Swofford's bliss + Bubble Watch open thread

Home Forums All StateFansNation Swofford's bliss + Bubble Watch open thread

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    wufpup76
    Keymaster

It’s the latest game of the century tonight. Yay. Greensboro rejoices.

There’s also Louisville @ Syracuse – no bubble ramifications here since ‘Cuse recused (heh) themselves from the postseason. I say ‘go Cardinals!’ to keep our victory over them going strong in the cpu department. Unfortunately for Louisville, they’ll be without the guy who was a true pest to us – Chris Jones. He’s been suspended.

No Wolfpack during the week, but we can keep up with the adventures of our fellow bubble dwellers. So far this week, we’ve seen Clemson all but eliminated w/ a loss @ GT, and Pitt failed to capture a significant win @ Virginia. Miami picked up a near must-have @ BC, and travel back home tonight to face VT. Go Hokies.

Here’s a helpful viewer’s guide for other games across the country tonight. The Wolfpack controls its destiny at the moment, but it doesn’t hurt to cheer against bubble teams playing against non-bubble teams.

Espn does a great job and is very thorough with their version of ‘Bubble Watch’. There’s an interesting breakdown of Seton Hall’s collapse along with great info on all other hopeful teams.

Here’s N.C. State synopsis for anyone not interested in clicking the link:

NC State [15-11 (6-7), RPI: 47, SOS: 2] Ask and ye shall receive. OK, so we didn’t exactly ask NC State to go out and get its bad self a win at Louisville Saturday. We merely said the Wolfpack would have to conjure something special against the Cardinal to remain in the bubble conversation. That, it turns out, is exactly what they did. NC State’s 74-65 win at Louisville is about as good as February bubble wins get, and pretty rare, too — it’s just not that often you see a mediocre team beat a very good one on the road. In doing so, NC State fully stopped the last month of slippage, when it had lost five out of six, and completely redeemed last week’s close missed chance at home against Virginia. Mark Gottfried’s team gets to take the week off before what should (note: should) be an easy home victory over Virginia Tech, one that will get State back to .500 in league play. And if NC State can possibly repeat the trick at UNC, we might have our first genuine bubble miracle of the season at hand.

Last, an update on Mick Cronin.

Enjoy, everyone.

pakfanistan
    Participant

That diagnosis and prognosis on Cronin is much less grim than what I heard originally. Good to hear.

I still hate his style and team though 😛

VaWolf82
    Keymaster
    BJD95
    Keymaster

I am wearing my State stuff all day and will go to bed at 9:00. Hopefully they will go ahead and cancel school by then (since I know they will eventually) so I don’t have to set my alarm.

Fastback68
    Participant

Have not watched a duke UNX bb game in over 20 years. Can’t do it.

Patton oswalt on justified tomorrow. His YOLO kill was epic.

Going to Raleigh for man mur cut and vt game. Need a Ron Swanson type restaurant recommendation.

tractor57
    Participant

It’s Wednesday night so it will be The Americans rather that so called game of the decade, century or whatever.

WTNY
    Participant

Going old school tonight at 9pm — Star Trek II and the Wrath of Khan!

TheCOWDOG

I’m down to my last 2 cans of Sterno, and if I manage to locate the frostbite gear…

I might still be able to catch a buzz.

MrPlywood
    Participant

Hopefully they will go ahead and cancel school by then (since I know they will eventually) so I don’t have to set my alarm.

Ha. The former school super here in Victoria is a friend of mine. We rarely get snow, so you can imagine the level of driving skills (or lack thereof) when we do. He would ALWAYS wait until the last minute to cancel school, not giving the word until 6:30am ~ 7am. He pissed off many a parent.

BJD95
    Keymaster

It’s Wednesday night so it will be The Americans rather that so called game of the decade, century or whatever.

Can’t wait to watch that over coffee in the morning. Best show on TV.

tractor57
    Participant

BJD one of my personal favorites. If not the best show on TV certainly in the top 5.

wufpup76
    Keymaster

Lunardi does a blind resume test on N.C. State and Pittsburgh … our numbers stack up pretty well against the bubble:

A look ahead to action today

Yahoo ‘The Dagger’ Bubble breakdown from yesterday’s games – includes updates on Miami and Cincinnati

An interesting look at going from college to the D-League.

Khem Birch, a former McDonald’s All American, left UNLV after his junior season. At the time, he thought a pro team would pick him in the 2014 NBA draft. That didn’t happen.

So he now plays for the Sioux Falls Skyforce. He doesn’t have a car in South Dakota, so coaches pick him up for practices. When he’s not playing basketball, he’s playing NBA2K on his Xbox One.

“At UNLV, there were more things to do,” Birch said. “Out here, it’s nothing to do. I questioned [my decision] when I didn’t get picked.”

I wish Adam Silver would guide the NBA towards adopting an MLB-type policy when it comes to players who go to college. Of course, wish in one hand, sh*t in the other and see which one fills up applies here. At the least, I do hope the one-and-done rule goes away – and soon. You can either make it out of high school, or you can’t. Those who can are the extreme exception, even if teams draft based on “potential”. The earlier this info gets to kids the better imo.

If a kid knows they can’t make it out of high school, maybe they think twice about leaving after their freshman or sophomore seasons at college. Hopefully, by then they’re surrounded by people who actually care about their future and the decisions they make. Still, for a ton of reasons, there are so many ill-informed decisions made by high school seniors and college frosh and sophomores. I also know that sometimes kids try to make it out of apparent necessity – I certainly can’t fault anybody for trying to that end.

The quality of play in the NBA now is, imo, way better than it was in the late ’90’s and early this century. Teams draft and plan better, and more information is available than ever before. The athletes are amazing, if not always finely-tuned on skill sets. Still, I don’t know if it matches the era of the ’80’s and early ’90’s. I’d be very interested in a contrast story on the NBA game when it was played mostly by guys who had been in college for three plus years vs. how it is today. But, whatevs.

PackerInRussia
    Participant

Going old school tonight at 9pm — Star Trek II and the Wrath of Khan!

You can never go wrong with some classic Star Trek. Especially The Wrath Of Khan. I’ve been introducing my son to Start Trek. We’re up to Start Trek V.

wufpup76
    Keymaster

B1G discussing the return of freshman ineligibility and getting feedback from conference commissioners

I’m guessing there’s probably an ulterior motive aside from “best interest of the student athletes”.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.