State/Dook Ice Prison Game Thread

Home Forums StateFans Basketball State/Dook Ice Prison Game Thread

Viewing 25 posts - 251 through 275 (of 306 total)
  • Author
    TheCOWDOG

Coming off that leg,Freeman is not the best of examples, IMO.

Anya? With the weight battle…hard to quantify, but it does show a working effort.

pakfanistan
    Participant

Don’t know if Freeman and Anya have necessarily gone backwards, but they aren’t improving. Duke did not even bother to guard them.

Anya loves cheeseburgers more than basketball and Freeman broke his leg and clearly doesn’t have the green light to shoot at will.

pakfanistan
    Participant

Coming off that leg,Freeman is not the best of examples, IMO.

Anya? With the weight battle…hard to quantify, but it does show a working effort.

Dangit you beat me to it.

TheCOWDOG

^ Rub some Neet’s Foot Oil into those digit joints!

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Anya has worked his playing time up to 20-35 minutes a game from 7…
    not because he’s lost a bunch of weight — he gets credit for that — but because he NOT FOULING at the rate of 1 every 2 minutes or less…

that’s measureable improvement…

Freeman’s off the table due to the leg..

I’m not saying there aren’t others, just I can’t name ’em….
    Since nobody else has…

I guess I made my point….

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    choppack1
    Participant

Bill – that’s a good point on the fouling.

This year probably will be the first one where we don’t go the dance under Gott. To me, the only real question is where do we go from here.

The bad news for Gott – is that he has a track record – and that has to be considered when evaluating his future. But that evaluation, from the point of retention, shouldn’t have to be addressed until next year.

Good coaches do miss the tourney – it happens. The question for Gott is as it is for all of us – will be learn from mistakes or not.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Duke loses yet again to Miami. Probably knocks them out of the top 25.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Chop…

“Track” records like all other records are made to be broken…

Who among is truly and totally constrained by their past?
    Is it possible that the past is sometimes used as an excuse for attempting to avoid the future?
    Are not the words “can’t” and “won’t” often used as incorrectly synonyms?

Truth is… I’m just as clueless as anybody else about what Coach GOTT or his Teams might or might not do in the future…

I am certain that comparing what a man does when he’s 35 does not always accurately predict what he’ll do when he’s 50 and that comparing NC State and the ACC now and ‘Bama ten years ago damn sure ain’t apples and apples….

At the end of the day…
    You just GOTT to eliminate the excuses, understand the language and trust….

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    Rick
    Keymaster

I expect a full on apology from many this time next year, but I’m sure that won’t happen unless we’re undefeated and win each game by 50.

So where do you think State will be this time next year?

I’ll happily give an apology right after Gott wins the ACC regular season, ACCT, or makes a Final Four.

What exactly would you be apologizing for?

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

If Gott did any of those three things, then I would apologize for this:

Who among is truly and totally constrained by their past?

Any coach with a decade or more experience has an established track record at that level. That record doesn’t establish absolute min’s and max’s but does a pretty good job of defining the mean/average. If you’re happy with that average, then great. If not, don’t hold your breath hoping for dramatic improvement.

On a more analytical level, 1.21JW spent alot of time and effort comparing Gott’s teams to those that make various levels of achievement in the NCAAT. Bottom line, Gott’s teams don’t play good enough defense to expect much more than what he’s accomplished in the past.

That doesn’t mean that he couldn’t come out of no-where like UNLV did with Augmen, Johnson, and Anthony. But until he recruits three NBA-quality players on the same team, it’s not likely to happen. And frankly, the recruiting over the last year or so doesn’t lead me to think that he’s going to build up enough talent any time soon.

What would I do if I were Yow? Get him to bring in an assistant from a team noted for defense and try to shore up the play on that end of the court.

Rick
    Keymaster

Va,
    Not surprisingly I agree with your opinion, I just don’t understand why anyone would expect you (or me) to apologize for that opinion. I can certainly see an expectation of admitting you were wrong but to apologize for your opinion doesn’t make sense to me.

Rick
    Keymaster

Duke loses yet again to Miami. Probably knocks them out of the top 25.

How can we expect to compete with the talent Miami brings in
    Miami starters against Duke: (80-69 Miami win)

Tonya Jekiri – ESPN Rank- Not in top 100

Kamari Murphy – ESPN Rank- Not in top 100

Davon Reed – ESPN Rank- Not in top 100

Angel Rodriguez – ESPN Rank- Not in top 100

Sheldon McClellan – ESPN Rank- #47 4*

Bench:

Ja’Quan Newton – ESPN Rank- #58 4*

Ivan Cruz Uceda – ESPN Rank- Not in top 100, (foreign, no info)

James Palmer – ESPN Rank- Not in top 100

NCSU starters against Duke: (88-78 State loss)

BeeJay Anya – ESPN Rank- #67 4*

Abdul-Malik Abu – ESPN Rank- #32 4*

Cat Barber – ESPN Rank- #26 4*

Cody Martin – ESPN Rank- #91 4*

Maverick Rowan – ESPN Rank- #30 4*

Bench:

Caleb Martin – ESPN Rank- #62 4*

Lennard Freeman – ESPN Rank- Not in top 100

Wulfpack
    Participant

Miami has a solid class coming in. They are in good shape moving forward. Of course, we all know Larranaga can flat out coach.

