The NCAA Hammers UNC With Notice of Allegations

Home Forums All StateFansNation The NCAA Hammers UNC With Notice of Allegations

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 88 total)
  • Author
    Wolfpackjack76
    Participant

Oh yeah, there’s a hammer…for women’s basketball. They’re under the bus while everyone else walks away with a s*** eating grin on their face. Roy and his dadgum cronies are yukking it up right now. Nothing to see here…sad but true…Nothing to see here but wbb going down. What a horrific travesty.

Adventuroo
    Participant

Need to read the doc….so good old WW (NOT of the Dixie Dance Kings) got named. Roy stated in his book that WW was MORE important than any assistant coach.

Sylvia H done brought it on herself. I don’t think that saying Battle Axe Boxill was the “Most Ethical Person she ever knew”….says a lot about the friends and associates of Ms. Boxill….

If she were my momma, I would be made (as I probably would have inherited her ugliness), but I would disavow and change my name like Dana Brody did…

Wolfpackjack76
    Participant

Certainly wbb needs to go down. The travesty is that they are the only ones going down

Texpack
    Participant

There are a couple of points you need to take note of before you declare that MBB is going to skate.

The paper classes were declared an impermissible benefit. That translates to a loss of eligibility. The charts that show exactly who took those classes has been so heavily redacted that we don’t know for sure even what sports were involved. The statement in the NOA that says the AFAM scam particularly benefited MBB, WBB, and FB pretty much tells you that there are some MBB players in that chart. You can expect vacated wins for games where those players played and it would seem to me that the championships would be vacated if any of those players played at any point in the NCAA Tournament.

In the mitigating and aggravating factors section the reforms that the holes are touting don’t appear. The lack of cooperation is something that has historically pissed off the NCAA. The fact that they had to pay a second visit to the campus to uncover this further aggravates the NCAA when it comes to handing down penalties.

The fact that the reforms are the lone talking point suggests that the allegations will only be mildly challenged in their response. If the reports of an interview with Bubba last night are correct, and they get punished under the new penalty matrix they are looking at 3-4 years with no postseason. That would get reduced to 2 years, but I would expect major recruiting restrictions and scholly reductions from the LOIC and the breadth and length of time this scheme covered.

JohnGalt78
    Participant

Is UNCheat getting hammered? Really getting hammered? I think not. What I’m seeing here is a firing squad with rubber bullets. All show, a little pain, but no real blood drawn. My reasoning follows:

1) At the heart of the scam is UNCheat MENS basketball. Not women’s basketball or football, but MENS basketball, beginning with Dean Smith and expanded upon by RW. I truly believe that Dean, being the salt of the earth, bleeding heart, progressive that he was, felt that he could help disadvantage students who happened to be tremendous basketball players by creating an easier path to a degree. I think DS believed he was trying to do some good. But at the same time, he was giving himself an edge. RW on the other hand took the foundation DS created and built it into the massive scam that it became thus allowing other sports to benefit. While RW benefited from the available skills of ineligible athletes, the scam grew and became unruly, eventually becoming to big to hide. The football team especially became greedy as did women’s basketball. RW learned to hide his involvement as the “program” grew…using underlings to shield him.

2) So the NOA only touches on RW while shining a direct spotlight on Women’s basketball….by far the least important of the three programs involved at a significant level. All media outlets that I have seen so far also avoid linking the Football and Basketball program and their respective coaches to the scam in their interpretation of the NOA. In other words, the women’s basketball program is going to be thrown under the bus while the big boys and RW skate.

3) The thing that jumps out to me the most is….”If this is not academic fraud, what the hell is”? Yes, there was lack of institutional control. But, that simply means the big machine, in all its Flagship wonderfulness, lost track of a couple of things. No big deal really. They’re sorry and I’m sure it won’t happen again. BS! This was the greatest of all infractions…Academic Fraud. The NCAA took a pass on that and set the mirrors up and turned on the smoke machine by waving the LOIC banner.

IMHO, this is all being set up to help the cheats avoid the big sanctions and penalties that come with AF. LOIC is big, but in this case, it’s basically a free pass. And whatever hits the fan is pointed straight at the women’s B ball program and AWAY from Ole Roy.

Enjoy what you can of this. I will try. But I smell the same old rat that’s been scurrying around this big pile of dung from the beginning.

Alpha Wolf
    Keymaster

Wulfpack wrote:

Not seeing “the hammer” here, folks.

Agree.

When the NCAA mentions “Loss of Institutional Control” it automatically implies the Hammer of Thor. That’s their “not playing around” charge, and it is institutional, not sport specific.

Secondly, anyone who is saying MBB escaped the notice of the NCAA needs to re-read the NOA. MBB is mentioned something like 19 different times.

Wolfpackjack76
    Participant

Exactly what I said, Johngalt. The only thing that I take exception to is the fact that actually ol roy and ww masterminded and started all this bs in Kansas. deano went to visit and brought afam back to unx. when ol roy came to unx HIS program was already in place. K State fans should do some digging. Gotta hand it to ol roy…he’s slicker than owl s***

So yeah, they might lose a few schollies and maybe even miss a post season. But aint no wins or banners lost. And there SHOULD be 3 banners coming down.

