The 'Brett Austin Deserves His Own Thread' thread.

Home Forums All StateFansNation The 'Brett Austin Deserves His Own Thread' thread.

Tagged: 

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Wufpacker
    Participant

http://www.thetimesnews.com/sports/royals-minor-league-baseball/former-n-c-state-catcher-looks-to-create-own-niche-1.359872

They do actually manage to talk about Brett for about half of the article, when not talking about Rodon, or to a lesser extent, Turner.

Brett Austin joined the Chicago White Sox organization as a fourth-round draft selection and that would normally count as a pretty big deal.

For Austin, he’s bound to always be connected with someone else in the draft class — former North Carolina State pitcher Carlos Rodon, whose status tends to cause a really big commotion.

“That’s sort of been my life for these last three years,” said Austin, a catcher for the Kannapolis Intimidators. “It’s kind of crazy, the (scouting director) called and told me, ‘Hey, we want to keep you and Carlos together’ before they actually selected me. I thought it was kind of a joke. I didn’t really know how to take it. Sure enough, they ended up taking me.”

[snip]

Austin dropped nearly three rounds — he was a supplemental first-round selection by the San Diego Padres out of Charlotte Providence — in the 2011 draft. He said he has no second thoughts about going the college route.

“I look back at it now and I have no regrets,” he said. “I’m not really worried about that. Followed my heart and did what made me happy.

[snip]

Austin, who skipped short-season levels, had been hitting at about a .265 clip with Kannapolis until a recent dip. Considering that the college season began in February, he said he feels fresh for this time of the year — probably in part because of N.C. State’s fluctuating results that prevented the Wolfpack from making the NCAA Tournament.

“I think it was about three weeks I had off,” he said. “It was much needed after catching a lot of games back in school. Those three weeks gave me an opportunity to get my feet underneath me and get ready for the pro ball.”

“They talk about it being a grind. We don’t like to use that term because we get to come out here and play baseball every day. It’s fun being able to come out to the ballpark every day. You don’t have to worry about classes, tutors and all that.”

44rules
    Participant

“You don’t have to worry about classes, tutors and all that.” So playing minor league ball is like playing football, basketball and baseball at Chapel Swill?

Communism is not love. Communism is a hammer which we use to crush the enemy. Mao Zedong

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.