The NCAA Hammers UNC With Notice of Allegations

Home Forums All StateFansNation The NCAA Hammers UNC With Notice of Allegations

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 88 total)
  • Author
    Wolfpackjack76
    Participant

Report: UNC finalizing coach Roy Williams’ contract extension
    ESPN?

Most of the comments on the article were quite nauseating but I tend to agree with the idea that this is unx giving a giant middle finger to the world. And, obviously, they (the unx powers that be) have seen the unredacted version of the noa.

How is it that roy is so sickeningly untouchable?

Wolfpackjack76
    Participant
    packof81
    Participant

I’ll believe it’s real when I see some banners plural come down.

Whatever else the NCAA does is OK with me so long as banners plural come down.

This is all about Men’s Basketball national championships. That’s why they did it. Erasing those will hit them where they live. Nothing less will do.

highstick
    Participant

This republican legislature won’t bother UNCheat, the’re too busy with abortion,voting rights,and guns in everyway!

and what was the former democrat legislature too busy doing??? This has all been bi-partisan…

"Whomp 'em, Up, Side the Head"!

TheCOWDOG

The Holes are all in. How they gonna recruit without showcasing a Roy extension?

Williams ain’t part of the big picture, but the $$$$$ peeps sure are gonna prop him up for the short run. ESPECIALLY now!

Gowolves
    Participant

WPJ76, I was thinking the same thing when I heard about Ol’ Roy getting an extension. This is a BIG FU to the whole mess and to the NCAA. That’s just fine with me. Let him stay. When that program begins to deteriorate I want him there. It could be happening already on the recruiting trail if you listen to Roy whine like a b@tch about all the negative recruiting.

Luuuuke
    Participant

Agree with JG87

Started with Dean. Provided kids with opportunities to play, participate, be part of a family ( a WAY if you will ). He did take care of his “kids”. Even bought them dinner upon passing. This will be the new model. They were ahead of their time.

Talked to a co-worker today and wondered if some screws started coming loose when the Hells hired Matt Doherty. Not trying to besmirch him, they done him wrong, just part of the dysfunctional family way. He kept quiet, just wonder what he knows.

Lastly, waiting for UNX to use the old George Castanza defense….. “was that wrong? If I had only known that was company policy, I wouldn’t have had sex with the cleaning lady on my desk”

Hungwolf
    Participant

UNC preparing to answer the NOA question of what self imposed penalties have you imposed? “We gave the coach a raise and an extension!”
    Only the dumb-asses on the Hill could be that arrogant!

Andrew Carter’s article state only WBB was named in the five Level I allegations. Amazing how many lies and I see. MBB, football, and WBB are named outright in allegation number 5!

Name one liberal media article that the reads: UNC MBB program charged with LOIC, three UNC employees connected to MBB get UNC charged with Level I violations for unethical behavior and not cooperating, and athletes from all sports including MBB get UNC charged with Level I violation for 18 years of “impermissible benefits” from fraud AFAM classes!.

Lets hope the NCAA doesn’t forget what the NOA actually says!

TheCOWDOG

Hope this one fits the bill.

TheCOWDOG
    WolftownVA81
    Participant

^ An excellent read, thanks. That article sums up what UNC should do rather nicely. Of course, unlike the stock market, past performance is an excellent indicator for future performance at UNC so I think we know which path they will take. Maybe they’ll also quietly retire “The Carolina Way” tag line. They can’t afford the price tag of living up to what they say that means and not many people outside of die hard baby blues believe it anyway. Talk about trashing your brand.

TheCOWDOG

It’s a long way to Tipparary, but I’ll be damned if this thread is gonna sit unattended.

Henceforth, anything that graciously is passed on to me by the coaching geezers, shall be referred to as coming from: THE Elders.

The Elders say some NCAA youngins went off the reservation ’cause they got sick and tired of UNx council presence at damned near, every interview.

That’s all for now.

Heelh8r
    Participant

That is some juicy juice right there, CD, keep it coming.

ncsu1987
    Participant

CowDog is correct, above. Charges were dropped by the DA for cooperation with Wainstein, not NCAA. Remember Wainstein? The guy hired by UNx to investigate a very narrow scope of the open concerns? This pig lipstick was an absolute masterful stroke, providing just enough plausibility to keep the questions down while ensuring that the lips were buttoned up when the NCAA came back. Absolutely masterful.

Here’s what I’ve been thinking about: two of the 5 “Level 1” allegations dealt with essentially failure to cooperate. What does it mean that UNx would rather see two additional Level 1 allegations brought to the public than have these individual talk to them? How bad is it really?

TheCOWDOG

That’s for damn sure ’87.
    Lost or destroyed documents, too.

Ain’t ever seen that one in an NOA before.

NCSU88
    Participant
    WolftownVA81
    Participant

More good stuff. Hope the media keeps up the drum beat.

