THEEE Tenn. State whomping game thread

Home Forums StateFans Basketball THEEE Tenn. State whomping game thread

Viewing 25 posts - 201 through 225 (of 241 total)
  • Author
    WolfWiz11
    Participant

Why is DSJ so amped up? Itโ€™s Tenn St and you were billed as a potential lottery pick?

Because heโ€™s a kid who likes winning making a play to seal the win in front of a home crowd?

Right, but beating Tenn St at home in Dec in a nailbiter, isn’t worthy of that. That’s why if you saw Gott’s face at the end there, he looked like he just swallowed a shoe. It’s nothing to write home about and this entire team, DSJ included, has A LOT of work to do to even sniff last year’s team.

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

never thought I’d be so emotionally invested in a Tennessee State game.. McCallum was on point with “hell naw I ain’t watching that” on the first page of this thread.

MrPlywood
    Participant

Nailbiter? They won by 12 FFS.

MrPlywood
    Participant

๐Ÿ˜‰

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

Think we’ll be REAL lucky to hit five hundred in conference play.

Wufpacker
    Participant

Lookit Ply…trynna be an instigator.
    I’ve never been so proud.

McCallum
    Participant

Finished dusting the fans then headed up to Highlands to eat at Wolfgangs.

What a bunch of losers.

Ha, snort!

McCallum

choppack1
    Participant

I missed much of the end but from what I saw Dennis Smith’s D may have changed the outcome of that game. Happy for the team – hopefully this is our turning point.

And yes, the last 6 minutes of Army Navy was incredible. Happy for Army this evening… they had gone too long.

Pack78
    Participant

Missed our game due to investing the time to watch Army-Navy with some old friends whose son is a USNA grad-quietly pulled for Army to break the streak-both games went the way I hoped in the end.

wolfpackdawg
    Participant

Are u focking kidding me? OT??????

PackerInRussia
    Participant

I was actually glad it went into OT (not at the time it went into OT, but looking back at the end of the game). They seemed to do a lot better in the OT period to seal the win. Of course it would have better to not have to come to that at all, but given that it did, they responded well in the extra 5. I’m glad both Maverick and Beejay were able to rejoin the team today.
    A more convincing win would have been ideal, but I’m sure glad they didn’t fold.

BassPacker
    Participant

Pack didn’t win this game, Tenn State lost it. Without couple unforced TO by TS in regulation, this game would ended with a loss instead of OT. We Gott lucky. Just like we are lucky we are not 4-5 now. This team is bad if just compare to last year. Going 500 in ACC play would be amazing considering the play so far. So much talent on this team, so much depth. Afraid just too many pieces for Gott to bring together.

choppack1
    Participant

Bass – while that is true, thus far in his tenure that has not been Gott’s mode of operandi. In his 4 “successful” seasons, his teams have grown as the year went on and typically peak at end of the year.

This year, that growth may be even more drastic. I am not happy with how we look thus far either. Other teams manage to look like they have played together and execute the basics of the game at this point. However, our athletic leadership seems to think Gott is the guy who can have us competing for titles and a regular in the Top 25.

To me, this year is that test: when you remove the talent gap from the equation, can you coach your kids up enough to be taken seriously on a national basis…and I don’t mean advancing to the sweet 16 as an 8 seed or higher.

McCallum
    Participant

9 pages on Tennessee St?

What the hell are you going to do when Duke effortlessly wins by 29?

Dust fans, watch Hoosiers, eat fine food and read poems by Wirogers about his love for Summer Erb, that is what I’ll be doing.

McCallum

Adventuroo
    Participant

OK, Here is the Trip Report.

About HALF the crowd or maybe more were INSIDE Reynolds by 3:15 or so. The draw of seeing the NEW Reynolds worked. I saw folks just walking around and staring and reminiscing. Thurl Bailey, who was honored during the game was signing autographs. He also was the “VOICE” of the team info video. There were special videos playing during the entire hour before the game and fans were sitting in their seats just watching.

Ironically, we had excellent seats. My WPC priority was not, I thought, that good. But we were in section 212, row A with single digit seats. That lined us up with the FT line on the 2nd half State side….right across from the game. That was within 5 ft of so of where we were on that infamous Tuesday when the team came back into Reynolds and Sidney Lowe had on his big foam cowboy hat.

My daughter was with us and she was 11 years old then and STILL remembers every detail. My GK’s loved the place. Could NOT have asked for a more thrilling game. Mrs. Sloan being honored and playing her SSB was really cool. Debbie’s main assistant, Micheal Lipitz was walking around with a grin as big as Trump’s. He was the project manager. We exchanged a few words and that boy was PROUD, I mean humbly PROUD of the fans reaction. Fortunately, he updated about everything, but the accoustics. It was STILL loud. I was at the Wofford game last year when we last saw the idiot HESS and it was NOT as loud then.

