#STATEment: 3-0 Wolfpack cruises 49-17

Home Forums All StateFansNation #STATEment: 3-0 Wolfpack cruises 49-17

Viewing 21 posts - 26 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    PackFamily
    Participant

The replay shows Burris slipping/stumbling and losing a stride against the WR. That doesn’t mean he wouldn’t have gotten beat if he hadn’t stumbled. The assumption frequently seems to be perfection if not for an error.

inhoc…
    Participant

Replay as in a replay of the entire game? Not on the watchespn app

Texpack
    Participant

CBS Sports Net had the game so any replay on the internets would probably be on the CBS Sports web site. A search of DirecTV doesn’t show any replays scheduled during the week so far. As one sided as the game was, I’d be shocked if it was rebroadcast.

choppack1
    Participant

Well played. Cow all along I have been looking for tangible sign that we were heading in the right direction. I see last night’s game as a huge sign that we are. I am excited about wolfpack football again.

What I like most about a game like this is that it hopefully it will have the effect of getting our players (and more importantly future recruits) to totally buy into the system and staff. And I think the Carter will be rocking because of this game.

TheCOWDOG

I’m more than fairly certain that CF will be rockin’ when FSU comes to town.

Even though most everyone will be sitting on their hands, Chops.

I would be too, if I could ever manage to sit.

tjfoose1
    Participant

It’s hard to imagine USF being that bad, but I guess we will see.

They appeared to be Saturday, unfortunately. Defense is still a WIP. Loved what I saw, but I don’t know… I’m taking very little from Saturday.

But that could be just me, as I wasn’t watching too closely with a critical eye Saturday.

choppack1
    Participant

I would rather our opponent not be the best team in the country…but I am glad there will be excitement again with wolfpack football.

2-6 and 4-0 against this schedule – depending on how you lose the 6 and win the 2 would be a step in the right direction. After seeing what I saw last night I would hope that we are a much more attractive option in a lot of recruits eyes.

I enjoyed Canada’s play calling. And brissett shows signs of being a “good” nc state qb and that means more here than arguably any school in the country.

tjfoose1
    Participant

But no matter how bad that USF team was, many past NC State teams would have found a way to lower themselves to the competition.

I really liked how ticked off DD was going into the half up 35-7. Bodes well.

Greywolf
    Participant

One of the many things I like about this win and this team is who do you key on? We shut Marlon Mack and the FSU run game was shut down. Shutting down one of our runners is like playing Whack-a-mole. Knock one down and another pups up. Same with receivers.

One thing I found interesting, primarily because I didn’t understand the reasoning behind it, was the OLine was pretty much the first unit throughout. Did the O coaches want to see what Nichols and others could do behind the 1st unit or was it something else? I’m not going to exercise my opinion making machine, I’ll just let Mr. Canada run this offense. But I am curious.

choppack1
    Participant

Tj – I agree. I did like how he wasn’t happy @ the half.

TeufelWolf
    Participant

“many past NC State teams would have found a way to lower themselves to the competition.”

Nailed it!

pakfanistan
    Participant

“many past NC State teams would have found a way to lower themselves to the competition.”

Nailed it!

Which year was it we either barely lost, or squeaked out a win against a Maryland team playing with a converted linebacker at QB?

tjfoose1
    Participant

^ That game has been repressed and no longer available for memory recall. Unfortunately, I was unsuccessful at doing the same for the game in which u*nc beat us with a backup WR playing QB in one of the Charlotte games.

ryebread
    Participant

I guess I watched a much different game than most people. We were ~ 3 pt favorites. I thought we’d win by about 4 if both teams played well. The only scenario that I envisioned more than a 14 point win was exactly what happened (got out ahead early and forced a bad passing USF team to throw). That was the best case scenario though, and we just hit my best case scenario. Therefor I was quite pleased.

