The Case For Mike Glennon

Home Forums All StateFansNation The Case For Mike Glennon

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    tobaccordshow
    Keymaster

Mike Glennon sat behind Russell Wilson for two seasons. His career through his Redshirt Sophomore year was an enigma. No one in #WPN knew really what
    [See the full post at: The Case For Mike Glennon]

Wulfpack
    Participant

It will obviously all depend on the hires and the direction Tampa is to go, but he did a fine job under difficult circumstances this year. The one knock, and it is a big one, is his lack of mobility. But everyone knew that and he still did a good job. With Brees, Ryan and Newton firmly situated in the division, it will be a “tall” order for MG and the Bucs.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Considering how Mike stepped in to a “bad situation” — no pun intended… and responded under fire…. there are just too many other “bad” teams in the NFL for him to sit on the sidelines…

He’s gotten every GM’s attention and he’s gonna play …. somewhere. Could be as a starter or a the backup for a couple of years while he continues to learn… either way, he’s gonna play… if he’s healthy.

And there just might be worse places and worse teams to play for than Tampa.

———–

Glennon’s first year stats in Tampa… don’t help to end the TOB/Russell/Glennon debate — fact is — they are more fuel for the fire that will burn on for several more years.

Not that the debate matters one bit to either Russell or Mike… one of this season’s highlights was definitely the Seahawks-Bucs game in Seattle… both on the field and off.

I guess if you want to be a NFL quarterback, NC STATE has to be one of the five schools that have to be considered.

Either that or go to Charlottesville and play for ol’ TOB.

:>}

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    Tau837
    Participant

First off, I recommend that you avoid much reliance on QBR as a useful metric. It has major flaws.

Setting that aside, Glennon did not perform very well this year. He completed just 59.4% of his passes (#26 among qualifying QBs) for just 6.2 yards per attempt (#37 among qualifiers). Those are metrics that are much more appropriate to use when judging QB play, and both of those numbers are awful.

Glennon’s 19:9 TD to interception ratio was good, especially for a rookie. But there are no positives beyond that.

ProFootballFocus rated him as the #32 QB this season… and their ratings are cumulative, so the fact that he didn’t play the first 3 games might have kept him from finishing lower. Their metrics show that he was a good deep passer but was terrible under pressure. Not much different than when he was starting for the Wolfpack.

Glennon ranked #22 in Football Outsiders QB passing DYAR, which measures QB total value. He ranked #26 in FO QB passing DVOA, which measures QB value per play. He ranked #31 and #34, respectively, in FO QB rushing DYAR and DVOA.

He was better than Josh Freeman, but that says more about how badly Freeman regressed/imploded than it says anything positive about Glennon.

With Schiano gone, I think it is more likely than not that Glennon will be replaced this offseason, one way or another. If not, I doubt his play will improve much, if at all, and he will likely be replaced after one more season.

I hope I’m wrong about that, but I don’t see Glennon as ever being more than a backup caliber NFL QB.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

… How does one edit these posts ???

—————
    I heard that some sports writer asked Glennon after a game down in Tampa which included several sacks which failed to rattle the rookie…

“What do you think about the (NFL) pass rush… those guys are pretty big and fast aren’t they ??”

To which Glennon replied…. “Yeah they are… but I learned how to handle the pass rush at NC STATE…”

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    Tau837
    Participant

^Sorry, that should say 6.3 YPA. Don’t see any way to edit my post to fix it. But the associated ranking is correct.

tobaccordshow
    Keymaster

Points taken Tau, however, the sack metric is misleading due to the inability for the Tampa Bay line to buy him any time. That also explains his YPA as well.

It’s all about where you go. Had Philip gone to NY (as was where he was drafted and Eli Crybaby didn’t demand a trade), Philip would have 2+ rings.

Glennon landed in TB which gave him an incredibly opportunity to start – but not a place where he can thrive… yet.

tobaccordshow
    Keymaster

And Tau, I thought about penning two articles, the case for and the case against. This one is obviously the for.

Are there metrics saying get rid of Glennon? Sure.

