State’s Season Ends in Sweet 16

Home Forums All StateFansNation State’s Season Ends in Sweet 16

Viewing 21 posts - 51 through 71 (of 71 total)
  • Author
    13OT
    Participant

The no-call involving Barber WAS a bad one. The replays showed that his foot did NOT slip or slide- he was knocked on his butt but no call. These are two programs, like Duke, who have big-name coaches and play a rough, physical brand of defense, and they usually get away with murder. State, at times, does play good D and I saw a lot of good stretches of it last night compared to the season as a whole, but we still lack consistency in that area. That’s what it’s going to take to get us to the next level.

No offense to PackFanInLA, but I simply cannot pull for a Chicago-area school that considers itself an ACC basketball school but not an ACC football school, plus sees itself as an elite university (down their nose at the rest of us). I would pull for Louisville in a ND-Cards game, except that Rick Patino is one ego I cannot stomach.

Yes, last night was an opportunity that won’t come along often. Who knows what’ll happen next season?

Me? I’m going digging for old coins with my metal detector while these games go on this afternoon and tomorrow afternoon. And even collecting stamps would be better than watching the likes of Calipari, Patino, Duke and the CBS suits who praise themselves and bestow all their knowledge on us yokels.

Time for the Orioles and Nationals.

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

We should be a better team next year. However there are going to be A LOT of ACC teams that you will see improve next year as well. That said I do not expect an easy lunch ticket to the NCAA tourney next year having to play in the obviously best conference in the nation that is only going to get tougher.

In other words I’m not ready to put us into the dance automatically next year. So just brace yourselves.

PackFanInLA
    Participant

No offense to PackFanInLA, but I simply cannot pull for a Chicago-area school that considers itself an ACC basketball school but not an ACC football school, plus sees itself as an elite university (down their nose at the rest of us).

I certainly understand not rooting for ND in football. But their basketball team is a group of hard-working kids. They don’t get the favoritism that the football program gets in any regard. In terms of the elitism, I think your description fits Duke and UNC better than ND (which is mostly comprised of midwestern folks from good families). But, at ND there is that small element of students and alumni that are like the “my daddy is an investment banker, and I almost got into Harvard” — much like that same set of kids at Duke. Those are the most pretentious kind.

That being said, the faculty at both ND and Duke would readily admit that our engineering school crushes theirs.

What irks me is how elite schools are defined — how many investment bankers and McKinsey consultants poop out of these places and charge high fees (Duke, ND), then the second tier elites are somehow great for pumping out dentists and pretentious lawyers (UNC, UVA). But of course these schools are mainly just over-charging rich mommies and daddies to churn out entitled kids with meaningless undergraduate majors.

The best school in the ACC is probably Georgia Tech, but they get no props. State neither. It’s bizarre.

BJD95
    Keymaster

ND football = Duke basketball

I can’t quite be quite as neutral/favorable towards ND basketball as I can Duke football (damn those youth migraine memories of Kelly Tripucka screwing the Pack over), but the analogy is there to be made.

BJD95
    Keymaster

FWIW, I shut down the comments in the other thread. Not f-cking productive.

Wulfpack
    Participant

I just find Mike Brey to be highly likeable. His kids play hard for him. And they seem to be really good kids. He has really built something there. I don’t expect them to beat UK, but they will challenge.

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

Notre Dame going to beat Kentucky tonight. Mark it, dude.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Notre Dame going to beat Kentucky tonight. Mark it, dude.

I sure hope so. I am getting sick and tired about hearing about UK being unbeatable. Please. They were almost beat several times by marginal teams playing in a junk conference. Somehow everyone wants to ignore it.

graywolf
    Participant

“So Cat was throwing up before the game. Tough luck getting a virus on the biggest night for him. That would explain a lot. Gutty performance nonetheless.”

Maybe he gave the virus to Rozier.

On a positive note…Great season with a lot to build on for next year.

SeaWolf72
    Participant

We have about 7 months to brag a little about this team. And if I recall when that game started last night we were one of twelve left. So, making it to the Terrific Twelve is my story…. If the boys stick together they will be better next year. If any of them have a summer like buckets did between his freshman and soph. year they may be impressive. I think Abu and the Martins are athletic enough to pull that off. Cats already turned the corner. Go Pack..

Tau837
    Participant

there are going to be A LOT of ACC teams that you will see improve next year as well

Teams that finished ahead of us this year:

– UVA – Only lose Atkins. Should start a JR and 4 SRs next season. May be better.
    – Duke – Lose Okafor, Winslow, and Cook. No doubt will bring in good recruits but not that good. Should take a step back.
    – Notre Dame – Lose Grant and Connaughton. Big step back.
    – Louisville – Lose Blackshear and presumably Harrell. Only returning player who scored more than 4.1 ppg is Rozier. Young team. Should take a step back.
    – UNC – Should lose no one who matters. Probably will add good recruits. Should be better.

That illustrates opportunity for State and possibly other programs to move up. State loses Turner and Lee but gains Henderson, and should move up.

I predict the top 4 next season will be UVA, Duke, UNC, and State, not necessarily in that order.

redisgood
    Participant

Tau, I agree with everything you said except Virginia will probably lose Anderson as well, and that will be a pretty big loss.

Tau837
    Participant

I agree if Virginia loses Anderson they should take a step back. I should have also noted that there are still quite a few highly ranked recruits who could change things based on where they end up.

Fastback68
    Participant

Has anyone seen the science of jousting? If you hit your opponent on the shoulder, there is no way he is staying on his horse. Pure Physics. I wish someone would tune Vern Lundquist up like they did Cat. Torque his spine so he collapses on the floor and just say “What’s wrong Vern, Old Buddy, did you slip?” Not blaming the refs, just pointing out there were all kinds of things wrong with that game.

Cat have fun with your daughter in the off season but please come back ready to play at 100mph the first game. Love this team. It’s time to raise the level of success several notches.

Wulfpack
    Participant

If UVa lost Anderson, that would certainly hurt. But the Cavs aren’t going anywhere. It’s now a system program, plug and play. They are going to be good for a long while.

GoPack83
    Participant

I know the post above was only looking at the teams that finished above us but expect FSU to take a step forward as well. XRM coming back along with most of the team and bringing in two top ten guards this recruiting class along with another 7’0″. Could be the makings of a team poised to challenge the ACC elite next year.

redisgood
    Participant

I listened to Lacey’s answer when asked about next year. I’m convinced now he is definitely coming back. He finished by saying “no surprises” and it seemed to me he was saying coach and him had discussed it before the season, and that was that.

Joe Giglio also said of all the players who potentially could leave, he felt safest about Trevor coming back. He’s usually pretty spot on when it comes to the guys on the team.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

I’m interested to see where the Pack lands in the final Top 25 rankings…

15 +/-2 seems to me to be a “fair” number…idk…

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    Wulfpack
    Participant

Is there such a thing?

MrPlywood
    Participant

The USA Today Coaches Poll comes out after the tourney. I bet that State gets some votes but doesn’t make the top 25.

Last years poll: http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/rankings/_/year/2014/week/4/seasontype/3

Wulfpack
    Participant

Ok.

As an 8 we were in the 32-35 range. Made some noise but probably not enough. Agree we’ll get some votes.

Viewing 21 posts - 51 through 71 (of 71 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.