Survived. Advancing… NC State 74 – Xavier 59

Home Forums All StateFansNation Survived. Advancing… NC State 74 – Xavier 59

Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    ryebread
    Participant

Great win last night. I thought we looked the best we had all season. We’re definitely peaking at the right time.

I really liked how we pushed the ball in transition for easy buckets. It is so much easier for us to score in transition with the finishers that we have (Warren and Vandy) and the set up players we have (Lewis and Barber) than it is to score in the half court against a set defense where defenses can double up up Warren and Turner.

I also liked our defense. Yes, we gave up some points inside to the big fella, but the guard match ups that concerned me more all went our way. That was the key to the game. Hats off to Turner and Lee on the defensive end on the guards and the block party put on by Anya, Vandy, Freeman and Washington was just ferocious.

I hope we stay focused against St. Louis. This is the type of game we have been known to lose — when we’re kind of looking ahead and then lay an egg. We’re still the 12 seed and had to play a game just to get the privilege to actually play in the tournament with everyone else.

1.21 Jigawatts
    Keymaster

And Jigs, when you have time to crunch some more numbers, I’d be interested in knowing what our offensive FG%, turnovers, PPG are against top-50 competition. OUr offensive efficiency has skyrocketed late in the year.

Guys I’m serious when I say I’m slammed. These previews take up all my free time, what little I have.

Bill/Whiteshoes, the information you’re looking for can be found here. It’s not KenPom’s numbers but they are close enough and it’s free. Good luck.

GoldenChain
    Participant

What amazes me is Tyler’s play after getting benched earlier in teh season. he is a good boarderline great PG. All he needs is to pick up his scoring. Heck, he even had a bunch of rebounds amongst the trees.
    We have the advantage of having the cobwebs off of us and hopefully we can pick up where we left off last night at 11.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

I also liked our defense. Yes, we gave up some points inside to the big fella, but the guard match ups that concerned me more all went our way. That was the key to the game.

You guys may, or may not, have heard … Coach GOTT said in the postgame…

…He made a conscious decision*** to let Vandy/Anya take the Xavier center -Stainbrook – one on one defensively… with little or no help… to let him get his twenty, and to stop everybody else…

Both Anya and Vandy stepped up their efforts as the game wore on… and
    Stainbrook finished with 19 but only GOTT 7 in the second half…
    That worked this time…

(***this was at during halftime or somewhere near the beginning of the second half… sorry…I don’t remember which time GOTT referenced in his remarks…)

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    ancsu87
    Participant

College basketball success is make up of three parts. Talented players who are taught the fundamentals, emotion and motivation. That is why Jim Valvano was so successful. If you ever saw any of his game specific practices you would have appreciated how underrated he was as an X and O guy. If you ever heard any of his practice closing or locker room speeches you would understand the emotion and motivation keys. So while the stats are nice the game Thur depends more on how Coach Gott keeps the team from believing the “trendy picks” and stay focused on playing their game. If they do that them the stats take care of themselves.

Texpack
    Participant

College basketball success is make up of three parts. Talented players who are taught the fundamentals, emotion and motivation. That is why Jim Valvano was so successful. If you ever saw any of his game specific practices you would have appreciated how underrated he was as an X and O guy. If you ever heard any of his practice closing or locker room speeches you would understand the emotion and motivation keys. So while the stats are nice the game Thur depends more on how Coach Gott keeps the team from believing the “trendy picks” and stay focused on playing their game. If they do that them the stats take care of themselves.

Some of my fondest memories of Reynolds were watching V run practice. I used to really be an X and O guy until clutch, grab, mug, and flop took away too much of the flow of the game. He was way smarter than a lot of people wanted to give him credit for.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Had to DVR the game, and boy was it pretty watching it early this morning. The sum of our parts are catching up to Warren, and that is a good thing. Super game for Lewis, Vandy, Hippo, and Turner. Made Xavier look like a lightweight. I expect us to get by St. Louey, then onto Lville. That will certainly be interesting.

Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.