Summer doldrums, shooting the sh1t

Home Forums StateFans Non Sports Talk Summer doldrums, shooting the sh1t

Viewing 25 posts - 226 through 250 (of 295 total)
  • Author
    highstick
    Participant

If you ever chase the life cycle of corn through a cow, pig, chicken, etc…you’ll understand it does not digest very well..I didn’t learn that at State though and certainly not in the School of Engineering..

"Whomp 'em, Up, Side the Head"!

packplantpath
    Participant

dammit! tell me the humidity in you guys f#$!ing houses

I’d be happy to. But I don’t have a hygrometer at home. I’d guess in the 40% range.

It is comfortable thought! Not that it helps you any to hear that!

Is the AC blowing cold air out of the vents? About a 20 degree differential from the return to the vents? If so, sounds like the AC isn’t the culprit. A leak is possible in a water pipe. Or, you might have bad duct work somewhere. Any gas appliances that could be venting improperly?

One other possibility is the new AC was improperly sized for the space. Too big and it will not cycle on for long enough meaning the air will cool but not dehumidify sufficiently because it only runs for a few minutes at a time.

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

Thanks, ppp. We got 2.5 ton for around 1500sq/ft which I’ve read is the right size. The return is 73 degrees and I’m getting about 60 degrees blowing from the vents, so only 13 degree differential. Maybe that’s the problem.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

^AT …. since you asked…

… the humidity inside the house down here at the beach is the same as it is outside the house…
    ’cause I GOTT the windows and doors wide open !

Air conditioning is not healthly… just ask any HVAC contractor or if you don’t know one well enough to get the truth… just ask yourself why all the HVAC manufacturers started putting major filter systems on their units about ten years ago.

I’m pretty sure that it didn’t have anything to do with avoiding or mitigating the potential billion dollars damages of a ‘asbestos’ type class action lawsuit. (wink)

Besides… when you work outside and sleep inside with the AC… you feel terrible and it makes hot…. even HOTTER!

I’m not working outside like I used these days… but old habits are hard to break.

Now my HVAC buddy agrees with all of this… and I’m pretty sure that if you’re in a recently built house… the first thing he would do is ‘crack some windows open’ ’cause new houses are built too tight and you’re recirculating too much old air for the system to run correctly.

If not your case, it won’t cost you a dime to try that anyway and see if it makes a difference…

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    TheCOWDOG

Troll. Is your return floor, or is it ceiling?

Wufpacker
    Participant

there ought to be an imaginary line among gentlemen that only gets crossed occasionally… regarding posting personal medical conditions about oneself…

What about those of other people?

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

^ the keywords here are “crossed occasionally”…

unless you’re talking about HOUSE.MD…

highstick
    Participant

My house is very comfortable right now…cause my wife’s not home messin’ with the A/C!

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

The nice thing of being stressed the f-ck out and having migraine tendencies AND a stomach that can’t handle anything good anymore…I’m down 25 pounds this year and 10 away from my college weight.

Oatmeal, v8 fruit/veggie blend, saltines, wheat toast with spreadable fruit, boiled chicken a few times a week for protein. Oh yeah, you must be so jelly.

Sorry to hear that. I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes in May. Shifted to low carb diet in the hopes of coming off medicine (metformin). I’ve lost 30 pounds so far with no exercise (with alot more than 10 to go to get back to college weight). For the most part, low carb is a matter of shifting, rather than giving up stuff:
    – No wheat, but still have pancakes, waffles, and gravy/biscuits (more like muffins).
    – No potatoes, but still have garlic mashed and twice-baked (cauliflower). (“Tater” Tots, french fries, and hash brown substitutes remain untested.)
    – No sugar, but still have desert (Bought ice cream maker and been making it all summer).
    – Eating out is now more trouble than it is worth….which hasn’t made momma too happy.

But it could be worse…I have a friend that is allergic to beef, pork, lamb, venison…all from a tick bite.
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/02/140220102727.htm
    (May wear off over time. He’ll be retested this fall, which would be two years from initial diagnosis.)

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

Cowdog, the vents and returns are in the ceiling. Coils in the attic along with duct work.. the duct work in the attic working against me but that’s something the installers should have accounted for IMO.

Bill, I actually like your idea of sweating it out and getting adjusted to the heat, but the wife would slap me then divorce me if I don’t run an AC.

Red Baron
    Participant

Cowdog, Troll, ya’ll are speaking blasphemy. My wife pointed out to me in the “Queen Deb” version of the Old Testament, Genesis 2 verse 2 that says “And on the seventh day God created AC then ended his work which he had made; and he cooled it on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.” Must be true its in the Bible.

BJD95
    Keymaster

VA – sorry to hear that, but good on you for being all proactive and shit.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

VA-wuf… at least you’re good on VaMountainApples and maybe Clover & Sourwood honey ( theere used to a great roadside stand off Hwy29 near Soapville and another on Hwy8 near Stuart for that)… idk.. Sorry about the rest of your diet….

