State’s Season Ends in Sweet 16

Home Forums All StateFansNation State’s Season Ends in Sweet 16

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 71 total)
  • Author
    StateFans
    Keymaster

State just didn’t have it tonight. The Pack made a few runs, but never found any rhythm against the Louisville zone, shooting only 38% from the field.
    [See the full post at: State’s Season Ends in Sweet 16]

WTNY
    Participant

Proud of the Pack. At the beginning of the year I had no idea we would make the Sweet 16.

Thank you Turner and Lee.

Looking forward to next year.

theTHRILL
    Participant

It was right there and we blew it. I refuse to get excited about next season. Heard it too many times man. Too many times.

PackFamily
    Participant

Gottfried saying Cat has a virus. That would explain his off night.

PackofMac
    Participant

Hot shooting yes, explain zero effort to begin. As soon as you see our guards dribbling around the 3 point line, not looking to do, well anything immediately call and place a bet against us. Reply what you will, as unpredictable as we are…..we are so go* dam* predictable. It was fun to be excited, continues to suck ass to be disappointed.

choppack1
    Participant

Now comes the “fingers crossed part of the season.” Hopefully all hands return on deck.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Great season. Many tangible reasons to be optimisitc about the future. Just got beat tonight and you tip your cap to Pitino and his crew.

inhoc…
    Participant

I knew it was over when Cat got shoved to the ground down 5 and Rozier got the and 1 at the other end. The game was too physical for us to win

THIS x 1000

That’s definitely why Cat stopped driving the lane. 3 times he drove in the first half and ended up going down hard after an errant shot.

The most telling possession for me was when Anya (extremely tough guy down low) was gangbanged by 3 defenders, couldn’t even go up with a shot, ends up turning the ball over that ends up a 3 point play on the other end(looked on the floor foul to me)

I’ll qualify this with admitting to be the most critical of those who blame the refs for a loss so don’t take it that way. I felt like the team hung in pretty tough in a hard fought game, and Gott made some good personnel adjustments to keep the game close. Ultimately I feel like a couple no-calls and lucky shots falling down for Lou late made the difference.

Would have expected to see a little more comments on the refs but maybe I just saw it wrong.

Earlier in the year, especially after some WTF losses that I definitely thought were solely on the team and Gott were highlighted as the refs robbing the pack. Honestly, and thanks to the elevated play in Cat, I think the staff and players did fairly well down the stretch of the season and you could see situations where the team was on the other end of some calls that I’d chick up to “creating luck for yourself”.

MrPlywood
    Participant

Would have expected to see a little more comments on the refs but maybe I just saw it wrong.

They were there, but you probably couldn’t hear them over Vern yelling “Wow!” and “Oh no! Oh no!”

redisgood
    Participant

So Cat was throwing up before the game. Tough luck getting a virus on the biggest night for him. That would explain a lot. Gutty performance nonetheless.

Heelh8r
    Participant

Season’s over, but I have another nomination for nickname for Lacey.

We like abbreviations, right? So it’s BB…for Buzzer Beater.

He did it every single time he had the opportunity, with the exception of the Wofford game where he made the shot but .1 second too late. He even did it in the LSU game by finding KH in the lane for the left handed hooker.

BB Lacey.

xphoenix87

I’m extremely proud of this team and the way they fought and improved throughout the season. They didn’t play poorly in this game and we didn’t get blown out, Louisville just had a little more in the tank. I’m excited by the growth of the young guys and by the potential we’ve got to be something really special next season

But man I wanted this one. It was there for the taking, and it slipped out of our fingers. I wanted so badly to shut up all the national media and make everybody sit up and take notice. It was all right there…and it just wasn’t to be.

inhoc…
    Participant

They were there, but you probably couldn’t hear them over Vern yelling “Wow!” and “Oh no! Oh no!”

You’re absolutely right, and to be fair, though, through out the tournament I saw state on the other side of some of those calls which was nice to see. However they were not call in multiples of at the end of the game.

As bad as it sounds I initially was relieved when rosier finally went down and was hurt. Caught up in the competitiveness I guess, but I felt like that was what he had coming for all the fouling and no calls preceding.

We’re all guilty of thoughts like that sometimes I guess. Some more honest about it than others.

triadwolf
    Participant

Proud of the guys hands down. I thought there were some awful calls to start the second half that went against us/for them; they came at a time we could have extended a lead and maybe taken control (the call against Lacey after he was mugged really irked me; and then the no call with Barber down the lane).

That being said we never seemed to be in sync on offense; with a few exceptions the ball didn’t really go into the post and ball movement was lacking. Despite that we were in there until about the 5 min mark after which I thought our shot selection really was poor for the rest of the game.

Would’ve liked to see Barber at his best, but that’s how it goes. I’m sure L’ville’s defense had something to do with it, but I would’ve like to see us go inside a lot more than we did – even if we kicked it back out. I don’t feel like we really made them work down low on defense.

Oh well, it was a good season and hopefully this motivates everyone to work a little harder this off-season. Our potential for more success next year should help deter any potential defections.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Louisville plays a physical brand of basketball. That’s nothing new. We knew it going in – no secrets. Calls or not, you have to return the favor. We were just a little soft on D and the boards and it hurt us just a bit, in a tight game a possession or two is all the difference. They were the more physical team.

PackFanInLA
    Participant

Lets root for ND from here on out. I am biased, I have degrees from both schools, but as much as I used to hate ND before I went there, I eventually realized that they care about young kids and fair competition.

Like it or not, when we had some [very small] issues, we cleaned up shop. Notre Dame isn’t perfect, but they respect competition, and would never institutionally cheat. (I do believe this. I also don’t think NC State would ever cheat like UNC).

UNC is the neighbor that drives a BMW and brags about his fancy vacations when you know he is cheating on his taxes and lying to his customers. ND is nothing like that.

We should be proud of our team. We competed. Even if we went up to Kentucky today, we wouldn’t have crapped our pants and laid down. We won many tough games when everything was on the line (starting at our game @LOU).

inhoc…
    Participant

I’m sure L’ville’s defense had something to do with it

It definitely did. And they were extremely good defensively.

but I would’ve like to see us go inside a lot more than we did – even if we kicked it back out. I don’t feel like we really made them work down low on defense.

After repeated attempts of our guys going inside, they ended up in turnovers and errant shots. I guess the gray area is if it was CLEAN D.

Abu even drew some fouls early which I thought was going to be a theme throughout the game, and then was cracking up seeing how many fouls stat had compared to LOU

Whiteshoes67
    Participant

I didn’t look at the line but Cat not 100% made us a dog in this one. Needed him with his A game.

Whiteshoes67
    Participant

I had krugers sooners coming out of this bracket anyway. He was my #2 behind Marshall last coaching search.

choppack1
    Participant

Louisville wom most of the 50/50 balls. That’s an indicator of who is the aggressor. They clearly outplayed us tonight. I thought the play where cat went down was a bad call, but I am biased.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Lets root for ND from here on out.

I’m wih ya. May be a short bandwagon, though with UK on the docket tomorrow. They will challenge but it is going to be tough.

Whiteshoes67
    Participant

I think next year will say a lot about gott and co. Should be very little player turnover. Barring injuries, the pieces will be in place.

BJD95
    Keymaster

BJD95
    Keymaster

Rick
    Keymaster

I doubt we ever see an easier opportunity to get into the final four. If we cannot make the jump now I cannot imagine we will in the future.
    Alas this is what state does.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 71 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.