State Firmly Ranked in “Ridiculously Early” 2015/16 Top 25 Hoops Polls

Home Forums All StateFansNation State Firmly Ranked in “Ridiculously Early” 2015/16 Top 25 Hoops Polls

Viewing 14 posts - 26 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    tractor57
    Participant

The problem with stats is you are diving while looking to past results. If a steady state they are an excellent predictor of new results but I submit the Pack BB experience has finally broken out of that steady state. Don’t get me wrong as I feel stats from previous years are important but I do see some changes that foretell good things.

PapaJohn
    Participant

I have been reading this blog for a long time, since sometime in the Sendek administration. I do not recall such a general positive attitude. And not just in basketball.

And I lay it all at the feet of Ms Yow. I never imagined that she would have such an impact. She’s done exactly what she promised, to accept nothing but excellence and to establish a new trajectory for Wolfpack athletics.

Her job will never be ‘finished’, but we’re seeing good stuff happening. I don’t keep up with all of the various sports within her purview, but the revenue sports and the others I hear about all seem to be trending in the right direction.

Good days for Wolfpack athletics. Let’s enjoy it!

theghost
    Participant

I wish it was as easy as “just guard consistently.” Shot selection and running a sound offense on a consistent basis is, I think, an even bigger impediment to success. The last 10 minutes of the Louisville game, jacking up forced 1-on-5 shots and standing around the perimeter waiting on the defense to take a smoke break was emblematic of our lapses all season, if not all of the past quarter century.

There’s no question Gottfried is the best coach we’ve had since they killed Valvano. He can recruit just fine. We’ll see if he can step it up on the consistency scale, which is what is required if you’re going to run with the likes of Izzo and K and Pitino come tournament time.

BJD95
    Keymaster

There’s a lot of synergy from having the right people at the right time.

Gottfried isn’t a perfect coach by any means, but he seems to me like he belongs here. He gets what NC State is and what it isn’t, and how to best leverage that in the larger college hoops world. Definitely haven’t had that since V, not even close. And he certainly fits this group of players we have right now, which I really, really like.

Doeren was exactly the right guy to take over the barren moonscape left behind in the wake of Amato followed by TOB’s early retirement. He was a damned miracle gifted to us by the universe.

redisgood
    Participant

Next year could be the peak of Gott’s career.

Lacey will be gone and Cat goes pro. No recruits in sight for next year (except 2 longshot one-and-dones).

Enjoy 2015/16 fellas it should be a good ride but don’t get used to it.

No doubt next year will be pivotal in terms of Gottfried’s career trajectory. He admitted while at Alabama he got lazy with recruiting after Bama had achieved some success. I have no problem with the lack of recruits this year, but there will be some major red flags if that carries into the 2016 class. We are considered a solid leader for Dennis Smith which would be a very good get, but there is a lot of time and a lot of schools will be coming at him hard, so we’ll see.

wufpup76
    Keymaster

Agree Beej, we have two head coaches in the money programs that are not only great fits for their respective programs but they’re great fits for the University and fan base(s).

There’s plenty of negatives and/or criticisms that could be said about or used against Gottfried from his past and perhaps time here, but he has embraced all the challenges of being the NC State head basketball coach in its current state (post Lowe + Sendek; media narrative run amok, among many other things). I don’t mean to get too ‘sunshine squad-y’, but Gottfried has faced those challenges head on and embraced everything about being the State coach. He deserves a ton of credit and respect in this area, imo. Plus two Sweet 16’s in four seasons ain’t too bad, either.

Doeren may be short on experience, but I think he has already shown himself to be easy to relate with for a lot of State fans. I know it’s catering to the fans when he speaks publicly about it, but I believe his high work ethic, no BS persona is genuine. I’d say the collective State fan base knows BS when it’s said or displayed rather well; plenty of experience having it shoved down our throats from many different angles. Doeren doesn’t seem to abide it – cool. Season two showed that the program could have some real potential for the future.

redisgood
    Participant

I think Doeren’s formula is pretty simple. He just outworks everybody. Whether it’s recruiting, scouting, attention to detail, social responsibility, public relations, or any other aspect of a college coaches job. The guy is relentless.

PapaJohn
    Participant

“I think Doeren’s formula is pretty simple. He just outworks everybody. Whether it’s recruiting, scouting, attention to detail, social responsibility, public relations, or any other aspect of a college coaches job. The guy is relentless.”

Exactly right.
    DD calls us a blue collar, hands in the dirt, hard working team. That’s exactly what we want.

I like both DD and Gott, but I think DD is an even better fit. (nothing negative intended at all about Gott) DD said it himself, he and NC State are a perfect match, that’s why he took the job.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

I’d say the collective State fan base knows BS when it’s said or displayed rather well; plenty of experience having it shoved down our throats from many different angles.

This was a bridge too far.

There is plenty of evidence that there is a segment of the State fan base that will always ignore whatever is required to maintain their own, distorted world view. Even Sidney Lowe had adherent supporters long past most had given up hope.

wufpup76
    Keymaster

Fair point, Va. People gonna people.

BJD95
    Keymaster

I would also posit that the Doeren persona wouldn’t wear well (long-term) for hoops, nor would Gottfried’s work particularly well for football. Different skillsets required, at least at NC State. I mean, there’s a reason why we point to V and Sheridan as the modern era gold standards.

choppack1
    Participant

The stats concluded Gottv at NC State was nothing more than a first weekend coach. Yet he made the Sweet 16 twice in four year years and beat the #1 seed to do it this year. Stats can be manipulated to support the conclusion one wants to make. Bottom line results can’t be dismissed so easily.

And the results are that you can’t expect much better than what you’ve seen so far if we don’t improve defensively.

Look at the coaches who make the final 4. When it comes to schools from the power conferences – there aren’t a lot of coaches who have been coaching at that level long who are “strangers” to the final 4.

History has an annoying tendency to repeat itself. You can flippantly dismiss jigs’ #s as sorcery, but its pretty clear cut AND common sense – if you are going to win 6 games in a row vs. Good competition – you need to be good on both sides of the ball and a little lucky.

This doesn’t mean gott won’t ever make it to a final 4. He had shown the ability to get the talented players needed to advance in the tourney. However, if we want more than bubble seeds and sweet 16, we need to improve our d, without suffering a lapse in our offense.

tractor57
    Participant

Agreed improved defense is imperative but I think the team did show significant improvement in the last month of the regular season and during the NCAA tourney. To go further all around play has to take another step forward. That I think is very possible next year. Later years might show some regression if recruiting falls (not in the number of burger boys rather in finding the proper pieces to fit with the rest of the team).

choppack1
    Participant

Tractor – that’s true….but I would rather keep these guys together. A great season next year and I can handle missing the tourney while we rebuild.

Viewing 14 posts - 26 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.