New coach is winner at every level he's coached.

Home Forums StateFans Basketball New coach is winner at every level he's coached.

Tagged: 

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    VaWolf82
    Keymaster

Great coach but still a major risk at that price tag.

I agree but the recruiting rankings don’t really prove anything because you’re talking about Wichita St…..WICHITA STATE – Land of the Scary Wheat.

All we really know about Marshall (or any other mid/low major coach) is the relative scale you can get by their performance within his conference and that conference’s overall ranking. (Gonzaga being an obvious exception based on their OOC schedule and performance over multiple years.)

MVC (Wichita St) – 12th in conference RPI
    A-10 (Dayton) – 8
    Colonial (UNC-W) – 11

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/bracketology/conference

I would love to hear Marshall’s press conferences if he was State’s coach…but not enough to pony up what it would take to get him.

Rick
    Keymaster

You mean the ones he lost? There are reasons to believe he will succeed, this is hardly one of them. His team gave up 70 points to UVA.

Citing his 2 games vs ACC opponents wasn’t to show he would succeed, but the closeness of the games indicates he can coach on a big stage. He lost by less than 10 points with a bunch of guys from the whatever conference it was. Being able to take those guys and compete in the against ACC teams indicates to me he can coach in the ACC. It seems to indicate to you he can’t. Oh well, lets see what else you got.

His team didn’t “give up 70 points” to UVA, Rick, he forced UVA to play HIS game. Did you miss where UVA gave up more points to lowly UNC-W than the average ACC team scored? I guess it depends on what you want to prove with the available data what you see.

It’s great that you see this as some feather in his cap but the only thing it actually proves is he can lose to them playing his “style of basketball” as you put it.

Red Baron
    Participant

What the UVA game proved was that defense is not his forte. We hired Gott-Two. UVA was able to go to the basket at will for uncontested layups. There was no help defense. Even the ESPN talking heads mentioned it.

Greywolf
    Participant

What the UVA game proved was that defense is not his forte. We hired Gott-Two. UVA was able to go to the basket at will for uncontested layups. There was no help defense. Even the ESPN talking heads mentioned it.

Your claim doesn’t pass the smell test. “UVA was able to go to the basket at will for uncontested layups.” Yet UVA only won by 7. Perhaps the Triumvirate of you, Rick and the EweNC ESPN talking heads have an explanation for this anomaly?

Perhaps ole dummy Keatts knows something about coaching that 2 board monkeys and the talking heads don’t know.

choppack1
    Participant

Pakfanistan – I think that’s a fair question….There are zero “sure thing” P5 coaches that are obtainable out there.

The closest sure things were Marshall and Arch and who knows their level of interest.

pakfanistan
    Participant

UVA scored 71 on the notorious turd defense of Louisville (who only scored 55). Confirmed, Rick Pitino can’t compete in the ACC.

TheCOWDOG

Interesting that UVa gets the measure.
    UNCW out rebounded the Cavs by seven.
    Bryce went 2-11 from the field, Perrantes and Shayok combine for 47, and Wilmington loses by 5.

Shayok is so impressed…that he announced he is transferring.

Red Baron
    Participant

Easy explanation Grey. UVA played their game. They ran the clock down limiting the number of possessions. Once the clock ran down they drove to the basket for layups, or when the D loosened up to prevent that, Perrantes stepped back and buried 3s. UVA scored right where they always do in the 70s. They only had one game where they scored more than 80 points and that was early season against Grambling State. UVA’s D did what they’ve been doing all year but UNCW was a very good offensive team. True, UNCW got a few steals in the mid-court area by pressuring but once UVA got into a half-court offense UNCW could do nothing to stop them. UNCWs defense allowed W&M to score 98 on them. Nothing would please me more than the D at State becoming a major part of our game instead of an after thought. Perhaps Keatts can do that. We bet the farm on it didn’t we.

StateRed44
    Participant

Don’t understand this criticism. Gott did some good things here, it just fell apart due to personality issues. If he is an improved version of Gott and can actually get his players to by in wholeheartedly, it’s gonna be pretty damn good. I’m hoping he can improve on Gott’s high water marks without the collapse. I think we’d all be ecstatic.

saigonwolf
    Participant

I agree with StateRed44 – If Keatts can consistently bake us cakes that are as good or better than Gott’s best, and not burn any of them as Gott did a lot these past 2 seasons, I think all of us – even the naysayers here, will be happy with him. Stop worrying about $hit we can’t control and just expect him to give us the damn cake!

rthomas44
    Participant

How about “K squared” ? Just saying.

Rick
    Keymaster

Perhaps ole dummy Keatts knows something about coaching that 2 board monkeys and the talking heads don’t know.

Straw man much?