Wulfpack
    Participant

To me the point is he played well enough as a rookie, and most importantly in a difficult situation, to warrant a good long hard look. And you can bet your behind GMs and coaches are doing just that. He showed be can play.

state73
    Participant

MG will have a long NFL career as a starter if he remains healthy. What a cannon!

Wolfanatic
    Participant

A very fair assessment of the situation, Tobaccordshow. Being a die-hard Bucs and Wolfpack fan, I can’t help my bias in this situation. Mike’s numbers were certainly very good considering the circus that was going on around him. His 83.9 passer rating bested RGIII, Tannehill, Flaco, Eli Manning, Fitzpatrick, E.J.Manuel, and Geno Smith.

The truth is that Glennon had little help from the running game after injuries to Doug Martin, Mike James, and Jeff Demps. The poor excuse for the running game very often led to second and long and third and long situations as the offensive line failed to produce any daylight more often than not. Ted Larsen took over for an ineffective Jamon Meredith at the end of the season at RG, but didn’t fare much better. Left tackle Donald Penn resembled a swinging gate far too often, which led to numerous sacks of Glennon.

In the passing game, Mike Williams, the number two receiver was placed on IR in mid October leaving only Jackson as a threat at the position. Rookie Russell Shepard also was put on IR leaving the Bucs to finish the season with Chris Owusu, third string TE Tim Wright, Tiquan Underwood, and rookie Skye Dawson to strike fear in the hearts of opposing secondaries. It was certainly a recipe for double-teaming Jackson, thus making Glennon’s job even more difficult.

Personally, given the situation, I believe Glennon has proved himself such that the new GM and Head Coach will look to fill voids elsewhere on the team. With 13 games under his belt without a great deal of offensive help I believe he will surprise a lot of the naysayers. With Martin back in the running game, Williams back at wide receiver, and veteran Carl Nicks back at right guard the Bucs offense should be much improved. The return of Stocker, Crabtree, and the elusive Demps will also help Glennon to manage the game. The Bucs need a defensive end to make up for the bust Da’Quan Bowers, still more help in the secondary, and perhaps a new left tackle more than they need another rookie quarterback to learn under fire. Hopefully, the new GM and Head Coach agree, for Mikey’s sake.

coach13
    Participant

The eyeball test told me he did a darn good job under less than desirable circumstances.

Tau837
    Participant

It is actually quite interesting to compare Wilson and Glennon, especially since they both are Wolfpack alums. It’s true that Wilson was in his second year, which clearly gave him an advantage. But many of the same excuses being made for Glennon in this thread also apply to Wilson.

Seattle’s #1 WR (Harvin) missed 15 games this season.
    Seattle’s #2 WR (Rice) missed 8 games this season.
    Seattle’s #1 LT (Okung) missed 8 games this season.
    Seattle’s #1 RT (Giacomini) missed 7 games this season.

Beyond that, Seattle’s #1 TE, C, RG, and LG also each missed 1-3 games. As far as targets, Wilson certainly had no one comparable to Vincent Jackson.

Wilson was under pressure on more snaps than any QB in the NFL this season, and was mostly without his top 2 targets, yet he completed 63.1% of his passes and averaged 8.2 YPA. Glennon was under the next highest amount of pressure, and we’ve discussed his performance already.

Is it reasonable to explain away the difference by the fact that Wilson had one more year in the NFL? I tend to think not, I tend to think Wilson is a much more capable QB who will start for 15+ years in the NFL, whereas Glennon will likely be a journeyman.

It will be interesting to see it play out.

Gene
    Participant

Not as scientific as some of the metrics you guys use, but Seattle had the 4th best rushing attack this season. Tampa Bay had the 22nd best.

The offensive load was not as dependent on Wilson, as the load was at Tampa.

Plus Seattle has a very good defense, which can take the pressure off the offense to always have to make plays.

Wilson is doing very well in Seattle, I’ll take nothing away from him.

I just think if you took Glennon and plugged into Philadelphia, in place of Nick Foles, Glennon could put up Foles type numbers. The two are fairly similar in size, (lack) of athleticism and having strong arms that can make all the throws needed from an NFL QB.

The new coaching staff in Philadelphia has turned out to be really good and Foles is playing at a high level, for the most part, since he became the starter.

Tau837
    Participant

Gene, I think you are severely underrating Foles with that post.

