Summer doldrums, shooting the sh1t

Home Forums StateFans Non Sports Talk Summer doldrums, shooting the sh1t

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 295 total)
  • Author
    TheCOWDOG

Stick…I have no experience with that smoker,but it looks to function the same as my old Brinkman. Water based smoking is my chosen method.

Can’t see how you could miss with it.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Mr. Stick….
    Get the Weber if you want your friends and neighbors to think you are a cheapskate…

Otherwise… a man of your stature and reputation should invest in nothing less than
    “The Big Green Egg”…

For the CPA in you… you can easily justify this as I promise …
    ‘The Big Green Egg will pay for itself in the savings on real charcoal when used often and correctly’.

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    highstick
    Participant

Bill, grills are like guns with me…I’ve got 6 grills already…

The Weber grill looked to be more substantial that the Brinkman and thought it might hold the heat a little better. I had a Brinkman for a long time and smoked a ton of spanish mackeral, venison, and turkeys on it.

Where’s the rest of your egg? Under the table???

Someone sent me a posting on Facebook the other day about an accident with the BGE and he almost cut his finger off…not sure if it was design issue with the egg or just an idiot using it…

"Whomp 'em, Up, Side the Head"!

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

… Yes…The Egg will hurt you if you don’t know what you’re doing…

#1 Rookie mistake:

When you’re Pittsburg-ing steaks at about 800*F…
    and you don’t open the vents before you open the top…

It goes POOOOFFFFF!! and the hair on your forearms disappears instantly leaving a a pungent aroma….

Not good.

Dropping the top on your finger would hurt too…

TheCOWDOG

Dude. One of the grandest natures in smoking is that ya don’t have to pay attention to what yer doin’ once ya got it set up.

POP

highstick
    Participant

Sounds like a piece of equipment I need to steer clear of…..this coming from someone who stepped into an hibachi in the dark at Kerr Lake in a pair of flip flops! Did I ever have a blister the next day!

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Duh… nobody smokes @ 800*F…

Try 160*-180*F for that… for about 10 -12 hrs on 1/3 bag of charcoal…

pakfanistan
    Participant

Duh… nobody smokes @ 800*F…

Try 160*-180*F for that… for about 10 -12 hrs on 1/3 bag of charcoal…

Stop. I don’t have the money to spend on a $800 grill right now :/

freshmanin83
    Participant

Yeah I am just going to take a shot in the dark and think that the weather has been changing since the world has been around.

Like Mr. Tuffy, maybe his demeanor will rub off on the team when they play D.

I am curious what is the point of a raised garden?

Beach bum on the forgotten coast, at least when I can.

pakfanistan
    Participant

Yeah I am just going to take a shot in the dark and think that the weather has been changing since the world has been around.

You realize that no one says the weather has been constant right? The concern is that current trends are not part of the natural cycles that we have identified. It’s not sunspots or solar output, it’s not axial tilt, it’s not volcanos or cows.

I asked this earlier, and I’m genuinely interested. What piece of evidence is missing that would convince you that anthropic climate change is real?

redcanine
    Participant

I’m a simple man. I care more about power and electricity than I care about endangered penguin and atypical bird migration patterns.

Convince me why I should change my hierarchy of needs.

Convince me what it’s gonna take to stabilize or reverse the trend. If it involves a major change in my life, I’m not on board.

If it takes another 200 years to come up with a solution, fine by me.

pakfanistan
    Participant

I’m a simple man. I care more about power and electricity than I care about endangered penguin and atypical bird migration patterns.

Convince me why I should change my hierarchy of needs.

Convince me what it’s gonna take to stabilize or reverse the trend. If it involves a major change in my life, I’m not on board.

If it takes another 200 years to come up with a solution, fine by me.

That’s all fine, I want to know what it would take to convince you? What piece of evidence is missing?

highstick
    Participant

Like Mr. Tuffy, maybe his demeanor will rub off on the team when they play D.

I am curious what is the point of a raised garden?

Beach bum on the forgotten coast, at least when I can.

Crappy soil with too much clay in response to the raised beds.

redcanine
    Participant

That’s all fine, I want to know what it would take to convince you? What piece of evidence is missing?

I’m past the evidence thing. I’m convinced that that global warming is a real thing (for the purpose of this exam). What shall you have me do now? Agree to pay $9/gallon? Screw the environment!

Most folks want to disprove global warming because they have economic incentive to do so. Any solution to this global warming issue will be expensive. That’s why you keep running into a brick wall.

pakfanistan
    Participant

I’m past the evidence thing. I’m convinced that that global warming is a real thing (for the purpose of this exam). What shall you have me do now? Agree to pay $9/gallon? Screw the environment!

