The Smell Of Football Is In The Air

Home Forums StateFans Football The Smell Of Football Is In The Air

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    redisgood
    Participant

And hopefully it won’t be as stinky as last year.

Some things I’m interested in seeing:

– The QB competition between Jakobi Meyers and Jalan McClendon. I don’t care who wins it, I just hope one of them emerges a clear leader. I don’t think we need our QB to be great this year, but they will need to be very good
    – How will Johnny Frasier look? By many accounts, he may have been the best RB on the team in the latter part of the year, but DD resisted the urge to burn his redshirt. I think Dayes and Gallaspy are still recovering from their injuries, so he will gets lots of work
    – Will someone break out of the WR pack. We desperately need someone the QB can go to, a la Bo Hines
    – Can someone consistently make field goals?

I noticed Johnathan Alston has moved from WR to cornerback for his senior year. Hopefully he can add some speed and depth there. It is also a good opportunity for Pharoah McKever to continue his development as a tight end. Apparently Will Richardson is under some kind of academic suspension, so he will not be participating in spring ball. There are already plenty of question marks on the offensive line, and this doesn’t help.

Anyway, I have removed last season from my memory bank, and am once again optimistic about the coming year. Go Pack!

Pack78
    Participant

Today is the deadline to re-up with the Wolfpack Club for football priority…did it today-Go Pack!

the_phisherman
    Participant

Today is the deadline to re-up with the Wolfpack Club for football priority…did it today-Go Pack!

Thank you so much for posting this. I had completely forgotten about the deadline.

redisgood
    Participant

Yeah, I did too. Thx!

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

I don’t think we need our QB to be great this year, but they will need to be very good

Not much distinction there. I don’t ever remember State having a good year without a very good to great QB. (Though there are people around here that remember teams that I never got to watch.)

With State’s QB being a complete unknown, I expect State to be picked in the bottom half of the conference by the various media outlets. If the QB is not very good, then that is also where State will finish.

redisgood
    Participant

On an unrelated note, State picked up a commitment in the 2017 class from Grant Gibson a DT from Mallard Creek. Most places have him as a 3 star, Rivals rated him a 4 star. Regardless, Mallard Creek is becoming a great pipeline for us.

rky
    Participant

yay . . . another year of mediocrity. What say you, faithful fellow Wolfpack fans . . . over/under 6 wins next season?

redwolf87
    Participant

RB is definitely deep. Need to get just enough of an OL to open just the smallest smidgen of daylight.

Not concerned about the QB. I’m still concerned about the vertical personnel. But, maybe once the new QB hits a couple of bombs that will change.

I’m traditionally a glass-half-empty guy (aren’t most of us?) but I think this year is going to exceed expectations.

But somebody had better cover in the D-backfield.

Fastback68
    Participant

IIRC, after 25 years of mediocrity, Jalan put West Meck on his back and carried them into the HS playoffs. I watched Jalan play two games in person. Not a talent scout, but I liked his toughness and when he made a mistake it didn’t turn into a pout session.

Now about that “erasing of the memory bank”. Erb or hammer/chisel

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.