This paper got an A- at UNC-CH

Home Forums All StateFansNation This paper got an A- at UNC-CH

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    StateFans
    Keymaster

The national media attention on the cheating at UNC-Chapel Hill continues to grow. The more attention on the insanity from the Chapel Hill zoo then the more people will continue to explore the real reasons why the NCAA has been so silent on a 20+ year systemic academic fraud designed to keep athletes eligible.

Today, we’ve got The Sporting News making some comments. Link

The academic scandal at the University of North Carolina is long and convoluted.

It is hard to know where it started and where it ends.

What we do know is that UNC basketball and football players were guided toward classes, specifically in the African-American (AFAM) studies department, that never met and required very few assignments. Enrollment in these classes was open for a brief period of time, to ensure that only specific athletes registered for the courses.

Mary Willingham is a former UNC employee who did extensive research into the studies of student-athletes and determined that nearly 60 percent were reading at a fourth-to-eighth grade level between 2004 and 2012.

In January, the university stopped funding her research, which sparked yet another firestorm of debate.

The many layers of this controversy may never be truly understood, but ESPN recently released a video dissecting the academic scandal. Bryan Graham, a writer for Sports Illustrated and The Atlantic magazine, took a screen grab of one scene from the video which appears to show a final paper for the AFAM 41 course. The paper is about Rosa Parks and according to the video and the screen grab, it received an A-.

Considering what we already know, it should not come as a great shock.

But to see and read such a paper and know that it got an A- at a university like North Carolina is rather startling.

wilmwolf80
    Participant

I’ll copy and past what I wrote about this earlier:

If I were a current or former student of that school, this would make me consider litigation. Consider that the official stance from the school is that since regular students were enrolled in some of these classes, it is not an athletic issue. So if we are to believe that, then there is a very real possibility that the elementary level paragraph in the above link could have been written by a regular student, admitted through the normal process and meeting the normal requirements. The implication for those with degrees is pretty explosive. I wouldn’t want my future employer thinking that you can get a degree from my university with elementary school level reading and writing skills.

Pack84
    Participant

I’m fairly certain that if I had turned in the paper above during my time at NC State I would have gotten NO grade. I strongly suspect it would have been returned to me with a “COME SEE ME” note across the top.

As much as I love to make fun of the holes that is downright embarrassing.

highstick
    Participant

I am absolutely appalled at the guys on Pack Pride. I was “on the road” most of yesterday after I’d seen this. Last night I drilled down to one of their posts that had the Amazon(I think) link to the book…I looked at the “reviews on the website” for the book and didn’t even get past the 3rd or 4th review written in 2006. Looks very much like that paper was “plagiarized directly from a couple of the reviews of the book”…One of you that know how to work the “plagiarism software” should try it to verify.

I thought the PP sleuths were smarter than that…Or maybe it’s just 2 or 3 and the rest say “Yea, man”???

"Whomp 'em, Up, Side the Head"!

PackerInRussia
    Participant

Now that is some high-class comedy right there. I hung on every word just waiting for it to get worse and worse. Would that get a passing grade in 3rd grade? Can’t wait for the audio version as read by Tyler Hansbrough.

Pack78
    Participant

LOL at this from PP:

Did anyone stay up to watch last night’s post game? Charles Barkley and Kenny Smith were debating if there was a Cinderella in today’s games, and Barkley speaking to Smith said “Everyone picked Michigan State to win and they are a four seed. There are some bogus numbers out there, like your GPA.”

I rewound it twice to make sure I heard him correctly. Kenny Smith had no retort and looked visibly uncomfortable for the last few minutes they were on the air.

WolftownVA81
    Participant

^ That is hilarious. Kudos to Sir Charles. That’s what they deserve, to be a punchline to a joke and until the administration, professors and alumni get tired of it and clean up their act, that’s all they’ll ever be. It’s a simple process: 1) Conduct a real investigation, 2) Publish the results, 3) Implement reuired changes, 4) Accountability for those responsible

highstick
    Participant

Wonder if Charles will say the same to Jordan? That would be hilarious to watch!

"Whomp 'em, Up, Side the Head"!

LoCoPack
    Participant

This is in the AJC this morning. UGA Swimming coach asked a professor to give a swimmer a grade in a class he didn’t take to keep him eligible. NCAA is coming down hard! They should be pissed!
    http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/college/bauerle-accused-of-severe-breach-of-contract-in-of/nfSGb/?icmp=ajc_internallink_textlink_homepage

colapack
    Participant

I don’t know that it matters much, but a clarification was issued that the grade was for the class and not the paper on Dan Kanes twitter acct.

MXP
    Participant

I don’t know that it matters much, but a clarification was issued that the grade was for the class and not the paper on Dan Kanes twitter acct.

hahaha I love how they act like this makes it better. smh…

Pack78
    Participant
    StateFans
    Keymaster

The quarterback who supposedly wrote the essay speaks out — Link

IMHO, this is pretty damning that the athletes continue to publicly admit that they didn’t have

Note at the end that ‘everybody does it’. I’m curious why nobody at UNC ever shares with us what schools also have fake classes and have had over 500 improper grade changes?

Do you even believe that this is the same person that wrote this essay?

I thought some people on Pack Pride or some other site had figured out that this essay had been turned in by other students and wasn’t even original. Did someone tell me wrong about that?

Pack78
    Participant
    gso packbacker
    Participant

I thought this was a belated April Fool’s joke for a minute. Nope, just more statistics that will surely only obfuscate the core issue.

“I think that this is going to make us the leader,” he said. “No one has done it as well or as thoroughly as we are going to do it. So this is pretty exciting.”

Don’t sell yourself short sir, we think you’ve been “leaders” for a quite a while. 😉

ncsu1987
    Participant

^Ok, that made me laugh.

gso packbacker
    Participant

I meant to add the link to the article previously. Since it didn’t work, I will learn later what I did wrong and just paste the address on the DTH site.

http://www.dailytarheel.com/article/2014/04/unc-readies-for-contextual-grading

BJD95
    Keymaster

The Holes should try this, from our pals at Arrested Development:

Maeby Report Card

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.