The UNC Coaches Should’ve Known

Home Forums All StateFansNation The UNC Coaches Should’ve Known

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    pakfanistan
    Participant

I’m on board with it shouldn’t matter who knew. Ineligible players are ineligible.

Hungwolf
    Participant

Dear Roy Williams,
    Many college programs have someone assigned to report to the coach if a player is not going to class, so how do you explain knowing kids where not going to a class that you claim you thought was legit, but in reality didn’t exist?

wolfman1
    Participant

I guess they didn’t bother to ask Dean what he knew and when he found out about it, with his much publicized dementia/alzheimers…the investigators would have heard a lot of “I don’t remember”. “I don’t recall”. “I had no idea”…but what the heck…that is all they got from ole Roy, Butch, Guth, Matt, Baddour, and Bunting. So I guess there is a lot of dementia there at the flagship. Or plausible deniability.

wufpup76
    Keymaster

Just like any good mafia underling, Wayne Walden made sure that Roy and the Teflon Tarholes have this ‘ignorance’ defense to fall back on for their sacred cow – basketball.

We’ll see what comes of it, but like others I’ll believe something is happening when something is … happening.

packbackr04
    Participant

Debbie better tell Doeren and Gott to keep their houses in order.. Swoff will not let this go down easily. He would love for another ACC to get in trouble soon.

Texpack
    Participant

This is the part of the whole scam that absolutely cannot go unpunished. This is textbook LOIC. UNC-CH is clearly not going to self-impose. They hope to drag this out as long as possible in the hopes that memories will fade and whatever penalties they are handed are for “the actions of two rogue employees in AFAM.”

Minimum acceptable penalties. Forfeiture of all games involving athletes who participated in the fraudulent classes. Vacate all tournament appearances and bowl games. Vacate all conference and NCAA Championships where any of those athletes participated. 5 year postseason ban for MBB, 5 yr postseason ban for WBB 3 additional years for football That is the only way to be consistent with what has been done to other schools.

BJD95
    Keymaster

Let’s not do anything that looks like making light of Dean Smith’s medical condition. It’s quite genuine, which I know for a fact.

Yes, he does have major culpability for this massive fraud.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

UNC-CH is clearly not going to self-impose.

There’s absolutely no reason to self-impose anything. If the NCAA doesn’t like your self-punishment, then it will add more. If it approves of your self-flagellation, then you probably went too far (like State with Valvano).

I think that UNC made a huge mistake in withholding Prof “Roo’s pay. Their action proves that Roo’s actions did not meet UNC’s own academic requirements. Thus athletes that benefited from the paper classes should lose credit for those classes…and games played with ineligible athletes must be forfeited.

pakfanistan
    Participant

…and games played with ineligible athletes must be forfeited.

The thought of UNC losing two or more banners makes me turgid.

wolfman1
    Participant

I would never make light of coach Smith’s medical condition. I have family members that have dealt with this same sad ailment in their final years. My comment was directed at all the other people listed that play dumb and hide behind loyal stooges to effect plausible deniability.

SaccoV
    Participant

The University of Naive Complicity?

wufpup76
    Keymaster

The thought of UNC losing two or more banners makes me turgid.

^I commend your word usage with ‘turgid’.

Mike
    Participant

University of noshow Classes

Alpha Wolf
    Keymaster

^

University of No Class.

Simpler, and more to the point.

Wolfanatic
    Participant

Twenty years? Really? Sell some free shoes and tickets and it’s off to Siberia. Twenty years of cheating? If any program needed to be death-penaltyed, it is Chapel College..

highstick
    Participant

When it “walks like a duck”………………..

"Whomp 'em, Up, Side the Head"!

Alpha Wolf
    Keymaster

Swoff will not let this go down easily. He would love for another ACC to get in trouble soon.

Florida State is ready-made for exactly that, but your point about NC State is well taken.

Thing is, there have been plenty of people trying to dig up dirt on NC State since this happened. WRAL in particular has sent several public records requests to NC State trying to find something.

WRAL is Carolina through and through, no matter what they say — witness their utter lack of original journalism since the UNC story broke and their half-ass effort to link a former athlete who had already been banned from contacting NC State athletes into something illegal and against the rules. The good news is that they have failed on every try, because State runs a pretty clean ship.