Foles is much more mobile than Glennon. Foles is much better at moving in the pocket and outside the pocket to make throws (as opposed to running). He is also a better runner… he rushed 57 times for 221 yards and 3 TDs this season, compared to Glennon’s 27 rushing attempts for 37 yards and 0 TDs. Foles also turned the ball over much less often.

Texpack
    Participant

If Gary Kubiak ends up in TB we will know in two years how good Glennon can be. That would be a much better outcome for MG than Lovie Smith.

BJD95
    Keymaster

Kubiak in TB would be ideal for MG’s development. Kubiak is a fantastic offensive/QB mind. Denver took him in the 7th round the same year they got Elway.

Selfishly, though, I want Kubiak to be OC in Denver next year.

A 6.3 YPA is by no means good (that and TD/INT ratio are the metrics I trust), but it’s acceptable given the direness of the situation in Tampa, and the very good (especially for a rookie) TD/INT ratio. I think you have to give him another year, and see if he progresses. Contrary to the prevailing wisdom, I don’t like this QB class at all. If I were drafting, would wait and take Aaron Murray.

Oh yeah, and backup NFL QB is easily the best job in America.

wilmwolf80
    Participant

All of these statistics are great. But I think it is unwise to only look at things from a statistical perspective. there are aspects to the job that are unmeasurable. I needn’t remind everyone that based solely on “measurables” the great majority of “experts” didn’t think that Russell would ever play a down at NFL QB.

Tampa Bay was a dumpster fire from the start of the season. Are there QBs out there that could have done better in Glennon’s shoes? Without a doubt. But we have to remember that he was thrown in to the fire, in a terrible situation, and was serviceable at worst, and decent at best. If any thing his statistics for the year should match up pretty close to his years here, because like the NC State teams he played for, the Bucs were woeful in several key areas that help a QBs success, namely pass blocking and rushing. As impressive a season as PeytonBot V2.0 has had this year, you can’t tell me that he would have been as successful with Tampa Bay’s O-line blocking for him. It’s hard to complete passes from your butt, and it’s hard to pass when the other team knows there is no threat of either a. a running game, or b. a mobile QB.

If I were in charge of the Bucs, and thankfully I’m not, I would not be drafting a QB. In fact, if I were in charge, I would be trading my high pick for multiple picks lower in the first and early second rounds to load up on skilled linemen. Is Mike going to have a great career? Who knows, certainly not any of us. Did he play well enough for to earn another year at the helm? I think so.

Gene
    Participant

Tau,

Nick Foles played in 7 games his rookie year, when the Eagle’s finished 4-12, i.e. on a bad team like Glennon is on this year.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/14877/nick-foles

He rushed 11 times for 42 yards. He had six TD’s to 5 Int’s with a 60.8% completion percentage, and averaged 6.41 yards per attempt.

My point is the Eagles cleaned house of bad players. Had two good drafts in 2012 and 2013 and got a new infusion of life with a new coaching staff that has turned out to be pretty good.

Glennon is not good enough to excel with a bad team around him. In a good situation, with a good coaching staff and good talent around him, I think he could one of the better QB’s in the NFL.

He seems very similar to Nick Foles, who is a product of the system he is in at this point in his career.

I see not reason, why Glennon cannot be that good in the right situation.

44rules
    Participant

If you include Matt Ryan, TOB coached four of the NFL’s current starting QBs, not three.

Communism is not love. Communism is a hammer which we use to crush the enemy. Mao Zedong

Gowolves
    Participant

Not being a smart ass. I honestly don’t know. If Kubiak is so good why did Schaub regress every year? I think Glennon had a great year for being a rookie and playing for a dysfunctional team. It is all relative. I think he will continue to improve.

Tau837
    Participant

Which starter did TOB coach besides Ryan, Wilson, and Glennon?

tobaccordshow
    Keymaster

Yeah, I’m not identifying the 4th.

StateFans
    Keymaster

Heck, TOB & Bible had at least 4 or 5 NFL starters through the years at Boston College.

TheCOWDOG

TOB Hartsell
    TOB M.Hasselbeck
    Bible T.Hasselbeck
    Bible Ryan
    Bible St.Pierre

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.