Todd Gurley situation

Home Forums StateFans Football Todd Gurley situation

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    NCSU88
    Participant

Have not seen this discussed here this week. Unfortunate developments this week with Georgia’s Todd Gurley. Tarboro native and Heisman Trophy hopeful allegedly was paid for autographs. Suspended for this week’s game at Missouri while investigation progresses. Gurley was on track to be a small town kid to the big time stage story as he has a tremendous following and a great reputation for being a leader and just plain nice guy. Lots of comparisons being made to Johnny Manziel’s case and FSU’s Jameis Winston. I am sure ESPN will cover this today during the pre-game talking head shows.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Not certain there is much to discuss. Sounds like he broke the rules. The GMs are salivating – no risk of injury.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Well.. if Mr. Gurley ( who’s from Ta’bura if you didn’t know )… hadda stayed home and played football for us… He wouldn’t be having all this trouble…

But.. you can’t find fault with a man whose trying to better himself…
    either in North Carolina or down in Georgia…

We all agree the NCnowAAy is whacked….

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    Wufpacker
    Participant

We all agree the NCnowAAy is whacked….

Yep. But that doesn’t take away from young Mr. Gurley’s culpability. Screwed his teammates right over. Nice.

Wolfanatic
    Participant

I’m not so sure that Gurley really cares. Why would he? He’ll be a first round pick next year, and he will be in good health. The NFL doesn’t care about his taking money for autographs. Think Clowney. Only 3 sacks in his last season at USC along with some questionable injuries after 13 sacks the year before. Just show’em the money.

ncsu1987
    Participant

I’m not so sure that Gurley really cares. Why would he?

Do people really think this is ok? Sure, if he is suspended for the rest of the season, it clears the path to his pro career, and yes, it certainly minimizes the chance of injury. But it’s not ok. By returning for this season, he made a commitment to his teammates, the coaching staff and the fans. The fans I’ll waive, and the staff, well they’re adults and professionals. But IMHO he betrayed his teammates, and that just sucks. What the hell has happened to personal accountability, keeping your word? If his pro career trumps everything, why not go pro at the end of last year?

Gowolves
    Participant

NCSU87, Well for one reason he didn’t go pro last was because NFL rules doesn’t allow him to enter the draft until after his third year. I don’t think it’s ok that he screwed his teammates by being selfish. I am tired of hearing about the plight of college student athlete. Oooooh you have it so bad. (sarcasm) Makes me sick. He knew it was wrong and yet he did it anyway. The good news is that some other players contacted by this snake of business man said no. So all is not lost in this “me” generation!

redisgood
    Participant

I heard this morning the university paid $75K of insurance premiums on Gurley’s behalf. $2.5M if an injury caused him to slip in the draft, and $5M if he couldn’t play again. I guess they couldn’t insure against stupid.

YogiNC
    Participant

You can’t fix stupid!

Smarter than the average bear

ncsu1987
    Participant

^Apparently that’s true of posters sometimes, too.

Thanks to GoWolves for pointing out my own stupidity…doh

Wolfanatic
    Participant

NCSU1987, by no means was I implying that it was okay, or even admissible on Gurley’s part. This is the nature of college football. They don’t give you a million dollars if you win the Heisman, and he may or may not have won it. But,a healthy Gurley will get much more than that come draft time. Might as well let them be one and done just like basketball. It’s all about the money to many of these kids, who have heard the rap. Todd knew the consequences of his actions if he was caught, but he chose to take the money and the chance. Now he “suffers” the “consequences,” as devastating as they are. (sarc off) Gurley probably can’t spell “betray.”

Adventuroo
    Participant

Google Jameis Winston. The firm that “authenticated” Mr. Gurley’s signatures assigned 500 sequential serial numbers to his “autographs”. That means that they were done in a “signing” session. NOW, Mr. Winston has over 940 Sig’s with the same FIRM. approximately 450 of them are recent and they are sequential. Jameis told JimBo….not me boss….I did NOT get any $$, but I got writer’s cramp”.

