State falls to ASU, long season ahead

Home Forums All StateFansNation State falls to ASU, long season ahead

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    StateFans
    Keymaster

Our big men look more like freshmen than juniors and sophomores with reaching and over the backs that are more akin to AAU junior high school players
    [See the full post at: State falls to ASU, long season ahead]

choppack1
    Participant

What a shocker – we aren’t getting defensive rebounds. It’s frustrating – but I guess it is to be expected. If we were to be a good defensive rebounding team it would be a first since gott arrived.

Again, I think we’re seeing why we can be good, but won’t be great under Gott. He has done a solid job thus far, but this leopard isn’t changing his stripes. Viva gott ball! Viva la bubble.

Classof89
    Participant

Agreed on the not enough bodies thing. Given how frequently we have players transfer, I don’t think there is anything irresponsible or un ethical about recruiting over people. In this current era, the Calipari level of player loyalty seems a sound approach, given how Gott has been repeatedly burned by players transferring or leaving earlier. This ain’t the 60s anymore. We deride coaches with a “waiver wire”, but why not stockpile as many players as we can, and sort out who plays based on performance, and not promises made to recruits?

BassPacker
    Participant

Lets give him another raise, maybe that will help. Last nite was more about coach than players. Gott simple got out coached by a first year head coach at ASU. Don’t buy into the need more bodies. No way we should have been killed on rebounding and inside like was last night. From a much smaller squad and from a team that saw its main big man in foul trouble early. And we can’t exploit it. Its X’s and O’s and we ain’t Gott it.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Viva la bubble

May be a stretch this year.

Yea, Hurley was able to do more with less last night.

Need to win tonight, badly.

PapaJohn
    Participant

So, if the shots are falling, we’ve got a chance. We appear to be another team of shooters, with no other way to win. Gott ball.

We’d better figure out defense and rebounding quickly, or this season will be lost early. We don’t shoot well enough to cover all the other deficiencies.

phcqmfd
    Participant

Man, it is amazing that we can have such doom and gloom predictors. The difference in the game is the two banked 3 point shots that ASU hit. One right before half and one while we were making a run. A few plays were the difference. Lets wait until conference play being before we write them off.

Rick
    Keymaster

If we need bodies its because Gott cannot keep players.
    Long year but the deficiencies are consistent.

BJD95
    Keymaster

Had we won, I would still be extremely concerned. I know I’m a broken record…but poop is poop. And we have been 160 minutes of raw, unadulterated poop.

choppack1
    Participant

Ph – if those shots would have clanged off – asu would have probably gotten the rebound. Probably the most frustrating element of Gott’s teams are its athleticism and size but lack of rebounding and solid d – and that’s been one of his calling cards since bama.

He’s next great defensive team will be his first.

MISTA WOLF
    Participant

Same s#it, different season. You think the rebounding was bad last night, wait and watch what the Simmons kid does today against us. Hopefully Gott fixes the issue with rebounding. At least were not hitting on all cylinders YET. We have a lot of room for improvement and that is expected. Sky is not falling here in Pfafftown. The season is young and what matters is that the ball is rolling smoothly come conference time.

PackerInRussia
    Participant

Given the way they’re calling fouls (you can’t touch an offense player who’s facing the basket or is it the player with the ball facing the basket? either way), they need to clear the lane and let Cat drive until everyone on the other team has fouled out and the game is called on account of lack of players on the opposing team.

TheCOWDOG

The club may not be in midseason form, but holy mother of pearl …the board is.

Henderson 7 minutes and out. Frenchie fresh off a busted pin. Two rooks not yet outta the diapers…

Turkey first, Santa second, Old Man Time 2015…Gott it, next.

redisgood
    Participant

So many negatives from last night. Rebounding, FT shooting (other than Cat), no offense from our bigs, defensive breakdowns, etc. etc. It’s amazing we only lost by three. If we get half of the 50/50 balls, if half of those missed 5 footers from Beejay, Lennard, and Abu go in, take away the stupid retaliation fouled by Martin, box out better on the defensive end, and someone other than Cat makes free throws, we win the 20-30. I think some of these guys may have partied a little too hard in NY this past weekend and weren’t mentally or physically ready to play. Cat played his heart out though. He looked absolutely exhausted at the end of the game. I’m not sure what he will have left in the tank tonight. I can’t get the thought out of my head that Kyle Washington wouldn’t have let us lose last night. He has a toughness our other bigs don’t. I also think if Terry Henderson was getting the 25 minutes that ended up going to Mav, we would be seeing a different team.

