are to the faith, kin and land.

If this is the measure then there are many places in the western states that this holds true.

When I was growing up there were so many small and family farms that seems for the most part to have passed. It looks to me more and more that people are moving out of small towns to suburbs and cities. Will small towns and communities go the way of the small farm or will they serve as bed and breakfast for the commuters. Are most young people staying or leaving. Are small towns turning into retirement communities?

Greywolf
    Participant

He graduated in May, 1968 with a BS in Engineering Operations

Engineering Operations: referred to in my day as Easy Out.

McCallum
    Participant

The South is still the South. It stands as the last vestige of traditional western civilization in that its ties are to the faith, kin and land.

If this is the measure then there are many places in the western states that this holds true.

When I was growing up there were so many small and family farms that seems for the most part to have passed. It looks to me more and more that people are moving out of small towns to suburbs and cities. Will small towns and communities go the way of the small farm or will they serve as bed and breakfast for the commuters. Are most young people staying or leaving. Are small towns turning into retirement communities?

Agree with your point. The agrarian model is much less materialistic than the capitalist/consumerist model.

The “brain drain” has always been in play. The issue since the early 90s has been the reduction in manufacturing jobs which allowed small towns to continue and thrive. The capitalist model demands low cost, that means the hypocrisy of outsourcing of jobs to reduce wages and reduce cost, specifically to China.

The capitalist model has thrived only in that it used the low cost impact of China, while China denies the basic fundamentals which are prerequisite for the formation of the capitalist model.

McCallum

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

The brain drain is a myth… mostly perpetrated by local governments to get citizens to fund programs (govt jobs) which had no impact on the brain drain..

Back in the day… Every doctor, lawyer, dentist, most businessmen wanted their sons and daughters to leave town or the farm and not look back.. to fly and try to find their dreams.. govt wasn’t ever going to change that…

Now… what was really happening was this…

Central Carolina Bank, CP&L, the Mills rotated young people thru the small towns in their management training programs…. the local PTBs used these guys to front new ideas… while maintaining some political distance… that system worked to the benefit of all involved…

If you ever went to a United Way or Chamber of Commerce meeting… you remember what I’m saying…

Those doctors, lawyers and such would have felt like bad parents if they kids had not left home…

The doctors, dentists and such could count on kids just like their coming in into the small towns with their jobs and cheap houses….

Fact was… 3 out of 5 of those guys were NC State men and women…

which unfortunately brings up the OTHER SORE SUBJECT….

Simultaneous with the exodus of manufacturing, local banking and such…. our Land Grant University disregarded it’s charter and went to other directions too… leaving the Other North Carolina to die the death of atrophy or to be consumed in whole by Metro NC…

The small towns still have cheap houses, but they have no jobs and no NC State men and women passing thru…

The problem in small towns is the JOB and LOW WAGE Drain….

sad but true….
    no turning back…

but then what could they have done different???

idk…

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    TheCOWDOG

Well Bill, they coulda won the war, for one thing.

john of sparta
    Participant

“what makes me look good this month?”

in my opinion, this is the situation.
    of course, the question from my supervisor
    was phrased: “what makes US look good this month.”
    the metro short-term conflicts with the small town long-term.

saigonwolf
    Participant

Back to dogs and burgers, anybody here remember Oliver’s in Southport?

44rules
    Participant

A local police department down here threw a flash grenade into a home burning a child. The child was a minority (Loatian), the local whites were not happy but they became very unhappy when someone bused in protestors to the county seat from Atlanta.

[/quote]

If they don’t want protesters, maybe their bumpkin anti-drug task force (and I used to cover them for local newspapers, so I know of what I speak – same task force was involved in mistakenly gunning down an innocent pastor a few years earlier) could do a little basic investigation before going all D-Day. Everybody involved in that should have been hung out to dry.

Johnson’s in Siler City has great burgers but don’t know about their dogs. The Varsity in Atlanta, frankly, sucks – both burgers and hot dogs. All that grease should give you some good taste. They’ve got the grease part down, but that’s about it.

Communism is not love. Communism is a hammer which we use to crush the enemy. Mao Zedong

pakfanistan
    Participant

….their bumpkin anti-drug task force…..

I’m still pissed at Duplin County for raiding Willie Nelson.

44rules
    Participant

As well you should be, Pakfanistan!

Communism is not love. Communism is a hammer which we use to crush the enemy. Mao Zedong

Fastback68
    Participant

Ted’s Hotdog Stand

^Wuf, lollers at the flying dogs

TheCOWDOG

Yes! Ted’s! A Buffalo original. That’s what I’m talkin’ ’bout.

Fastback68
    Participant

Charlie the Butcher, Johnny’s wings, Fowlers sponge candy, Anchor Bar. Great, now I’m starving.

Viewing 21 posts - 76 through 96 (of 96 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.