Most folks want to disprove global warming because they have economic incentive to do so. Any solution to this global warming issue will be expensive. That’s why you keep running into a brick wall.

Thanks for the response, let’s start another thread for the discussion.

Wufpacker
    Participant

I think bill’s 800* Fahrenheit green-eggs-and-ham steak nights might be a contributing factor.

And why the hell does the standard keyboard not have an easily accessed ‘degrees symbol’, leaving us to the very unsatisfactory subbing in of an asterisk?

pakfanistan
    Participant

If he’s using lump charcoal, and not actual coal, it should be carbon neutral.

packplantpath
    Participant

Hot dang.

This website is still up and running and folks are talking about bbq and gardens? Crap, I might have to stop by more often!

Rule #1 on raised beds. Invest some cash (<$50-75) in a automatic water timer, some 1/2″ base line, a few couplers, spaghetti tubing, and some 3 gallon per hour drip nozzles. I hook mine up with a water hose and a backflow preventer since I’m far too lazy to bury water lines. Just unhook and coil the hose once a month when my wife makes me mow grass or I can’t find the garden.

Mine waters every day at 6 & 6 for 30 minutes do everything gets 3 gallons of water per day. Fits my lazy butt perfect. Never gonna regret it.

packplantpath
    Participant

I’ve not had a big green egg, but a few years ago I picked up a knockoff made in Georgia on craiglist (guy though it was broken) for $50. Ceramic smokers are worth every bit of the exorbitant price. Drink as much beer as you like. Ignore it and it just chugs along at 225-250 for hours. Coming from the R2D2 brinkman, it makes it almost too easy. I have to keep the old offset stick burner around to make me feel better. But haven’t used it in 5 years…..

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

RealGreenEggers ONLY use 100% Natural Lump Charcoal and real wood soaked in water….

I can tell very few of ya’ll ever had a steak “Pittsburged”…
    It originates as a steel mill lunchtime tradition… I’m told.

As stated… BGE pays for itself in just a couple of years if used enough…

Raised beds are all about Art — creating architecture on flat land and drainage….

And in case you’re interested… it’s hot and humid down here at the beach today…

packplantpath
    Participant

RealGreenEggers ONLY use 100% Natural Lump Charcoal and real wood soaked in water….

I’m with you on the lump, but find soaking the wood a waste of time. It just makes it steam for about 30-45 minutes before it starts burning. Seems a waste of time to me. I’ve done it both ways and can’t tell a difference in taste, so cutting out a step makes me happy.

Good clean smoke taste is all about airflow. Either you got it right, or you don’t.

packplantpath
    Participant

BTW, to add to the storm, I’d go to SCNB as soon as parkers! You all need to head out to Grady’s in Sleepy Creek just about dead between wilburs bbq and Mt. Olive. . THAT is good.

pakfanistan
    Participant

Where are you guys getting the lump charcoal? The stuff I picked up last time is tree branches and tiny bits. Super irritating.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

I’ve done it both ways and can’t tell a difference in taste, so cutting out a step makes me happy.

RE: Slow cooking and smoking….

3P — I’ve done it both ways too with wet and dry wood chips… I can’t tell the difference either… But we don’t want these rookies taking shortcuts…. let ’em do things right…

Now… my ‘understanding’ is that “smoke” works like this…
    It’s gonna penetrate your meat about 3/8″ and that’s all… takes 3-4 hours to do that on a regular size butt… After that… smoke don’t matter.

Bottom line here, I think, is the amount of smoke flavor in your meat is proportional to the surface area of your cut, not how long you smoke….

The taste of your Q depends on the ratio of outside meat to inside meat and the cut… shoulders will always taste better than hams… and the amount of crispy fat/skin you add when you chop and mix your Q.

The bigger the cut… the easier it is to get your secret formula right….

There are, however, more compelling reasons to go the distance 10 – 12 hours… as that’s the secret of the tenderizing effects of fat percolating through out the cut… at 160* to 180*

I want mine falling apart and moist…

———–

For those who insist on “cooking with gas”… go ahead… you deserve what you get and if you said ‘you can’t tell the difference’… you ain’t ate any of mine, yet.

Pack78
    Participant

PPP-Helped the kid move to Goldsboro a couple of weeks ago and had lunch at Wilbur’s-really good, but I am hearing very good things about Grady’s as well-it’s on the list for the next visit…

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 295 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.