The ACC and the NCAA is supposedly NOT investigating, but the “compliance” off of FSU is…

We shall see what we shall see. The fact that Gurley was suspended speaks volumes….

Winston seems to be in his usual….”Not ME….I didn’t DO A THING….Nobody SAW ME….and YOU CAN’T PROVE anything” mode.

Certainly would be fascinating if he did this PRIOR to the season or maybe the EARLIER Winston Authenticated stuff was done PRIOR to the Championship game last year. Poor JimBo would have to give back his bonuses…

Winston reminds me of Valvano’s lad named Washburn….but Washburn was a Boy Scout compared to Jameis…

NO GOOD will come from this….or I hope so….

Wufpacker
    Participant

Winston reminds me of Valvano’s lad named Washburn….but Washburn was a Boy Scout compared to Jameis…

Ummmm no…no, he wasn’t.
    And unless the autograph whore, I mean “authenticator”….wants to cause Winston and/or FSU any inconvenience, which he likely doesn’t, don’t hold your breath that this becomes anything.

Adventuroo
    Participant

Wufpacker,

Don’t know if you were alive during the Chris Washburn episodes at NCSU. Washburn was not the world’s most gifted BB player, but he was Valvano’s hope of repeating an NCAA championship run. Whether he stole the stereo or not is up for grabs….but the publicity was worse. Then it sort of all fell apart.

There was NEVER a player at NCSU (BB or FB) that has the rap sheet that Winston has. So, I stand by my statement…

As to the Autograph Whore. If you read the articles on ESPN and other sites, the “authenticator” is more of an “enabler”. What is really “crab leggy” about this is that Gurley was suspended by an SEC team…..God FORBID….the SEC that is the really BAD BOY of the Bad Conferences.

And then, when you dig into the details, it seems that Winston has almost TWICE the number of autographs with the “Enabler”.

Winston is probably really innocent….or so he told JimBo…but if UGA thinks that he is tainted and might jeopardize future wins…..that speaks volumes. I have no inside info on how these little “autograph sessions” come about….but look at the math. Maybe Winston thought that the 450 signatures were for FB, Jerseys, Jock Straps, Posters, whatever and that they were going to be sold at an auction to benefit Victims of Sexual Violence and Exploitation….

Who knows….but the fact that FSU started the investigation is a little out of character for FSU.

We shall see…..what we shall see….

Wufpacker
    Participant

Stand by your statement all you like. I was on campus the whole time Washburn was. Our paths crossed. He was no boy scout compared to Winston regardless of what his rap sheet does (or does not) say.

The autograph whore had an axe to grind with Gurley for signing items for his competition. Maybe he does with Winston as well, time will tell. But if he did, I suspect Winston would have been at the top of his list for payback, not Gurley.

In other words, short of a paper trail outlining payments (highly unlikely that one exists) and/or an authenticator saying “I paid Jameis”, it’s not likely to amount to anything.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Ya’ll GOTT nothing to worry about…..

Told ya’ll months ago… everybody at Bill’s Bookstore down on Copeland Street says…
    Sir Winston will NOT be playing in Garnet and Gold next season…”

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    john of sparta
    Participant

as above, Clowney defined the current template.
    Gurley and Winston don’t have to worry.
    they’ll be healthy and get paid.

ncsu1987
    Participant

Wufpacker said:

I was on campus the whole time Washburn was. Our paths crossed. He was no boy scout compared to Winston regardless of what his rap sheet does (or does not) say.

Second this. Washburn had more raw, untapped talent than any basketball player I’ve ever seen, and did less with it than I ever imagined. His leaving was the best thing that happened to NC State basketball during that time. No telling what would have happened had he stayed.

For that reason, I absolutely believe the rumors that JW will NOT be at FSU next year.

Gowolves
    Participant

I think JW will be kicked off or drop out before the end of the season.

MrPlywood
    Participant

More JW autographs surface, over 2,000 “authenticated”. Evidently he’s a prolific writer, which bodes well for his schoolwork.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11711799/signed-jameis-winston-items-top-2000-website

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.