All you guys with ‘stomach problems’ need to all you can to toughen up a bit before Football season starts… I’m thinking that won’t help your conditions any at all…

^AT — the honest truth is you sweat LESS… or less noticeably…

And for you younger wolves who hadn’t figured out the logic of why after “a certain point in time”… it makes perfect sense for you to have ‘your room (with the windows open ) and her rooms (with the AC running )… that day will come.

pakfanistan
    Participant

All you guys with ‘stomach problems’ need to all you can to toughen up a bit before Football season starts… I’m thinking that won’t help your conditions any at all…

This is based on nothing, but I can’t shake the feeling this is going to be a fun year.

Hope springs eternal I guess.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

^paky… fwiw… my comment was meant to be entirely neutral and encouraging…

Ballgames and seasons – good and bad, fun and tedious… ALL tend to create a certain amount of ‘stomach stress’ on the most healthy of us… unfortunately that fact falls more heavily on those with nervous or weak digestive systems.

BJD95
    Keymaster

I also have the precursor of capral tarsal syndrome in both feet, which I will get fixed in Sept and Nov. Gee, young people, doesn’t getting old sound like FUN??? On the plus side, that means I will have enough opioids to get me through another shitburger of a Wolfpack football season.

I have really high arches, and that’s the precursor of all those trouble there. Fortunately, my ex-wife has the flattest feet possible, and the kids ended up with perfectly average feet!

BJD95
    Keymaster

And honestly…I don’t get that worked up anymore. Particularly in a season like this one where I have absolutely no expectations. Only coach firing season really gets my blood up. And unless we go 0-for-ACC again, I can’t see that even entering my mind. Season 3 should show us signs of progress, and we should at least be pretty good by season 4.

I honestly haven’t cried over a sporting event since Elway won his first Super Bowl. Now, I do sob like an infant every time I watch “Survive and Advance.” I’m not made of stone.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

VA-wuf… at least you’re good on VaMountainApples and maybe Clover & Sourwood honey ( theere used to a great roadside stand off Hwy29 near Soapville and another on Hwy8 near Stuart for that)… idk.. Sorry about the rest of your diet….

I’ve given up fruit and honey for now. Once weight and blood sugar stabilizes, then I’ll see where I’m at. But where in the heck is Soapville? I’ve driven on Hwy29 from Danville to I-66 and never seen it. (Stuart is one of those places that you will never end up in accidentally…it takes real effort to get there.)

MrPlywood
    Participant

Here in Victoria, BC – the Bermuda of Canada – I don’t know anyone who has AC. We just keep the windows open and let that cool sea breeze flow through. 🙂

It was a sweltering 75 degrees yesterday though, we barely made it through the day.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

^^OK Wuf… I GOTT Saltville and Soapstone crossed up….

Soapstone in Virginia is HERE…

… but the quarries are just up the road from you as I recall…
    Hwy29 North — Right on Hwy 20… and I found the best honey ever there on Hwy20..

MrPlywood
    Participant

and I found the best honey ever there on Hwy20

So… details! What was she like?

redcanine
    Participant

Take care of those feet. Fallen arches ain’t no joke. I used to sport loafers 7 days a week, sometimes without socks, ’cause I was cool like that. Suddenly one morning I had crawl to the bathroom, just couldn’t stand up even if my life depended on it. Cortisone shots suck! Do podiatrists aim for the bones? Been lacing everything up ever since. You can’t be gelling like Magellan in topsiders; they don’t fit.

I could use some opiates during football season too. May have to get a tooth pulled or something.

MrPlywood
    Participant

Two years ago I had two stress fractures in my right foot. I play(ed) ball just about year round, with the summer games outdoors on blacktop which surely helped push my tired feet over the edge. I had a bone scan to diagnose, the results of which showed an old, poorly healed avulsion fracture too. I fought the power, then finally broke down and wore the aircast walking boot for 8 weeks. That did the trick.

I also have some bone/arch issues which resulted in my toes giving the Vulcan salute, sometimes the space would be between my second and third toes, sometimes between my third and fourth. Pretty funny looking actually. Luckily one of the guys I play ball with makes orthotics, so he hooked me up with a custom set. He also gave me the aircast, after telling me in no uncertain terms that stress fractures are broken bones. I then passed the cast on to the next guy who needed it 🙂

I currently have a severely sprained ankle which is going on the fourth week. I did that cage-fighting.

highstick
    Participant

Here in Victoria, BC – the Bermuda of Canada – I don’t know anyone who has AC. We just keep the windows open and let that cool sea breeze flow through. :)

It was a sweltering 75 degrees yesterday though, we barely made it through the day.

You’re really pissing me off!!! Was there in June of 2013, spent the night in the James Bay Inn, visited the Bouchard Gardens, drank a lot of good beer, and whiffed some “really good stuff” coming out of a van walking down the street! I asked my wife “if she smelled that” and she said ‘what”~!!! She’s forgotten the good times of our youth~!

highstick
    Participant

Hee Hee, you guys are finally finding out about “the elderly”…But remember, it’s all in your body, not in your mind…

Bill, it was really good to edjekate you on the “bad side of corn”…Get an attack of the diverticulitis and it’ll bring you to your knees. Mine was mild and I cannot imagine a bad case of it…I blame it on Texas food~~~

Viewing 25 posts - 226 through 250 (of 295 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.