Duke appears to be in trouble. They are now 4-4 in leage play, good for 9th place. Worse, they still have UNC twice, Lville twice, and UVa. More losses to come for sure.

tjfoose1
    Participant

Fire Coach K.

He should’ve been prepared for the Jefferson injury. The lack of depth is his fault. The roster is his doing. Inexcusable.

wolfpack92owen
    Participant

Fire Coach K.

He should’ve been prepared for the Jefferson injury. The lack of depth is his fault. The roster is his doing. Inexcusable.

Didnt K win it all last year? Oh yeah he did.

tjfoose1
    Participant

That was last year.

Funny guy, all of a sudden trying to introduce a lil history, perspective, and reasoned logic to THIS discussion.

Wulfpack
    Participant

A bit disingenuous to suggest this as an apples to apples comparison.

Duke lost three freshmen from last year’s natty championship winning team (Jah, Winslowe, Jones). Also lost Cook to graduation. Clearly, Duke recruits 1 and done talent each year now.

This year, he’s starting a high school senior that reclassified at point in Thornton, with freshmen Ingram and Kennard. Ingram is 1 and done.

Not making excuses for Duke. But it’s a different kind of program and you can bet your behind K is going to get them back up there again. We’ve never even been there.

Rick
    Keymaster

A bit disingenuous to suggest this as an apples to apples comparison.

Duke lost three freshmen from last year’s natty championship winning team (Jah, Winslowe, Jones). Also lost Cook to graduation. Clearly, Duke recruits 1 and done talent each year now.

This year, he’s starting a high school senior that reclassified at point in Thornton, with freshmen Ingram and Kennard. Ingram is 1 and done.

Not making excuses for Duke. But it’s a different kind of program and you can bet your behind K is going to get them back up there again. We’ve never even been there.

Apparently you missed the “nuance, sarcasm, and perspective” that made it an apples to apples comparison.

tjfoose1
    Participant

Agree, mostly, Wulf’, however…

Gott lost a starter 7 min into the season, also has a reclassified high school senior, and has only one legitimate guard and ball handler.

As you state it, I agree, it is not apples to apples. Plus there’s that whole Coack K career thing.

However, it is if one is trying to ‘blame’ the head coach for active roster of healthy bodies, regardless of circumstance.

At least Coach K had an idea that his one-and-done folks might not be back. Gott was blindsided by Lacey.

But anyway, I’m obviously making a joke, mostly anyway.

MrPlywood
    Participant

Clearly, Duke recruits 1 and done talent each year now.

So is/was Gott. One came, the other bolted at the last minute. Just imagine two changes: Henderson healthy all season, and Bam commits to play with DSJ. Maybe State has 2 or 3 more ACC wins – VT, Wake, maybe L’ville and fans are looking forward to another NCAA berth and a team on the rise with potential stars waiting to play. I’m pretty sure the tenor of these discussions would be vastly different.

Edit based on foose’s comment: Three changes, let’s throw Lacey into the mix. We might be talking Sweet 16 again.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Yea, I get it and agree. Unfortunate situations for both coaches to be sure. Let’s see if both of them can recruit their programs out of the funk.

Wulfpack
    Participant

I know Gott was doing the same with one and done talent. But he did not get them. Duke continues to get them. We’ve got to change gears, if we haven’t already.

tjfoose1
    Participant

One thing I haven’t seen mentioned, yet, is the reasoning behind having empty scholly slots.

It’s not a season by season consideration. It’s a long term projection that can be somewhat precarious if you’re not a Kentucky, Duke, or Kansas who can just stockpile talent every year.

But even Duke is having problems this year. So my overall point above was, that even if arguably THE top PROGRAM in the country can have a season with a clusterf**k roster, certainly it is not unreasonable for NC State to find itself in the midst of one, especially given the circumstances that lead to it.

If you’re targeting and recruiting top talent, you don’t want to fill a 4 year scholly spot with a marginal fall back plan. Especially when you have projections for those spots to be filled the following year.

Those criticizing Gott for not doing this are the same ones criticizing him for players transferring for more playing time after better talent is brought in.

It’s an art, managing a major college basketball roster year to year in today’s world of one-and-done and mass transfers, and Gott got bit this year.

I’m not saying Gott is blameless, nor am I saying it is his fault. I’m simply adding this consideration to the discussion, as I had not yet seen it mentioned. Apologies if it was and I missed it.

Rick
    Keymaster

I know Gott was doing the same with one and done talent. But he did not get them. Duke continues to get them. We’ve got to change gears, if we haven’t already.

We can either go for top talent or develop lower level. I am not sure we keep players around long enough to develop them.

tjfoose1
    Participant

And as soon as I posted the above, I see two of you had already, indirectly at least, made the same point.

Some of us are on the same page, anyway, if not the same paragraph.

Viewing 25 posts - 251 through 275 (of 306 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.