TIME TO SEE RED AND HATE BLUE

Home Forums StateFans Football TIME TO SEE RED AND HATE BLUE

Viewing 14 posts - 251 through 264 (of 264 total)
  • Author
    ryebread
    Participant

I didn’t see much of the game, but am very happy with the outcome. I’m happy for Hines that he bounced back and had a great day against UNC. That’s something he’ll remember forever (as should the OL that opened the holes).

We finished at 8-4, which is exactly what I thought before the year. We lost to S.Carolina and WF, which I didn’t expect, but beat FSU and Louisville. Overall, that’s a solid season.

DD should get his automatic 1 year extension but nothing more. I hope he’s back next year, but he may put his hat in the ring for other jobs. If he does and gets hired, then so be it.

Greywolf
    Participant

Grey I know we dont agree, but I do love your glass half full mentality.

Thanks.

To be honest about it, I don’t really mind glass half empty mentalities. Insisting on half-empty mentality as the only valid vision of the future, I do mind.

I prefer the half-full mentality as it seems to to be the more positive point of view.

ryebread
    Participant

Grey: I’m with you on half-full. It’s the best way to live because the only thing that we control is our attitude.

What I do mind in is the eternal sunshiner who can’t recognize that there are problems. The first way to fixing an issue is to recognize it. šŸ˜‰

Football ended up this year pretty much where I thought it would. That’s not a bad thing. Rome wasn’t built in a day. If DD hits the eject button, he’s left us in a better place than he found us and I think it will be much easier for us to hire the person to take the next step. Both are valid options.

choppack1
    Participant

Rye – did you see us going 6-2 in the conference? I think if you gave me 6-2 before the season started, I would have taken it.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

We finished at 8-4, which is exactly what I thought before the year. We lost to S.Carolina and WF, which I didnā€™t expect, but beat FSU and Louisville.

8-4 was my best-case scenario. That would have dropped to 6-6 if you had told me that State would lose to both SC and WF.

I think if you gave me 6-2 before the season started, I would have taken it.

Absolutely!

tractor57
    Participant

I think a good year – could have been awsome with a couple more wins. To me the real question is what happens next season – if a program building model the Pack moves forward a bit, if not back to the mean.

Daniel_Simpson_Day
    Participant

ā€˜did you see us going 6-2 in the conferenceā€™ ā€“ I know that wasnā€™t directed at me, but Iā€™m going to reply anyway. I expected us to go 6-6; 4-4. The wins over FSU and Louisville were unexpected. The FSU win isnā€™t as spectacular when looking at the season in hindsight. The Louisville win is a quality win. It was a really solid season with plenty of WTF moments, but no WTF losses. Thatā€™s progress in my book. Question is will this be our ceiling or our median. Iā€™m ok being patient to see what the next 2-3 years reveals.

MrPlywood
    Participant

The trick is to separate the “what is” from the “what if”. 8-4 and 6-2 is a good record no matter how you slice it, the best conference record for State in decades. Of course in hindsight it’s easy to look at the two very winnable games – SC and WF – and what if your way to 10-2, 7-1. Hopefully this season will be something to build on and not a high point. What if?

ryebread
    Participant

I said 8-4 (5-3). S. Carolina was a bad loss. Wake at Wake was always a toss up game, but I thought it’d break our way.

Tau837
    Participant

IMO a lot of our fans are underrating this season’s performance. By multiple rankings, we played a top 20 schedule: #10, #13, #19. To go 8-4 against that schedule, and being in every game but one until the end is impressive… especially for NC State, considering the past 15 years of on field results.

This was DD’s first team where the entire roster was his. It seems that recruiting is on an upward trend. Those things make it seem unlikely we will see a significant regression going forward.

On offense, we definitely lose 3 starters: Adams, Samuels, and Cook. Those players will be missed, but, if Finley returns, we should have a great offense. If he goes pro, I will be less optimistic.

Defense will definitely be more of a challenge, but it seems unlikely that our LBs and defensive backfield will be significantly worse than this year, and they could actually be better. DL will not be as good, but, barring unexpected underclassmen departures, I expect it will still be solid. A possible improvement over Hux could also help to offset the player loss.

And hopefully any regression in defense will be at least partly offset by improved special teams (read: placekicking).

I don’t expect 8-4/6-2 next season, but I don’t expect much worse than that.

Pack1997
    Participant

Looking at our schedules for next year, 7 to 8 games next year will be 50/50 games at best. Losing Samuels will hurt far more than we realize. This isn’t me knocking DD for the record, but we all see us taking at least one step back next year, and thats with Finley at QB. I just dont’ see how anyone could have expectations in the 8-4 realm. A good year would be 7-5 and that’s probably our cieling next year.

tractor57
    Participant

I would not have an issue with 7-5. Hoping for more of cou8rse but back to back seasons that are well above the mean for the Pack would mean a lot.

Greywolf
    Participant

I said 8-4 (5-3). S. Carolina was a bad loss. Wake at Wake was always a toss up game, but I thought itā€™d break our way.

If losing to an 8-4 (5-3) SEC team is a “bad loss,” we have a new status for NC State football. That’s my ‘half-glassed’ point of view. šŸ˜‰

ryebread
    Participant

If losing to an 8-4 (5-3) SEC team is a ā€œbad loss,ā€ we have a new status for NC State football. Thatā€™s my ā€˜half-glassedā€™ point of view.

A game that we go 2x the yardage, 2x the first downs, a huge time of possession advantage, etc., yet still lose is a bad loss. A game where we get clearly out coached by Will Muschamp is a bad loss. A game where we win every facet, but spot the other team 10 points on Special teams is a bad loss. Shrugs.

I don’t think S. Carolina is all that good, and I will go out on a limb and say that outside of Alabama, Georgia and Auburn, the mighty SEC isn’t that good this year. Clemson beat Auburn. Georgia’s best wins were GT and against a 3 loss ND team. Now, would NC State beat Auburn, Georgia or Alabama? Nope.

Viewing 14 posts - 251 through 264 (of 264 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.