The Ray Rice Issue

Home Forums StateFans Football The Ray Rice Issue

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 96 total)
  • Author
    tjfoose1
    Participant

Why would Goodell protect Ray Rice and the Ravens?

IMO, you’re missing the point and asking the wrong question. He wasn’t protecting Ray Rice and the Ravens. He was, or so he thought, protecting the NFL and it’s image.

tractor57
    Participant

^ this and he got it so wrong.

BJD95
    Keymaster

Here’s the thing that maybe bugs me the most…what did people think happened in that elevator BEFORE the tape came out? That she was clawing at his eyes, he shrugged her off, she slipped on ice cream and bumped her head?

Jeebus, wake the f-ck up already.

Without getting into too many painful details, I have seen domestic violence and its physical and psychological aftermath up close and personal. It’s pure evil, and absolutely terrifying. People don’t see or connect the dots because they don’t WANT to see.

This is not an NFL issue. But let’s hope that the NFL being in the spotlight does some scintilla of good for humanity.

tjfoose1
    Participant

There’s another video out, more complete and with audio. They were yelling at each other, then the fiance spits on Rice immediately prior to the punch. Class all around.

Doesnt excuse it, but explains it, a little. I can remember twice in my life when I was spit on. I “lost it” both times, visceral reaction, no thinking. Once as 3rd grader against an 8th grader. I got in my licks on the SOB before it was broken up.

TheCOWDOG

Thank you Beej.
    It is not an NFL issue.

Anyone that has been through it on the corners of the neighborhood agree, too.

tjfoose1
    Participant
      Clarification on my previous post. I did not see the video. I was relaying what was written in an account of it I read.
    nav
    Participant

I personally feel sure that Goodell and the Ravens saw the tape. The Ravens owner employees Goodell so Goodell said “Yes Sir” to whatever punishment the Ravens thought fit at the time to protect their high-priced investment.
    I’ma thinkin that they are soon to be called on their Bluff that they never saw the tape before and they will be in a much bigger pile of crap. Goodell will be the fall guy but he’s likely too big to fall. Just like GM and UNC.

StateRed44
    Participant

If she was physically assaulting him, I don’t buy it that she bears no responsibility. If we have equality, you cannot say one sex cannot defend itself from attack from another. The surprising thing about this video is the ferocity of the punch and his disregard in the aftermath.

pakfanistan
    Participant

If she was physically assaulting him, I don’t buy it that she bears no responsibility. If we have equality, you cannot say one sex cannot defend itself from attack from another. The surprising thing about this video is the ferocity of the punch and his disregard in the aftermath.

The problem is he’s a heavyweight, and she’s a featherweight at best. They should never have allowed a catchweight fight between two such dissimilar fighters.

Rick
    Keymaster

Doesnt excuse it, but explains it, a little. I can remember twice in my life when I was spit on. I “lost it” both times, visceral reaction, no thinking. Once as 3rd grader against an 8th grader. I got in my licks on the SOB before it was broken up.

Remind me to keep my saliva glands in check around you.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

A law enforcement official says he sent a video of Ray Rice punching his then-fiancee to an NFL executive three months ago,

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ap-newsbreak-source-says-rice-205240907–nfl.html

tjfoose1
    Participant

Remind me to keep my saliva glands in check around you.

I misremembered. It was 5th grade for me. I used the old “hit em in the nuts then bash ’em in the head when they bend over” trick. Then I jumped on him and started whaling. Dude was more stunned than anything, I think. Luckily for me it was broken up less than a minute in.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Me thinks the NFL has a bit of an image issue. ESPN is going to make it their agenda to take Goodell down. It does seem the job is a bit too big for him. And he appears to be lying his butt off.

highstick
    Participant

I’m becoming convinced that these athletes need to be neutered so as to not really care about these women…We call them “puck bunnies” in the hockey world and they are bad news!

"Whomp 'em, Up, Side the Head"!

tjfoose1
    Participant

The commissioner has no clothes. Been that way since he was hired. He’s just now being exposed.

Fastback68
    Participant

This is the darkest week for the NFL? IIRC, didn’t toothlessburger have two separate incidents of rape??? Janakowski two or more incidents of possession of date rape drugs??

tractor57
    Participant

Greg Hardy, Ray Rice, Adrian Petersen – poster boys for the darkest week ever. Big problem is the idiots running the NFL and the teams. Take the Vikes as an example – simply very bad PR so much so that Anheiser Busch called out the actions of the team (which now have been reversed BTW). Richardson with his public weeping but at the time Hardy was slated to play. Ray Rice should be thankful that the news cycle has past him by for a day.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Was thinking the same think, tractor. What are they thinking? Thing that ticks me off is how many people say AP and RR are “good guys”. Really? Do “good guys” spit on and beat women? Do “good guys” father seven children by seven different women? Heck, he didn’t even know a child of his that died last year.

tractor57
    Participant

Wulf arrogance comes to mind more and more. It seems the line that has been used is the news cycle to get things out of sight then carry on. That works if the next cycle doesn’t bring more crap about your operation. I heard today some congresscritter has introduced a bill to remove the nonprofit status of the NFL over the Redskins thing. IMO that won’t go anywhere but some other politician will latch onto that idea over the recent stuff – and maybe they should. I have a hard time understanding why the NFL has nonprofit status.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Cardinals running back Jonathan Dywer was arrested in Arizona on Wednesday on charges related to domestic violence. Dwyer has been charged with aggravated assault and preventing someone from calling 911, the CBS Evening News has reported.

StateRed44
    Participant

Something tells me this issue is not anywhere close to being over

Wulfpack
    Participant

What issue are you referring to? Rice’s issue? The NFL’s image problem? How stupid do these guys have to be? Stop putting your hands on women, guys. Seriously. How freaking dumb do you have to be?

ancsu87
    Participant

Ray Lewis is a SuperBowl MVP and future Hall of Famer …

StateRed44
    Participant

“putting hands on women” is not the issue. Not sure what that euphemism means. The issue should be the beating of women and children. The issue instead is the NFL and media witchhunt/outrage competition.

Wulfpack
    Participant

The issue should be the beating of women

Yes. That is obviously what I meant.

The issue instead is the NFL and media witchhunt/outrage competition.

Huh? The media/public outcry is that the NFL has not done enough. Are you suggesting the media focus is not warranted, when it seems every week now another player gets in trouble in this way? What about the sponsors that are upset? Not really understanding your argument.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 96 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.