The Dominion That Is Old – Open Query

Home Forums StateFans Football The Dominion That Is Old – Open Query

Viewing 24 posts - 76 through 99 (of 99 total)
  • Author
    PackerInRussia
    Participant

The thoughts spinning round my mind after yesterday’s pigskin affairs:

Will ND even be ranked when the Pack plays them?

Will Virginia win a game this year?

Will Duke’s “enhanced football experience” also include winning?

Is FSU going to have a bad year or will Louisville have a really good year? Or was it just a fluke game?

Will the Pack come out on top in a competitive game against a decent/good opponent this year?

What’s the deal with the “nobody’s” playing the “big boys” so close and even winning some? Is this the NCAA tournament or something?

Will the NCAA stop forcing student athletes to choose between “men’s” and “women’s” sports? (sorry, couldn’t resist! tongue in cheek, so you know it’s all good)

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

Troll…

ain’t GOTT enough cold ones to make this game exciting…
    one or the other is making me sleepy…

Troll…
    ain’t GOTT enough cold ones to make these comments entertaining or amusing.

The football program ain’t entertaining nor amusing either.

BJD95
    Keymaster

Louisville is REALLY good. Both lines are solid, uber-well coached, and they have a Heisman-caliber QB in Lamar!…that is a recipe for a special season.

Pity for them they go into YOOOOOUUUUUSTON on a short week late, given how pollsters operate. That could get FSU into the playoffs and leave Ville at home, in which case I will boycott THAT action.

PackFan
    Participant

I’m not sure why someone like Iowa would schedule NDST. Much like the Pack playing ECU, the risk far outweighs the benefits.

BJD95
    Keymaster

also, Holes don’t belong in the Ville/FSU/Clem tier. I would argue that Ville is also its own tier, as they will prove in Death Valley, but Tiggers and Noles still >>> Holes.

rthomas44
    Participant

A series of butt kickings is coming. I don’t know how else to say it

Adventuroo
    Participant

I would say that Butt Kickings is a bit understated. It will be more in the order of sexual assault and public humiliation as the “acts” we would be required to perform to spare our lives are usually classified along those lines.

BUT, you never knows….and THAT is why we will field a team.

Here is a link to the CBS site. Their “CBS” polls are off a bit from the mainstream. Imagine the MSM being out of sync with itself….?

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/rankings/ap

FSU moved a notch or two further down the food chain than I thought. I doubted they would be in the top TEN. Likewise Petrino and the lads in Red (Cardinals) moved up more than I though. I figured they would crack the top 5, but they did a bit better.

Nostros Damos? Who knows….but they WILL not want a downer of a loss to us…so they will be motivated. Question is….will we still have our high moral and motivational crowns about playing our BEST (and presumably having an opportunity to win) OR will we be shell shocked and you could put the Broughton HS team into ND uniforms and they would have their way with us….?

I really DO hope that this week’s BYE is the miracle at NCSU. It has been good for us in the past, but came MUCH later. We played Cup Cakes and a team that we SHOULD have beaten and are now 2 & 1 and the REAL season (depending on your rating of WFU) is about to begin.

FSU?

choppack1
    Participant

Yea roo. I said that the real tragedy of the ECU game was that it dampened enthusiasm for both the wake game and the domer game. I think we are all hoping that we a coach who would enforce a TOB type discipline with Amato’s recruiting ability. The real season starts in 13 days.

And make no mistake, whether he gets fired this year of not, these next 9 games will determine whether or not the DD era is remembered fondly or rises only above Tom Reed.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

And make no mistake, whether he gets fired this year of not, these next 9 games will determine whether or not the DD era is remembered fondly or rises only above Tom Reed.

^this, unfortunately… for reasons, both right and wrong….

a moral dilemma … of sorts….

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    choppack1
    Participant

Yea Bill. Like I said, after the ecu game we entered the “stay together for the kids” phase. Miracles can still happen.

He has done a nice job getting talent in various spots, but I just don’t think our D’s scheme/talent combo will allow us to be competitive.

This d would be fine 10 years ago, but with the advent of spread offenses we simply don’t have enough speed on the edges and in pass coverage. Again, what is most disappointing is that dd is a defensive guy and he kept hux.

This doesn’t bode well for his judgement, which doesn’t bode well for the future.

We are definitely a more talented program than we were 4 years ago, but record wise it will be quite a season if we make to 4-4 in conference.

Adventuroo
    Participant

Absolutely agree. DD has done a lot of positive things for our program…..however, he may well now be in over his head and the chains we was supposed to shake off are still securely fastened about him.

After watching Tom Hanks as “Sully” last night, I think that DD and Sully’s personalities are a lot alike….although DD has chosen a field where he HAS to be in the limelight. Maybe there will a “Miracle in the 2016 FB Program”….don’t know?

But, I described the ODU game to someone as “Never in modern NCAA football history did a win do so much damage to the overall perception of a program….”

YES, we got a lot of younger players some “snaps”, but we (the starters on defense) let ODU score too easily and too often. The game was really NOT decided until late in the second quarter. FSU’s fate was known my mid first quarter and THEY had the talent (and supposedly the coaching) to come back.