I do agree this does not look like it’s going to be much of a season. We’re just too thin, the bigs cannot generate enough offense, and they do not have enough mental toughness. I’m not sure why Gott isn’t throwing Kirk in there to shake things up a bit. He’s very athletic, and if nothing else has 5 fouls to give.

It could be an ugly game tonight. They will be going at next year’s #1 overall NBA pick, and that is a scary proposition, given how we don’t play defense. Ben Simmons will be like Savon Goodman on steroids times 10.

Rick
    Keymaster

The club may not be in midseason form, but holy mother of pearl …the board is.

Henderson 7 minutes and out. Frenchie fresh off a busted pin. Two rooks not yet outta the diapers…

Enough criticizing the board. There are valid reasons why everyone is upset and for some reason you can never acknowledge that fact. Good heavens, you act like discussing the problems of a team is insulting your children.

As to the injuries, two points
    1) we have been remarkably injury free the past four years and have had the same problems. You cannot blame these problems on injuries.
    2) If Gott could stem the tide of people leaving before their eligibility is up (averaging two a year) then maybe injuries would not be as big a deal.

Lastly, Gott might get us to the tournament (I have said it would surprise me if he does not) but that does not mean we shouldn’t discuss the issues we see now.

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

Looks to be a long season indeed. Gott deserves a mulligan from the fans in my opinion for this season though after the last 4 years.

Tau837
    Participant

Its X’s and O’s and we ain’t Gott it.

Can anyone break down how the division of responsibility is handled between Gott and the assistants, and what the strengths are of all of the assistants?

IMO Gott seems like a coach who is good at a lot of important stuff: recruiting, media, player relationships/management, motivation. When it comes to Xs and Os, his strength is supposedly offense, though I think that supposed strength might be overrated.

But we have a lot of conversation in this forum about consistent weaknesses of his teams, namely defense (of all kinds, i.e., man-to-man, zone, press) and rebounding. Wouldn’t a coach like Gott benefit from having assistants who are specifically strong in these areas? Does he have that on staff? If not, why not?

I like Gott a lot. But I wonder if he and our team would benefit from a shakeup within his staff.

TheCOWDOG

Hey Ricky. The day I cease socio-observation, is the day you cease extrapolating other’s opinions to fit your own.

Kindly refrain from telling me what I can and cannot type.

choppack1
    Participant

Cow – like most of the board, I think that gott is probably worst case – 2 seasons away from a hot seat. I think this is a good thing for the program’s stability if he can at least equal the results of his first year.

He has been coaching for 15 years and he has a track record. The problems you saw last night have been the problems his teams have had during thise 15 years. Those problems are why he doesn’t have the hardware of most other guys who have lasted that long. It’s also why the Bam’s of the world have had last minute changes of heart after he had put in tons of work on the recruiting trail.

He’s very close – but he needs to get past the ceiling of his first 15 years – and that will only happen when his team starts playing solid d for 40 minutes in most of their games.

Adventuroo
    Participant

I’m in DOG’s corner on this thread. I thought that some posters had found incriminating sexts on their partners phones…..to ORW.
    In regard to raise….Gott is guaranteed 325,000 LESS this year than 1st year Shaka, nope….changed my mind, Smart.
    We dug a hole & Gott out of it. Team was undisciplined in first half. Lucky to be down 2.
    Sheesh…..step away from ledge!

Rick
    Keymaster

Hey Ricky. The day I cease socio-observation, is the day you cease extrapolating other’s opinions to fit your own.

Kindly refrain from telling me what I can and cannot type.

Remember I asked nicely

DrWuffette1day
    Participant

Just wanted to sign in and let you know that I have nothing positive to say.

Adventuroo
    Participant

UP by 10 over #22 LSU.

Probably bad coaching

TheCOWDOG

Doc Muffette! Passing over the zone…nice play.

tjfoose1
    Participant

But geesh folks, it may very well be a long season, but it just started and the entire planned rotation was scrapped in game 1.

Gott is no Wooden and has his weaknesses, but he also has a few strengths. Maybe this year is the total disaster some of you are hoping for, but maybe it’s not. At least wait till the new year before going all Hansbrougesque and break out the Chicken Little.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.