State loses at Boston College, 79-63

Home Forums All StateFansNation State loses at Boston College, 79-63

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 100 total)
  • Author
    McCallum
    Participant

Hoosiers was on yesterday.

Merle at the end of the picket fence for the win, Ollie hitting the free throws, Strap busting off 4 straight points, Ray with great on ball defense, and the end is always warm and hearty.

Bad news: I have tickets for the ClemPson game.

McCallum

Wulfpack
    Participant

I knew we were pretty much toast after I saw that celebration video. My goodness, act like you’ve been there before.

We’re still going to go dancing, but we’ve made it much harder than necessary. And we’re looking at knocking heads against a 1 or 2 in the second game, so probably going to be a short stay.

pakfanistan
    Participant

I knew we were pretty much toast after I saw that celebration video. My goodness, act like you’ve been there before.

Yeah but….we hadn’t been there before.

Even people who have been there before get excited after a win over a rival.

Rick
    Keymaster

In checking boxscores, Lacey/Turner were a combined 9 of 31 shooting, and the team percentages BC 58%, NC State 33%. And the coach don’t shoot the ball. Guess we will see Tuesday vs Clemson, if the guys learned anything from the loss, to BC. I, for one, certainly hope so. Win that, and we should be okay at home vs Syracuse.

Ugh

I truly hate the ‘coach can’t shot the ball’argument.
    While true or is a hopelessly immature argument.
    Sure coach can’t ‘shot the ball’
    But the coach CAN
    1) put the players in a goods offense to give them the best chance to hit the shot
    2) build a good culture of defense do when the doors aren’t falling we are not completely screwed
    3) change things up

It’s not like this is the only turd in this’d years punch bowl.

Rick
    Keymaster

Yeah but….we hadn’t been there before.

Hardly a ringing endorsement a fourth year coach.

BTW by this logic how does a coach ever win his first championship.

mak4dpak
    Participant

Rick, you love to get into the name calling, huh? Really? I have my opinion, and if it doesn’t go along with yours, you resort to this. Immature???? No, what it is called is my opinion, which as a poster, I am certainly entitled to, and don’t find myself throwing names around, because people disagree with me. My opinion is still the same, regardless! We are supposed to be pulling for the same team. Gott is not going anywhere, anytime soon. Sorry! Get used to it.

Tau837
    Participant

Overall losses means about as much to the bubble discussion as our team nicknames do

I don’t disagree with your overall point, but, if State loses again in the regular season and does not win the ACC tournament, that means 14 losses. It is worth noting that only 6 teams with 14 losses have been at-large selections since 1985:

Arizona 2008 19-14 (.576)
    Georgia 2001 16-14 (.533)
    Villanova 1991 16-14 (.533)
    Kansas State 1990 17-14 (.548)
    Villanova 1990 18-14 (.563)
    LSU 1987 21-14 (.600)

Only 2 teams in the past 23 tournaments.

Presumably it is very rare for a team with 14 losses to have the resume State has, so they could be the next such team. But what they really need to do is just win the last two regular season games. IMO that will lock up a bid.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Now that we are, yet again, in bubble land, it’s hard to predict what a loss here or there will mean going forward. We will be judged relative to our peers in bubble land, as it should be. So pay close attention to what happens nationally.

Wulfpack
    Participant

I just don’t want to see us in Kentucky’s bracket (you know we aren’t going to be seeded in Duke’s bracket). That would not be fortunate.

pakfanistan
    Participant

I truly hate the ‘coach can’t shot the ball’argument.
    While true or is a hopelessly immature argument.
    Sure coach can’t ‘shot the ball’
    But the coach CAN
    1) put the players in a goods offense to give them the best chance to hit the shot
    2) build a good culture of defense do when the doors aren’t falling we are not completely screwed
    3) change things up

It’s not like this is the only turd in this’d years punch bowl.

I’m just curious if you watched the game. Our best scorer air balled, I think, three shots. One of them was a layup. If there’s ever been a time for, “the coach can’t shoot the ball, it’s that.

As others have pointed out, the shots we didn’t air ball generally hit off the front of the rim. These guys shoot a high percentage. It’s not like they forgot.

How are we going to start driving and playing attack defense when we’re so out of sorts we’re air balling layups?

Hardly a ringing endorsement a fourth year coach.

BTW by this logic how does a coach ever win his first championship.

No other coach in NC State history has beaten Roy in the nose dome.

Carolina’s win% at the Smith center is 83.4%.

Gott is 1-3 at Carolina. So against Gott Carolina is 66.6% at home. Which is significantly lower. (I understand the sample size is small)

Tau837
    Participant

^that would be 75%…

pakfanistan
    Participant

^that would be 75%…

Doh, thanks. Not even I can be perfect all of the time.