My take aways:
    – Taggart is a coach that we could have targeted, and I think that our hire was better.
    – Skip left that program in shambles. I have thought and continue to think he jumped the shark at ECU.
    – What Ruffin has done at ECU (big win @ VT) shows me that’s a school with some inherent advantages. A good coach can do very well there.
    – That’s as complete a game as I’ve seen out of NC State since the RW years. That’s nothing against Glennon, but our defense tailed off hard and we had no running game with him at QB. It’s hard to be complete without a running game.
    – USF has some speed here and there. They are a lot like us last year though in that they have no QB.
    – We need to hold onto the ball on punts. I’d try Underwood there because he’s obviously fast and we need to get the ball in his hands.
    – We played our third straight clean game from a penalty perspective. This is much improved.
    – Yes, we beat a weaker team soundly, but I do think you can take something away from it. For a “major conference” team like that to be beaten so badly at home, they typically have turned it over. That really didn’t happen. This was just a methodical thrashing by moving the ball up and down the field and getting stops. That’s impressive.
    – BC looked good against USC. Syracuse is quietly building too. Presbyterian and Wake are the only two games left where we’ll be heavily favored. We’re going to have to win some swing games (GT, UNC, BC, Syracuse) to hit 7-5 (where I thought we’d finish).

lawful
    Participant

….maybe someone can have a WTF game against us???? Or as a Wolfpack faithful is that just not possible?

patientwuf
    Participant

One thing I found interesting, primarily because I didn’t understand the reasoning behind it, was the OLine was pretty much the first unit throughout. Did the O coaches want to see what Nichols and others could do behind the 1st unit or was it something else?

Curious about that myself Grey. I have to admit our O-line looked impressive. Weak competition or not, we haven’t demolished a defensive front like that in long time.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

I’m with 1.21JW…I don’t think that Sat’s game yields much predictive power for the rest of the year. Still hoping for 6 wins and the Pinstripe Bowl.

Wufpacker
    Participant

….maybe someone can have a WTF game against us???? Or as a Wolfpack faithful is that just not possible?

Happens all the time. A WTF win/loss by us is often paired with a WTF loss/win by the opposition.

For example, just ask FSU circa 1998 and 2012.

tjfoose1
    Participant

Per the OL question, I pretty much stopped watching late in the game, but a few common reasons for leaving the starting unit in are below.

Probably the most common reason is to keep the unit and sub patterns consistent. The OL is more of a single unit that works in unison than 5 individual positions. Unit cohesion is just as important, if not more so, than the individual talent of the 5 linemen. I’d guess that the coaches wanted to keep building upon what they got working. Besides, with the personnel we have, you get the backups work in spots, integrated in with the regulars, not all together, wholesale.

If you’re on a defense late in the game on the wrong side of a butt-whupp’n, what are you likely to do? Think blitzing might be on the menu? What if you’re on that defense and you smell an OL made up of newbies? Think that would be a good situation for an entirely new OL unit on the field? Would you want to be the QB or RB lining up behind them? If you were, might it be reasonable to be concerned for your health?

The team had momentum and was playing well. End it on a good note. Don’t start messing with your oil mixture when you got the engine humming along. Screw that up, and you’re likely to mess up more than just your engine.

Besides, if you have a good OL with the right attitude, run blocking is FUN! This OL has been gelling nicely and racking up the rush yardage. The OL takes pride in rush totals like they’re getting. For the OL unit, rushing for 200-300 yards in a game is almost like intercepting a pass, blocking a kick, or scoring a TD. It’s an accomplishment of pride. Given NC State’s rushing stats that last decade or so, it’s probably like all of those all wrapped in one.

mak4dpak
    Participant

Out of town for the Titans/Cowboys. Late post. I followed the score of State’s game while in Tennessee. Way to go Pack, great win, and definitely show those who thought we may squeak by, that that we can be explosive, and are continuing to improve. Also saw where GS gave GT all it could handle, before losing by 4 points. So it is looking more like national television for two undefeated teams in week 5. Which State will win?

Thurston Howl lll
    Participant

Best game in Doeran era at State. “Hopefully” a sign of what’s to come.

"The Heart of the Wolf is in the PACK!"

Viewing 21 posts - 26 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.