This Don't Look Good

Home Forums StateFans Basketball This Don't Look Good

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 105 total)
  • Author
    Pack78
    Participant

From the article:

Dennis Smith, who would go on to play at North Carolina State in 2016-17, received $43,500 according to the documents. Another document headed “Pina,” for ASM agent Stephen Pina, says Smith received a total of $73,500 in loans, and includes notes about “options to recoup the money” when Smith did not sign with ASM.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/exclusive-federal-documents-detail-sweeping-potential-ncaa-violations-involving-high-profile-players-schools-103338484.html

WolfWiz11
    Participant

Just read that. Fawwwwk. I don’t know much about the rules–are we as a school screwed simply because he may have taken money, or do the Feds have to prove that the school knew and funneled the kids to the agents?

tractor57
    Participant

Gott the gift that keeps giving.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Yea, not good.

Rick
    Keymaster

I told you guys he was a slimy cheating piece of crap and you kept defending him. You know who you are. Another bad decision by Yow.

WolfWiz11
    Participant

Gott the gift that keeps giving.

Grrrr…

choppack1
    Participant

To be fair, Gott hasn’t been named. Hopefully, he won’t.

College basketball is rotten to the core. That core starts rotting in AAU ball, probably in middle schools where shoe money starts getting dispersed. I am thinking that the coaches – if they were smart had some buffer here that insulated them from the payments.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Does this mean we’ll have to ‘vacate’ last season ??

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    tractor57
    Participant

My issue is a lack of vetting. I see no evidence Gott was directly involved but there was the vetting.

Pack1997
    Participant

I don’t know how the NCAA is going to handle this. When you look at all the players who received benefits, every program will get hit. Remember punishment is doled out by member institutions, so there is going to be some leniency as most of the folks sitting on the committee will be standing before them as well.

In our case the worst they could do is take some schollys away. The coach is gone, the player is gone.

Mike
    Participant

No surprise at all!

Adidas is tops on the list and we are adidas. Smith was destined for the league and an agent. Bowen was also implicated and even though we did not get him, we were heavily recruiting and probably had “discussions”. Hoping we did not offer anything so he went elsewhere.

Mike
    Participant

As soon as I heard this from adidas I was 99% sure there was some fire to go with the smoke

Fastback68
    Participant

How about our administration waiting for the actual punishment prior to cutting our own legs off. There are varying degrees of criminal participation.

PackofMac
    Participant

Gofundme.com Someone may want to get that ball rolling for our legal defense.

yes…lets’ vacate our 9 wins last year!!!! C’mon uNCAA, I dare ya!!!

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

$73,500 is a little more than ‘walking around money’ for a College Freshman… ’bout $3,000 a week…
    There’s really no way to go to class, play basketball and spend that much in two semesters…

Follow the money, fellas…

Who ?

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    revdmills75
    Participant

I understand FBI does not equal NCAA. I couldn’t care less how the FBI pursues the individuals involved. However, the NCAA has no credibility to punish any institution for any of these violations when they let UNX off scott free for 20 years of fake classes.

WolfBlood86
    Participant

NCAA ain’t gonna to do sh*t. If we have to vacate our wins from last season then the Cheaters will have to vacate their wins and their coveted National Championship. Not to mention the other dozen top programs that would have to vacate their wins. However, I would vacate our wins from a crappy season if it meant the Cheaters lose a banner… I’d make that trade every day of the week!

I’d dare the NCAA to pick and choose which teams and which games will and will not be vacated.

revdmills75
    Participant

However, I would vacate our wins from a crappy season if it meant the Cheaters lose a banner… I’d make that trade every day of the week!

THIS!

burnbarn
    Participant

Wonder if the work around is DSSr was given the money and not DSJr. The doc is not clear. Sr runs an AAU team.

pakfanistan
    Participant

Does this mean we’ll have to ‘vacate’ last season ??

Fingers crossed.

Fastback68
    Participant

Per PP, the alleged transaction occurred while DS was still in high school. What if mom and dad took the money? What if dad says the money was used for the AAU program? So many questions.

ryebread
    Participant

It has NEVER looked good.
    – Hire the Gott man.
    – Gott hires Moxley. At the time Mox was viewed as “one of the best recruiting assistants in college basketball.”
    – 3 McDonalds kids sign in year 1
    – Gott starts competing with Kentucky and Calipari for recruits. How could we get ANY given what they were offering?
    – We sign Kirk to get DSJ. Kirk has late interest from Kentucky and almost flipped.
    – We sign DSJ.
    – We miss out on Bam. “Sorry NC State fans, but basketball is a business.”
    – We hire a known bag man in Pierre — “one of the 20 most feared recruiters”
    – Pierre brings Kapita. Lots of smoke there.
    – Adidas gets in hot water. We are an Adidas school.

Unfortunately, I’m afraid it might go back further than that…………

freshmanin83
    Participant

Not the kind of dreaming (nightmare) I like. I think I will wait and see the evidence before throwing our program, coaches, and administration under the bus.

ryebread
    Participant

83: The only solace a State fan can take from this is that UNC, Duke, UVA, Louisville, Miami, Kentucky, etc. are all in it as well. There’s no way that Nike doesn’t eventually get caught up in this.

freshmanin83
    Participant

Rye it very well may be that we are neck deep in stuff. I would rather it be the scenario that he took the money in high school and we are not involved.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 105 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.