As to the game. I have read a LOT of the comments and my wife, who gave up her ticket for my Daughter, watched it on TV and listened to the Pre and Post WPN coverage. It SHOULD not have been as close. It did, IMO, come down to LACK OF DEFENSE. We see-sawed with them for a long time, but generally, they seemed to have the edge.

One of our usual “Whine and $itch” song involves the Zeb’s. This time, we should send each one a case of Crown Royal Black. I thought the calls really had more homecoming flavor than any game I have seen lately. YES, Abu DID get into foul trouble. BUT, there were a LOT of blocks that I had already, mentally, scored as a Charge.

One little tidbit that perhaps was NOT on TV. During the second half, probably about mid way, a TS player blocked or made a really aggressive move on one of our guys going for the basket and our guy retaliated and made a move towards him. The whistle was blown….can’t remember if it was a foul or a blocked shot that wen out of bounds. Big ole’ Anya but an arm around each one and sort of squeezed them and said something then held them and just gave them that SMILE. This is the second time he has done that in a game. If his BB career does NOT work out, he could make bigtime money as a Bouncer….and the upscale crowd of Limo Lib’s would NOT complain about being “accosted”.

DS DID make an incredible reverse layup (you had to be there) that changed the game. It was unbelievable.

As to the total game. We could NOT get a rebound. OK, we did, but we were OUTREBOUNDED by TS. Kapita did not play much. Henderson was our scoring man. But, am I REALLY typing this?, ANYA was the man. His 38 minutes and presence on the court was unbelievable. TS was in “Shock and Awe” PTSD. They were throwing up shots that looked more like Shuttle Launches than shots. They were of the “Wizard of OZ” variety…..Somewhere OVER the rainbow…..shots. YES, a few went in, but he really altered their game.

NOW, this game in NO WAY defines a turn around. GOTT, in the post morteum DID comment about “getting into our ZONE Groove”. Why, my unbearded and thinner Coach, dressed in a nice looking Red PLAID (not even CLOSE to Sloan’s style, but a nice tribute) Blazer, did you (or your coaches) NOT go to that sooner?

We shall see how we welcome the Mountaineers next week…

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

ANYA Played HARD for 38 Minutes…

Jut let that sink in….
    Maybe there’s hope for the kid afterall….

and regardless… there’s no way I coulda said ‘he played his A## off’…

:>}

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    Wolfanatic
    Participant

Indeed, BOTB…Perhaps there is hope for King Hamburger, I mean King Hippo.. and I humbly admit to firing the first shot at his port(ly) side back on page one.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

check that Tony…

“ANYA played HARD for 38 minutes and was whistled for only TWO FOULS!!!”

McCallum
    Participant

I dwell in the past as bad as anyone. I typically lay claim to having should have died on a hill in Pennsylvania in 1863 but NOBODY lives in the damn past like State College folks.

I look like Terry Sanford, Hillary and Obama compared to all the wallowing I see in the 70s and 80s.

McCallum

choppack1
    Participant

McCallum – that’s a very fair point. It’s one thing to honor the past – and there is nothing w with it. However, when one is in the drought NC State is in – it reaks of a 30 year old wearing his school letter jacket.

If there is one thing – nd it’s about the only thing I don’t like about this new building, it’s that this kind of institutionalized it.

The building does look great…and hopefully it gives us an idea for the future when the RBC is kissed goodbye…a day I look forward to.

As for Anya, when we have actually tried to work the ball into him other games this year, good things have happened. We either don’t do that, he gets in foul trouble or he is on the bench.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

McCallum… were you an artillery guy?

Most of NC under Pettigrew died in that Pa valley….

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

we suck ๐Ÿ™

McCallum
    Participant

^
    You suck Troll for watching the crap. Just step away, it means nothing and should have no impact on your life.

Why look at me. I’m a straight white male, exercise daily, enjoy the random tobacco product, manage finances for a bunch of Methodists, own three chain saws and I’m a Sagittarius. I’ve got the world by the balls so why would I want to make myself feel bad because those a-holes in Raleigh couldn’t hire dean smith to play dead?

McCallum

StateRed44
    Participant

I enjoyed the game. Good to see Beejay play well. Looking forward to the rest of the season.

pakfanistan
    Participant

I enjoyed the game. Good to see Beejay play well. Looking forward to the rest of the season.

+1

Also, Abu and Anya have the worst hands for big men I’ve seen in a long, long time.

Viewing 25 posts - 201 through 225 (of 241 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.