Sun Bowl vs. ASU

Home Forums StateFans Football Sun Bowl vs. ASU

Tagged: 

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Greywolf
    Participant

Complaints, whines, I ain’t goin’s,

skitchwolf
    Participant

Well, it looks like we were victims of the perfect “s**t-storm” described by Joe Giglio (http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/nc-state/state-now/article186581403.html) due to Notre Dame’s loss to Stanford. I just don’t see anything good about having Notre Dame in the ACC – especially with their football team only sort of “half in”. That deal has no upside for all the other schools in the league. If we beat Notre Dame in football, it doesn’t help our conference standing. If we lose to Notre Dame, we take a beating in the national polls. If Notre Dame comes up short in their almighty “independent” schedule, they end up sucking up a valuable ACC-lined bowl berth and those of us who actually IN the ACC end up getting the leftovers. That’s a bad deal for every school in the league – except ND. And, NO, I won’t even consider flying all the way to Arizona to watch a game against a middle-of-the-league PAC 12 team. If we were playing in Charlotte, Atlanta, Jacksonville, or maybe even Orlando, I might be seriously considering otherwise.

rthomas44
    Participant

Sun bowl is in El Paso,Tx.

skitchwolf
    Participant

OOPS! El Paso – yup! Thanks for the correction ’44! (Guess I got fixated on ASU!)

Texpack
    Participant

El Paso is halfway between Houston and Los Angeles.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Pretty well stinks for the season we had.

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

Well i’d have never guessed Mr. Senior day himself would turn into such a negative nancy. You still reeling about not making the playoffs, grey?

Greywolf
    Participant

Well i’d have never guessed Mr. Senior day himself would turn into such a negative nancy. You still reeling about not making the playoffs, grey?

Whatever…

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

El Paso is a decent destination for a football game, if, and only if, you can figure out how to spend just one night there and the rest of the week in Santa Fe… I promise you’ll see things you’ll never see east of the Mississippi….

Been there, done that… except for the football game itself…

Ya’ll Go for it!

Say hello to A##HAT && Bobby Hurley too…

I’ll be down here at the beach eating oysters and listening to Tony, Gary and Johnny…

GO PACK!

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    TheAliasTroll
    Participant

Ahhh yes the coveted Sun Bowl.. The belle of the ball. The pinnacle of human achievement. A modern day Superbowl, if you will.

But yeah.. there’s not a big difference between a 6 win season and an 8 win season now is there?

At least recruiting appears to be bouncing. Dave’s got a few more years to learn on the job, and hopefully we’ll be setup to have a more talented version of this years team at some point in the future along with a more seasoned coach to legitimately give us a chance at winning some hardware.

BALL’S OUT!

TheCOWDOG

The Sun Bowl is historically more meaningful than 3/4 of the rest. Plus payout that still manages to impress…WTF is y’all bitchin’ ’bout?

Last time I scoped WMC, there was no Sun Bowl trophy there. Add it to the collection.

13OT
    Participant

South Carolina, Michigan, Mississippi State, Louisville, Texas A&M, and NC State were the only Power 5 Conference teams to end up 8-4. Who got the worst bowl deal? Consider the following:

South Carolina and Michigan, both below NCSU in the final ranking, ended up in a New Year’s Day bowl, the Outback in Tampa. Many Wolfpack fans could have and would have made this trip.

Mississippi State and Louisville ended up in the TaxSlayer (Gator) Bowl in Jacksonville. I don’t understand why State, who beat the Cards, didn’t get this one. Even more Wolfpack fans would have made this trip than one to Tampa.

Texas A&M ends up not in Texas but in North Carolina, and conversely NC State ends up not just in Texas, but two time zones away. For those who can’t afford to fly, El Paso would be a hard 2-day drive each way. Why does Wake Forest, a team we finished ahead of in the ACC, and a team we’d at least triple in ticket sales, get to go to Charlotte and we have to go 2,000 miles to the Sun Bowl?

I’m just another season ticket holder who has gone to our bowls in Charlotte and in Florida, but this one is out of reach for me, and it just seems that if our season was as good as many said it was, why couldn’t we have gotten a bowl game somewhere in the Eastern half of the United States?

This one is even worse than Shreveport in my opinion, although many FSU fans might disagree with that.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Well said OT. This is a very disappointing draw any way you cut it.

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

CD, I haven’t come to know you as blowing smoke.. Sun Bowl is one of 41 bowls. That’s a lotta bowls, my man. I mean, I guess it’s better than the Dollar General Bowl, but is it really more “meaningful”? Not in my opinion.

freshmanin83
    Participant

How much money does it pay out compared to other bowls? I looked a bit but could not find any good info. I know it is one of the older bowls.

TheCOWDOG

AT. I only blow smoke when I’m actually in the act of doing a doob or heater.

