The Pack are 1 point dogs to the deacons

Home Forums All StateFansNation The Pack are 1 point dogs to the deacons

Tagged: 

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    freshmanin83
    Participant

The 22nd ranked Wolfpack are the underdogs on the road against Wake Forest according to the odds makers.

http://www.oddsshark.com/ncaaf/nc-state-wake-forest-odds-november-18-2017-794190

Whiteshoes67
    Participant

Wake looks like the 3rd-4th best team we’ve played. SC is currently second in the east behind Georgia, even after losing an all-SEC receiver and a few other starters. They get Clemson after a patsy in a few weeks.

Pack1997
    Participant

When giving the odds the home team always gets 3 points for being the home team. So on a neutral field we are 2 points better than them. Having watched both teams play this year, we are in for one heck of a fight. I think the odds makers have it right as it is a 50/50 game.

choppack1
    Participant

Yep. I think we may be more physically impressive up front, but they are doing a better job of making the lemonade.

Fastback68
    Participant

And our kickers make the fudge.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

BYOB’s early-in-the-week game plan against the Baptists…

1. Tell Chubb and his crew to knock their QB out of the game in the first half…
    2. Tell Drinkwitz that his paycheck is getting docked $2000 every time he runs the stupid Wildcat…
    3. Play our game for three quarters…
    4. With the lead in the fourth quarter, Hines, Samuels and Harmon between the tackles — no exceptions…
    5. Tell the FB kickers, “We GOT this! — ALL your points are insurance…”
    6. Pray Hard, Work Hard, Play Hard.

POP!!!

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    TheCOWDOG

Bill…I agree.
    Except #4, of course. Now, Harmon running ‘tween tackles would be the ultimate Bill The Cat, fo’ sho’.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Sorry Cuz…

I didn’t mean Harmon running the ball between the hashes…

I meant Harmon catching the ball between the hashes…

POP!!!

choppack1
    Participant

Yep Bill – I said in the other post that we needed to hot Wolford hard and if necessary a little late – just don’t target. We want him not wanting to run and hearing footsteps when he throws

albunde55
    Participant

Thank goodness they picked Wake as favorite. Going to Wake as favorite, on TV, recipe for disaster. Russel Wilson!

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Yep Bill – I said in the other post that we needed to hot Wolford hard and if necessary a little late – just don’t target. We want him not wanting to run and hearing footsteps when he throws

With the score in the first 0-0… I’d trade a some blinks and bruises from couple of ‘roughing the passer’ whistles, a couple of sacks and constant in your face pressure from all sides until the Job was done… for seven points in a heartbeat…

Our D needs to announce it’s presence with authority.

The trick here being, of course, can we dial it back a notch for the rest of the game?

Thank goodness they picked Wake as favorite. Going to Wake as favorite, on TV, recipe for disaster

Yep – 100% agreed on dat… We don’t need any semblance of ‘cocky’, we need ‘something to prove – Dog Hungry….

Now… may I add one thing to my game plan?

The Offense needs to stay out of 3rd and long.. and keep the pressure off of Drinkwitz…
    POP!!!

Greywolf
    Participant

4. With the lead in the fourth quarter, Hines, Samuels and Harmon between the tackles — no exceptions…

Run Gallaspy in the 4th quarter

TheCOWDOG

How ’bout pull a Wake Forest, and throw some screens to Hines?

rthomas44
    Participant

This is Monday….go Panthers!

McCallum
    Participant

What’s up meat?

McCallum

Greywolf
    Participant

What’s up meat?

McCallum

S’up meat?

ryebread
    Participant

I wouldn’t lay a dime on this one, and the odds makers don’t surprise me either. I think we have the better talent, but Wake is getting more out of them. They’re just playing better than we are right now and this one is on the road. It’s going to take an A game to beat them and we’ll have to play better than we did last week.

As for the plan, Bill’s got it.

wolfpackdawg
    Participant

I read where we have only won twice in the Camel City since 2000.

McCallum
    Participant

Bull Durham

McCallum

gso packbacker
    Participant

Given the recent record between the two schools, Wake knows they can beat us, especially in their house. Conversely, we know a win there isn’t easy to come by. They have confidence, are playing well, and are at home. Again, no surprises for us.

To the point made by others, it’s about putting together a good gameplan and then executing.

Btw, I’d much rather be a slight underdog in this one than a slight favorite. How can that not be a little extra motivation?

YogiNC
    Participant

KILL the QB!

Drop him in his tracks. Stob him! Make him eat dirt! Pull a Sir Charles, ala 92 Olympics, and step on him when he’s down. Make him cry for his mommie! Make him go to the sidelines cryin’ not to go back in.

Smarter than the average bear

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Just checked… and game time against the Baptists is 7:30pm…

Now I don’t how ya’ll feel about that but I thinking Saturday Night Under the Lights will be good for the Wolfpack!!!

GOPACK!

choppack1
    Participant

Well, I can’t get hammered because I have folks I church with tailgating and then I gotta church the next night. Oh well, there’s always the next Saturday.

And yes, I am that classic Southerner/Catholic/Episcopalian … don’t take me fishing with a Case of beer unless you are bringing another church member.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

game time against the Baptists is 7:30pm…

I think it’s on ESPNU

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

Do to an unusually long out-of-town job assignment, I’ve watched less college football this year than any in recent memory. I watched most of the State games on ESPN replay or youtube and haven’t seen much of anyone else. So I put together a comparison of key stats to see why the gamblers have WF and State essentially even (key advantages highlighted):

http://www.statefansnation.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/NCSU-vs-WF.jpg

Ignoring the fact that SOS can drastically skew the various stat rankings, we can see that:

– Both offenses are far better than their respective defense, with WF’s offense slightly ahead of State’s.
    – Neither defense is especially good, but State’s >> WF.
    – Both passing defenses are essentially the same…and they both suck. (But not State 2003 bad, ie ranked 100+)
    – State’s red zone offense is especially horrendous.
    – Hines is obviously far better kickoff/punt returner than his WF counterpart.
    – FG kicking doesn’t show up on these stats, but I figure that WF has to have an advantage here.
    – I suspect that WF’s run defense directly leads to their poor Time of Possession.
    – The two teams are essentially even on turnover margin. So combine that with the defensive struggles, neither team can afford to start turning the ball over.

When there is a large mismatch between the rankings of total offense/defense and scoring offense/defense, then it’s usually enlightening to dig a little deeper.

For State, I suspect that their pathetic red zone offense explains the ranking difference between total and scoring offense.

For WF, their total defense ranks far worse than their scoring defense. Turnover margin might explain some of that difference.

Interestingly, States turnover margin is slightly better that WF’s and yet their scoring defense is ranked only slightly better than their total defense. This might be due to State’s horrendous 3rd down conversion defense or it could be related to the fact that at the weak end of the rankings it’s easier to jump up the standings than it is once you get towards the middle portion of FBS.

Both passing offenses are pretty good and both passing defenses suck. This could be a high scoring game. If State can consistently pound the ball on the ground, they might be able to wear down the already poor WF defense and gain an advantage there.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.