Further reading on how roy and his ncaa and espn cronies set this up to avoid vacating wins and removing banners here:

http://www.foxsports.com/college-basketball/story/north-carolina-academic-scandal-allegations-violations-infractions-possible-penalties-ncaa-060415

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer/dennis-dodd/25205291/why-do-i-sense-a-sigh-of-relief-from-unc-coming-out-of-chapel-hill

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

Pat Forde’s take:

Did the NCAA enforcement staff give the COI a big enough hammer to smash the sacred cow, UNC men’s basketball? Or will Roy Williams’ program continue to avoid substantial damage from an academic scandal that has scorched a path through the school?

We don’t know. [Taken out of context, but accurately summarizes the article]

I don’t always like Forde’s stuff, but this one is surprisingly well balanced.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/no-slam-dunk-unc-will-be-punished-for-academic-fraud-allegations-204614769.html?soc_src=mail&soc_trk=ma

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

If the reports of an interview with Bubba last night are correct, and they get punished under the new penalty matrix they are looking at 3-4 years with no postseason

Pat Forde’s article at yahoo says that the “old” penalty matrix would be used because of when the allegations occurred. (Note that I haven’t read enough about new vs old to even have an opinion yet.)

Texpack
    Participant

If the reports of an interview with Bubba last night are correct, and they get punished under the new penalty matrix they are looking at 3-4 years with no postseason

Pat Forde’s article at yahoo says that the “old” penalty matrix would be used because of when the allegations occurred. (Note that I haven’t read enough about new vs old to even have an opinion yet.)

Early in the day that was what people were saying. It was only this morning that I read there had been an interview with Bubba on WTVD last night where he stated that the new penalty matrix would apply. I have not seen that confirmed anywhere yet.

TheCOWDOG

What Alpha said.

Take care searching for a tree when there is a whole forest in front of you.

Tex. As I understand it, UNx was blindsided by new matrix sanction phase.

AsheWolf
    Participant

Blindsided or dumbfounded?

freshmanin83
    Participant

This republican legislature won’t bother UNCheat, the’re too busy with abortion,voting rights,and guns in everyway!

Yep, if unc skates it will be those wascalwy weepubwicans fault.

Pack78
    Participant

I am already tired of the mantra (even in today’s CO) of the ‘one mention’ of ORW in the NOA…what we have seen is a HEAVILY redacted version of what the NCAA has sent to the Cheats. Wonder what subject(s) they would most want to delay info being known about at this point?

WolftownVA81
    Participant

Wonder if Swofford will attend the hearing this time around? If I were he, I’d be thinking about joining Jed out on Lake Gaston.

islandbreeze
    Participant

Videri Quam Esse…..the motto of Fraudolina and the pompous gasbags that run the place

tractor57
    Participant

Last night read some of the comments on IC. A few I thought were spot on and many were of the “how us?” type.
    The Hammer of Thor might reign with the LOIC charge but we shall see.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

The entire UNC debacle would appear to significantly weaken the NCAA’s position that college athletes are adequately compensated by the education that they receive. If the NCAA let’s UNC skate, then that position would only get worse.

Bottom Line: This entire situation gives the NCAA an opportunity to show how serious they are about giving athletes a real education…and the consequences of short-changing the educational benefits. In the end, we’ll see what we see.

WolftownVA81
    Participant

One thought occurred to me regarding the why the NCAA might have focused on impermissible benefits. If they were to hand down violations centered on academic fraud, wouldn’t that amount to proving the case for the former athletes who are suing UNC for defrauding them out of an education in exchange for playing sports? This would not be good for the NCAA or other schools that jettison players once their eligibility is used up or provided similar bogus classes just to keep them on the team without making progress toward a real degree.

YogiNC
    Participant

^ Now that is a wascalwy wabbit that figured that one out, AND I bet it’s the truth. It actually gives the NCAA the open door to say the athletes were ineligible which makes their case for all kinds and levels of sanctions and let’s them off the hook for the law suits, BRILLIANT!

Smarter than the average bear

WolftownVA81
    Participant

I just read the entire document and a lot of names were mentioned. Its time for the Feds to step in and arrest them all for violating the RICO Act:

The Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act, commonly referred to as the RICO Act or simply RICO, is a United States federal law that provides for extended criminal penalties and a civil cause of action for acts performed as part of an ongoing criminal organization.

I wonder if PackPride or Dan Kane will get mentioned in UNCs response to the section on how they discovered the infractions.

Fastback68
    Participant

Iirc wake county DA drops charges against two of these tools because they are going to cooperate with NCAA. Then said tools refuse to cooperate. Remember Gene Hackman in Mississippi Burning when he takes the straight razor and replaces the barber. I’d like to do the same with every Unx rogue to get the truth. Deputy Dog would be last after all the dirty details were already known. Every lie would have consequences.

YogiNC
    Participant

Time to give the DA’s office a jingle and remind them of that little tidbit. They get enough calls they may just get irritated enough to do something about it.

Smarter than the average bear

TheCOWDOG

Don’t believe NCAA was part of the deal. Wainstein, but not NCAA…I think.

Fastback68
    Participant

^yeah you are right but their lack of cooperation with ncaa only leads me to believe they could name names and prove it. Bank accounts now have extra zeros.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 88 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.