DFMo
    Participant

News and Observer Op-ed piece

UNC-CH must address culture that led to NCAA charges

Click here

The university’s response will be interesting. At this point, with Wainstein’s having confirmed virtually all of the reporting by Kane, UNC-CH surely won’t try to defend the indefensible.

But it may very well make an argument that has been made by other schools facing potential sanctions: Yes, there were problems, but all the people involved are gone. Why punish athletes who weren’t part of the problem or deny scholarships to those dreaming of college careers who now are in high school?

……

But this great university had a shocking, inexcusable and almost institutionalized culture of exploitation going on that brought shame on the university’s reputation, and not just its athletics reputation.

If the NCAA brings forth a weak-kneed punishment, its other members are going to react strongly and may even take the organization apart. But if it really comes down hard on UNC-Chapel Hill, it’s going to mess with a key ingredient of member schools of the Atlantic Coast Conference, for example, sharing in hundreds of millions of dollars over a multi-year period.

TheCOWDOG

Right. So what of the millions gained thru cheating, depriving other schools?

No…everyone will survive quite nicely on strict UNx sanctions.

MrPlywood
    Participant

Yes, there were problems, but all the people involved are gone.

This is a recurring theme in many posts by unx supporters. The rogues are gone, so no harm, no foul. Problem solved. There’s so much rationalization, deception and covering up going on over there they should get their own reality show on TLC to air right after the Duggar’s (yeah, they’ll be back).

More good stuff. Hope the media keeps up the drum beat.

And other fan bases have jumped on the bandwagon too, comment sections are repeating the facts and beating back the Heel apologists. We are no longer lonely voices in the wilderness, plenty of other people have connected the dots and know how schools with smaller infractions have been taken to the woodshed.

It’s put up or shut up time for Emmert.

ncsu1987
    Participant

^Yep. The “too big to fail” theory just doesn’t pass muster.

You can see the NCAA revenue distribution here.

The NCAA sets aside a percentage of its revenue for sharing with member schools. The “Basketball Fund” is one of 6 revenue sharing funds, and rewards Div I teams for success in the annual Div I basketball tournament. Essentially, every school that wins a game earns a “unit” for their conference, so the more games your conference wins, the more money the conference gets.

The amount of money the NCAA “shares” is dependent primarily on TV contracts, which do NOT stipulate higher payments if certain teams are participating.

So, I’ve heard two “missives” that I’d like to examine.

(1) “The NCAA will not hammer UNC because they would lose too much money.” This one is patently untrue. The only place this comes into play is in gear sales, and while UNC sells a lot of gear, their overall percentage is not enough to move the total revenue needle. The NCAA will get their money.

(2) “If the NCAA hammers UNC, it will be bad for the conference and for NC State because of the money we’ll lose.” So let’s do some quick engineering math. Each “unit” described above in 2014-2015 was worth approx $250,000. Worst case: UNC win’s championship without the hammer, wins NO tourney games with the hammer. Again as worst case, this means $1.5M that the conference would not receive. If we divide by the 16 members, this means each would receive $100,000 less. And this really is worst case: it ignores (a) the statistical likelihood of another ACC team making the tourney instead of UNC; (b) the possibility of a different ACC team winning additional games b/c UNC is not in the tourney; (c) the fact that participating team expenses are removed from the pool before distribution; (d) without going into gory detail, the distrubution model includes a 6-year moving average performance model; and (e) this simple analysis assumes a fair and equitable distribution by the conference overlords. So my estimate says that the hammer on UNC would cost NC State $60,000 per year.

I’ll take it.

TheCOWDOG

Thanks for the numbers ’87.
    That display alone is enough to lay aside wrong headed notions of the UNx cash flow juggernaut.

Wufpacker
    Participant

UNC Needs a Time Out

Not only have the adults not been in charge at the University of North Carolina in a long time, they appear to not exist at all. It is impossible for any rationally thinking person to believe that the type of corruption uncovered at UNC could exist for as long as it has without support throughout the University. Furthermore, it is impossible to conceive that the schemes existed without the knowledge and support of the Athletic Directors John Swofford and Dick Baddour or the vast amount of coaches who benefitted from the fraud. Roy Williams described in 2012 his “hands-on” approach to academics by saying, “We know what our guys are majoring in. We know — every day we’re in touch with those kids. So it’s something, again, that I’m very proud of.”

Much like a parent dealing with a truly unruly child, UNC needs a time-out. This punishment will likely not be self-imposed, nor will it likely come from the NCAA, but the University of North Carolina should cease all participation in collegiate sports for as long as it takes for the adults to emerge at the University and take charge. During this time, the University needs to root out the sources of its corruption, whether it be political figures, wealthy donors, heavily invested corporations, or unethical administrators. The University of North Carolina should take this opportunity to emerge from decades of wayward ethics and become what the NCAA model was intended to represent.

TheCOWDOG

Yep. You go sit in the corner for 2 or 3 years.

The world will go on without you.

Pack78
    Participant

^Plus, ya gotta pay for all of the candy that you shoplifted over the years…

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 88 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.