Keep in mind that CBC/WRAL also give David Glenn a daily show, and despite his yammering about objectivity, the man is all but an official spokesman for UNC athletics. At every turn, he has tried to minimize what’s come out over in Chapel Hill, and despite his 997+ years of being the best and best-connected ACC journalist in the history of ever, he and his Poop Sheet staff haven’t uncovered one single thing about UNC. Given all that has happened, it’s obvious he never has because he’s never tried. Even after the Wainstein Report was released yesterday, Glenn was maintaining that this is an academic issue. Relly??!!? With a logic process like that, he’d be the last lawyer I’d hire to represent me, because quite frankly, he’s been nothing more than a toady or a fool. Take your pick.

Then they have the likes of Mike Maniscalco, who’s objectivity rivals Dave Glenn’s, despite the fact that the depth of his knowledge wouldn’t fill a half-full thimble. He shares his show with The Gambler guy, a man who is an even more rabid UNC fan than Maniscalco or Glenn. Finally, we have Joe “Drunk on The Kool-Aid” Ovies providing comic relief and maintaining the Capital Broadcasting party line of pro-UNC coverage.

Honestly, the News and Observer’s Dan Kane and Joe Giglio have been the only local journalists that have done any real work on this issue. WTVD has also done some decent work too, but nothing quite like the N&O. Capital Broadcasting and its properties have been nothing short of an embarrassment to the craft of journalism — for years they’ve been scooped on the UNC issue by Pack Pride and this site, despite having a staff of paid journalists on their payroll. Let that sink in for a moment…the best funded news gathering organization in the Triangle has had circles run around it — by amateurs with little more than a passion for the truth.

Thank God I will soon be able to stream CBS directly and have The UNC Ministry of Propaganda on Western Boulevard programmed out of my channel lineup for all time.

BJD95
    Keymaster

My bad, wolfman1. Reading comprehension fail on my part.

I’ve been told (from someone who would know) that Dean doesn’t even remember he was a basketball coach anymore. Very sad.

ncsu1987
    Participant

My bad, wolfman1. Reading comprehension fail on my part.

I’ve been told (from someone who would know) that Dean doesn’t even remember he was a basketball coach anymore. Very sad.

Nobody deserves that. Not him, not his family. Nobody.

ncsu1987
    Participant

^Hey, Alpha. Wasn’t clear to me: do you like WRAL or not…?

LOL. Preach, my friend.

“WRAL is Carolina through and through, no matter what they say”

Exactly. Self-referential Carolina Way. Say one thing, do another. Classic.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Uncle Roy’s… post game comments tonight….
    are just incoherent for the most part ..

smh

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    tractor57
    Participant

“A sad day”. Yes since the gravy train has been exposed. Personally I don’t buy “the coaches did not know”. I’m waiting for the Berlin Wall moment. On another front how is this not case for a review of academics by the appropriate authorities?

YogiNC
    Participant

The board of governors should be shutting down the UNX athletics. You can bet your sweet bottom dollar that if this were State they would have been killing us in 2011. Yet all we hear today is crickets. How about showing some spine there BOG?

Smarter than the average bear

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

BFMB and Mac both say NO…

anybody surprised ?

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/11760015/butch-davis-mack-brown-deny-knowledge-unc-academic-fraud

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    Greywolf
    Participant

Here’s an interesting history note. The holes will be blaming the whole mess on State if we let them.

in 1952, mcguire left st. john’s to become basketball coach at the university of north carolina. on paper, this was a significant step down from st. john’s, as unc was not reckoned as a national power at the time. however, school officials wanted a big-name coach to counter the rise of rival north carolina state under everett case.

with a roster largely made of players from in and around new york city, mcguire guided north carolina to an undefeated 32-0 season in 1956-57, capped off by winning the ncaa championship game 54-53 in triple overtime against the wilt chamberlain-led kansas jayhawks.

In 1961, UNC was found guilty of major NCAA violations. Combined with rumors of point shaving by some UNC players, this led Chancellor William Aycock to force McGuire’s resignation after the season. The man who replaced him was Dean Smith, his assistant coach whom he recommended for the job.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 52 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.