I seriously respect the history of the Sun Bowl.

The ACC deal with ND, and the lure of Lamar Jackson, clipped us short in Florida.

Sun Bowl pays, and coupled with that…Ain’t got a prefix in front of it after 60 years.

choppack1
    Participant

A) Sun Bowl has been around forever.
    B) I did some research and it’s not unusual for a team finishing 2nd in its division to go to the bowl (since the ACC signed on.)
    3) It is, however, the first time a 6-2 acc team went to this bowl since we signed the deal with them.

4) As cowdog indicates, the perfect storm pushed us here. Further, it got us a bad opponent who just fired it’s coach.

Finally, we have typically gotten a better bowl than we deserved and its our turn to get the short end of the stick.

packman12
    Participant

Bottom line, the bowl in Jacksonville was between us and Louisville. Same overall records, but we finished second in the division and beat them head to head. They chose the Cards due to Lamar Jackson. Did they not consider we put about 50,000 red and white in the stands on our last visit to their city? Maybe Lamar will opt not to play to protect his NFL draft status. Ouch! Of course, who knows if Chubb will even play in El Paso?

redwolf87
    Participant

How coincidental.

My wife and I, earlier in the year, planned a trip in mid-October to Albuquerque for the annual balloon fiesta and a very much recommended Breaking Bad RV tour. The airfare for flights in and out of ABQ were ridiculous (presumably due to the Fiesta) and so we settled on flying in and out of El Paso and driving up. It worked out wonderfully, as the three-hour 85 MPH drive went swimmingly, and ABQ is a great city to get around in. We took in White Sands and Alamogordo on the way back.

The airfares are equally as ridiculous into El Paso around the bowl dates. So I looked at a reverse sort of itinerary. Didn’t help. ABQ is still ridiculously expensive.

So, it looks like we’re going to pass on this one and leave it to the moneybag people. Hate it.

If anyone has the bitcoin to finance this trip, by all means, do it. El Paso gets a bad rap. We thoroughly enjoyed our overnight stay there and I was impressed with the area around the stadium and the city itself. The stadium reminds me a lot of Tempe Stadium, oddly enough.

Which probably doesn’t bode well for us.

PackerInRussia
    Participant

ASU’s current (and lame duck) coach will stay on through bowl game. Herm Edwards to take over afterwards.

Fastback68
    Participant

I think we are forgetting the ASU women in all this. Pics leading up to the bowl please.

Texpack
    Participant

Bottom line, the bowl in Jacksonville was between us and Louisville. Same overall records, but we finished second in the division and beat them head to head. They chose the Cards due to Lamar Jackson. Did they not consider we put about 50,000 red and white in the stands on our last visit to their city? Maybe Lamar will opt not to play to protect his NFL draft status. Ouch! Of course, who knows if Chubb will even play in El Paso?

The hookers in Jacksonville lobbied for Petrino

Pack1997
    Participant

Pitino probably worked out some discount for him and the players.

Greywolf
    Participant

Sample question:

“Why does Wake Forest, a team we finished ahead of in the ACC, and a team we’d at least triple in ticket sales, get to go to Charlotte and we have to go 2,000 miles to the Sun Bowl?”

What we/you deserve makes no difference to bowl selection committees. They are looking for the most attractive match-up they can arrange. Bottom line:Teams go to the bowls where they are invited. There is some selection order or sequence set by whom, I don’t know.

There are some preset deals such as the ACC deal with the Orange Bowl and some gentlemen’s agreements or so I hear. Other than those deals there are no “rights” to bowls. In the context of bowl match-ups your/our conference record matters not. Many years ago ticket sales were important considerations. Not so much with the TV money coming in. I’m sure there are opinions out there about this aspect of bowl selection.

Bowl selection is somewhat like the NFL or NHL draft. Bowls know pretty much the pool of teams available before they make their selection but they make it when their time comes up. We can speculate on why the Bowl A didn’t invite us but we can be sure that in the opinion of the selection committee it was the best possible match-up for the bowl.

The only thing we can be sure of is our opinion doesn’t matter nor apparently does our lobbying the ACC office.

BassPacker
    Participant

<“Many years ago ticket sales were important considerations. Not so much with the TV money coming in.” >

^That’s dead on. In fact some bowls end up giving away tickets to area charities just to fill seats, aka the Independence Bowl and Boise Potatoe Bowl. Thinking that us playing in Charlotte earlier had a lot to do with us not getting invited back. And who knows, the team may have chose El Paso instead of Charlotte, it would be more exciting to fly/play in Texas than a bus ride to Charlotte. We as fans see it as how far and time/cost wise it is for us to go, the team sees it as an all expense paid destination. El Paso probably won hands down with 19-21 yrs old players.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.