Your claim doesn’t pass the smell test. “UVA was able to go to the basket at will for uncontested layups.” Yet UVA only won by 7

Again, they lost the game and UVA scored more than their average. So it doesn’t prove he can (or cannot) coach at this level. This is simply a bad argument.

ryebread
    Participant

I was impressed by what UNCW did the last two years in the tournament. They pushed ACC teams that were deeper, taller and more talented to the brink before eventually running out of gas. There’s a huge delta between 4-5 2 star kids and maybe 1-2 3 star kids vs UVA’s roster where they’ve been recruiting in the top 25 for about the last 5 years.

Having said that being the big underdog also allows one to highly motivate and provides the other team with some challenges in motivation. We see this every season both in singular games early and then in tournament upsets (Mercer anyone?).

I don’t judge Keatts as much by those games as I do by the entire body of work that I saw. In the half dozen games I watched over the last two seasons, his teams looked consistently better than Wade’s VCU teams. I think it is clear that once Archie said no, these two were the front runners (though we could have gone lower).

JohnGalt78
    Participant

K2, also known as Mount Godwin-Austen or Chhogori, is the second highest mountain in the world, after Mount Everest, at 8,611 metres above sea level. Second in the world ain’t bad.

44rules
    Participant

And for a while there some claimed that K2 was the highest peak. Think that was in the 1980s before more accurate satellite measurements.

Communism is not love. Communism is a hammer which we use to crush the enemy. Mao Zedong

Adventuroo
    Participant

Time for a chorus of “Climb Every Mountain…”. Don’t bother to cue up Peggy Woods as she could not hit the highs and they did a lip sync.

I offered K2 or K Squared a while back. As long as the finger don’t get fat and call him Killer Kevin Keatts, I think we are OK.

It will be interesting to talk to him at the Wake County Coaches Caravan. I suspect the lines will be long and the BS deep.

What’s the bet that GreGG stays at Corn Forker U? Alford at UCLA? Don’t bet the 401K plus mortgage the house on that one….

Archie? I think that the comic book collectors are doing better at selling that one than the lad is. Maybe he IS happy there. Herb’s “gently glided out of West Raleigh on the proverbial Rail” traumatized Archie (and Sean) at a critical moment in their coaching (or starting to coach) endeavors. They may have to have counseling to recover.

Let’s see how the brass ring grabbing goes and who loses grip of the pole on their trusty steed….

K2 needs some “schtick” to identify with. Kiffin’s Steed. ORW’s Huckleberry Hound imitation (courtesy of the KU fans). Larry Manning’s HD….we need something to set K2 apart from the masses….

Notice that Mr. Josh Pastner (looks younger than We Willie Wade) is holding his own in the NIT….now in the Final Four. Not too shabby. That kid has a future…

Greywolf
    Participant

This is simply a bad argument.

I thought the same thing when you joined in and made it an argument. 😉

WallyB
    Participant

I like “Coach 2K”.

Rick
    Keymaster

This is simply a bad argument.

I thought the same thing when you joined in and made it an argument.

You started this thread as an obvious attempt to antagonize people you disagree with so don’t get upset when it generates discussion.

Greywolf
    Participant

so don’t get upset when it generates discussion.

Upset? I agreed with you that your argument was bad. You seem to be the one upset.

Have a coke and a smile. Rick. Like the thread title says, we got ourselves a coach who was a winner at every level he coached.

Easy explanation Grey. UVA played their game. They ran the clock down limiting the number of possessions. Once the clock ran down they drove to the basket for layups, or when the D loosened up to prevent that, Perrantes stepped back and buried 3s.

Red Baron,
    Hard for me to follow the logic that UVA played their game when they beat a much lower seeded team by a mere 5 points. It would seem to me to be just the opposite. UNC-W played THEIR game and lost to a heavily favored team by 5 points. I believe the scribes are saying “almost beat.”

Not to belabor the point but Bennett with more skilled players nearly lost to Keatts with less skilled players. Defense alone will not take you deep in the tournament IMO. Keatts didn’t show you much apparently but the fact is he devised a game plan that worked pretty well. Can he do as well consistently? I guess we all want to see, eh?

Rick
    Keymaster

Upset? I agreed with you that your argument was bad

LOL You are literally using “Uh uh” as a debate tactic.

ChemE79a
    Participant

We seem to be spending an awful lot of time analyzing the 3 years at UNCW. Is there no data on his 10 years at Hargrave? He was basically coaching a very young college team there and playing other young college teams. At that level he was awarded 2 mythical national championships. What were his defenses like there?

RTPMedic
    Participant

I’m not a safe hire either.

I’d have taken the job for 400 k, thrown pig pickings all over the state, burned K and huckleberry in effigy, and moved the team back to Reynolds.

Might not have won much but it would have been fun and not safe. We would play defense until the blood flowed, I can promise you that.

McCallum

My new ‘favorite post’.

ancsu87
    Participant

UVA scored 71 on the notorious turd defense of Louisville (who only scored 55). Confirmed, Rick Pitino can’t compete in the ACC.

LMAO at the subtle use of prior logic expressed

packplantpath
    Participant

Somebody find me a recently hired coach who went to a higher tier who was a loser at the previous level. I’ll wait.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 51 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.