State Once Offered Job to Roy Williams

Home Forums StateFans Basketball State Once Offered Job to Roy Williams

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Wulfpack
    Participant

OMG:

Now, Roy Williams never would have actually considered it. Not after attending North Carolina and playing there on the freshman basketball team. Not after working for Dean Smith, and not after growing up with a special kind of disdain for N.C. State.

But still. Put all that aside, for a moment, and imagine if it had happened. Imagine if Williams, now in his 14th season as UNC’s head coach, had said yes all those years ago when N.C. State called and asked him if he had interest in its head coaching vacancy.

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/unc/unc-now/article133435919.html#storylink=cpy

GoldenChain
    Participant

OH GESUS, just another Katz/Bilas/Gminski/Gold hit piece on “no one wants the NC State Job”.

Williams didn’t want to come to State because they didn’t have a vehicle for getting dummies in and keeping them eligible.

I remember he had some big recruit at Kansas who could not make 800 on the SAT after several tries. The kid came to NC and took it and guess what? He made 800! It was an academic miracle!

wolfpack92owen
    Participant

He makes a great point in regards to athletic directors. Cannot argue with that one.

tractor57
    Participant

Bet those job offers were in the Todd Turner era.

BJD95
    Keymaster

I offered it to him.

During the Les era, KS came to Reynolds, and I had a student seat behind the opponent’s bench, which was always where I chose (and in those days, when one would get in line at 4am…one usually got to choose).

My entire goal during the shoot around was to get Ol’ Roy to laugh, and since I am indeed the nephew of his famous “high school coach” I was pretty sure I could.

Roy! We need you! Just LOOK at us, for Christ’s sake!! You can play golf with Dean twice a week!! Shit, you don’t even have to beat him if you’re afraid it will hurt his feelings, we’re not exactly proud at this point in time, just beat everybody else!! C’mon, Roy, it’ll be fun!!

He did laugh.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.