Did NOT hear a “We want ART chant”, but had it broken out….I don’t know if I would have tried to shout it down or joined it.

To me, a casual and non “technical” observer, our Defense looked pitiful….

Maybe CD and others with a keener eye and more “game savvy” skills can comment….

tj foose
    Participant

The significant red flag is the defense. It waves large and loud.

It continues to be a glaring point of exposure. Even at it’s best in the Coach D era, it routinely gives up the big play, to the favored, and the vastly over matched, alike. Inconsistencies in execution and basic fundamentals still persist. Player development is inconsistent, slow, and sometimes, regressive. The unit as a whole, and individual position units often under perform their talent.

These are known issues for all to see. There is once consistent variable. There has been no change.

Coach D has shown he will not hesitate to replace members of his staff when he feels it is warranted.

So what gives?

Will Coach D make the move he needs to make, or will the upcoming gauntlet make it for him?

TheCOWDOG

Time out: State had a game against ODU. They coulda’ won by 6 scores and the song remains the same.

You want something technical about the D, Roo? There isn’t anything. Same schemes, but technically, different players involved the 14 pt. 4th quarter. Back-up LB (Howell) got caught flat footed, and (not on the depth chart,Morehead) SS was way late to recognize. This …on the 65 yrd. run.

Backup Rover, Clark got twisted and beat on ODU final score. No excuses. If they’re gonna run ya out there…play better.

Now. The #1 unit went like this:
    Punt
    FG off fumble
    Punt
    Punt
    Punt
    3rd quarter 91 yard TD drive
    Punt

But. It was ODU. BTW. Only 2 penalties, so there is that.

Adventuroo
    Participant

CD,

I said that I wanted someone knowledgeable. If I understand you, we got some higher numbers on the Depth Chart some turf time. That is great.

So, CD, how did YOU rank the game (or the #1 guys) this weekend? Did we do what we wanted to do? Were we better prepared? What do you think will be the overall outcome this season or maybe, what is your expectation?

Do you think that the ECU game is actually gonna cost us some games (or maybe make it tougher to win the ones we should?).

Lot of fans (and they are novices…like me) that are understandably upset. There was absolutely NO mention of FB at the HOF dedication….for fear that the evesdropping devices would pick it up. Maybe that was by design so that, like an interception, you put it behind you and throw the next ball.

I felt that DD’s post game presser could have been more upbeat without insinuating that we will run the table from here. It reminded me of TOB’s comments (forgot the game) when we won and he was critical of “how” we won and said “We are NOT a good football team….”. Memory says that the team lived up to his expectations for the next few games.

What say you?

TheCOWDOG

Look. There was but 3 things I was looking for when I posted on page one, coming off ECU and playing against a team that would reveal to us, nothing new about circa 2016.

1. Finley’s ball sailed some v. ECU
    Saturday one did…first throw. +
    2.Thought both lines got off the ball slowly v.ECU.
    Crisper this week. +
    3.Penalties killed them at D-F.
    Two.I say, 2 penalties v. ODU. +

That’s it. That’s all I was looking for, and all I felt that could be taken away from a game to be won by 4 or 5 scores.

They are a better club than how they played in Greenville. Will they be that club going forward?
    I just don’t know.

tj foose
    Participant

I, admittedly, was not at the game, so I did not have the field view I normally have at CF. I had to rely on ESPN3, and intermittently at that on my devices.

I still don’t like what I do see, but CD’s points offer valid perspective, if not rebuttal.

TheCOWDOG

^ They have a long way to go to achieve rebuttals, but ya gotta have a little perspective, and fact along the way.

.. 2016 speaking.

Ya, meaning plural, yous guys, me…Everybody, Everybody. (What was that song? Frampton?)

pakfanistan
    Participant

….stuff….

Did you lose your old account or are you an imposter?

TheCOWDOG

To be clear, I wasn’t at CF either. Just homed in on replays that I thought I saw in the first place.

McCallum
    Participant

He is in over his head like Monica was on Bill.

McCallum

rthomas44
    Participant

Wake’s QB is out, maybe that game can be a w. Maybe.

choppack1
    Participant

In general, it’s foolish for fans to complain about scheme, because what we’re really complaining about is the results.

Interestingly enough, coming into last year, we had a lot to be excited about on D…and against Vatech and Louisville the d did have us under the proverbial Mendoza line (24 points) for most of the game. The problem in those 2 games was that the offense didn’t reach the mendoza line (scoring 13 in each one.)

Then came the 2nd half of the season where we put up decent point totals vs UNC and Clemson, but couldn’t stop them when necessary. I will forever believe that we were headed for an upset in tally, but then Jimbo woke up and changed qbs…at which point we were shredded.

So, we get to see what happens with a bye week. Can we improve enough to get to 7-5?

tj foose
    Participant

To be clear, I wasn’t at CF either. Just homed in on replays that I thought I saw in the first place.

Yeah, but you’re watching closer than me. 🙂 I’m only half engaged this season.

tjfoose1
    Participant

That other one is me, too. I didn’t even realize I was logged into that account. I had forgotten I even had it.

Viewing 24 posts - 76 through 99 (of 99 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.