PackerInRussia
    Participant

If it takes a loss afterwards to get a win against UNC, I’ll take that deal any day of the week. You might tempt me with two losses, even. UNC fans can criticize us or the team or whoever for making it such a big deal, but it’s not like their team, and especially their coach, treat it like just another game. They’re usually playing lights out and get up in a big way for that game. It means a lot to them, too.
    If we were still having arguments about BCS v. playoff in football, this would be an argument in the non-playoff category. We’re not even allowed to enjoy a win against Carolina, at Carolina (where we’ve historically had tons of success???) for more than 5 days because losing at Boston College could negatively impact NCAAT selection. Not saying there’s not legitimate reason to be upset with that loss, but I wish I could just bask in a very meaningful win (meaningful beyond any post-season tournament) without having to fret about how a loss might affect RPI (and, yes, I understand that affecting RPI is not the issue, but rather overall record).

Rick
    Keymaster

Rick, you love to get into the name calling, huh? Really? I have my opinion, and if it doesn’t go along with yours, you resort to this. Immature???? No, what it is called is my opinion, which as a poster, I am certainly entitled to, and don’t find myself throwing names around, because people disagree with me. My opinion is still the same, regardless! We are supposed to be pulling for the same team. Gott is not going anywhere, anytime soon. Sorry! Get used to it.

I did not can you a name. I said that argument is immature because it is very elementary logic. Your assumption is the coach can do nothing to impact the players shooting. It was used for both Sendek and Lowe so it’s track recordbis not that great.

Rick
    Keymaster

While I agree Gott is the best since V. That is like having the best grade in Amfam. It is a low hurdle.

Rick
    Keymaster

Can we change our name from the Wolfpack to the bubble guppies?

Rick
    Keymaster

Can we change our name from the Wolfpack to the bubble guppies?

pakfanistan
    Participant

While I agree Gott is the best since V. That is like having the best grade in Amfam. It is a low hurdle.

Bro, I understand your frustration, but we have a 25 year history of absolute futility. Player change can be quick, but culture change can sometimes take time.

And I think the culture is changing, even if it’s not changing as fast as I would like. Assuming we don’t screw the pooch on the next coaching change, and I’m making no claims about when that should be, we’re in good shape.

Rick
    Keymaster

Pak,
    I agree t takes time to change the culture. I an just not convinced Gott is changing it that much.

13OT
    Participant

Wulfpack, no need to worry about us being in the same bracket with Kentucky (or Duke, for that matter).

Won’t happen. Neither of those two will be in the NIT.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Some of ya’ll need to give it up…

Of the LAST SEVEN basketball Coaches going all the way back to CASE, ALL of them had to learn how to win in Chapel Hill.

That game and the next game.

Of that group of seven, GOTT is either 1 or 2 in terms of the process. Sloan being the other.

Dancing after your first win in Chapel Hill is mandatory.

———————
    Culture change…

The “culture” of our basketball program has changed and continues to evolve steadily in a positive direction.

That said…

Perhaps to some who don’t spend a good deal of time around today’s young people, it’s difficult to understand and accept that the larger culture of college sports within which our program exists is changing almost as fast as our program evolves, and not necessarily in the same direction, thus blurring some things that are obvious to others.

More than a few just don’t like “culture change” anywhere, anytime.

Another Million a year will not get us a better set of basketball coaches than the ones we currently have on the payroll.

———————

Now…. Somebody go ahead and say something stupid.

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    Rick
    Keymaster

How about ‘I agree with you’? 🙂

wufpup76
    Keymaster

…I wish I could just bask in a very meaningful win (meaningful beyond any post-season tournament) without having to fret about how a loss might affect RPI …

^Yeah, no problem with the post-Cheat beatdown celebration. I think it’s fair to question how ‘mentally focused’ the staff had the guys, but we could probably argue that among ourselves forever.

For whatever reason(s) yesterday happened, the fact is most teams have a game like yesterday happen. It’s even understandable, to a certain extent – though certainly not excusable. If the scenario that happened this past week – win @ Cheats, get thumped @ BC – plays out in January then people are less liable to get so angsty. (BC wouldn’t be on a 9-game losing streak, but it’d be clear they’d probably finish at the bottom).

Another problem is that yesterday’s loss really highlights State’s earlier losses – some of which you could argue State most definitely “should” have won. Finish off two or three of those, and yesterday’s loss becomes much more digestible if not understandable. As it stood though, State came out flat against an opponent that took advantage – it just so happened that State really couldn’t afford to lose the game b/c of the position they had put themselves in.

So, you know – reactors gonna react, critics gonna criticize, excuses gonna excuse, haters gonna hate 😉 (interwebz4lyfe) … My opinion: Beat the Cheats at their place for the first time in the last 12 and beat renowned Pack hater and destroyer (plus cheater!) Roy Williams – dance all night. You’ve earned it. Just, you know, try not to lose to 1-14 BC next time out haha.

mak4dpak
    Participant

Just wanted to give a congrats to the undersized Pack women’s team. They lost to ND, but gave the #4 team in the country a fight, finally losing 67-60, and that’s not bad, considering the size of their team.

DrWuffette1day
    Participant

I was going to agree with Rick on the sole basis that he suggested changing our mascot to a fish. We are awesome with fish!!! We catch them better than anybody else. We swim like them and are faster than everybody….

I think (season-ending) Sharks sounds better though.

Roo- enjoyed your post. 100% on board. In an effort to keep true to Bill’s request, I think our team needs more “john” time.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 100 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.