State beats Clemson 66-61

Home Forums All StateFansNation State beats Clemson 66-61

Viewing 22 posts - 126 through 147 (of 147 total)
  • Author
    Wulfpack
    Participant

Oh, and Lunardi has us as a 9-seed playing Miss. State.

That’s Ole Miss. In the West. A match-up with Nova would follow. I would take that.

TheCOWDOG

Loyola Marymount. Wow.

I had the fortune of watching Hank and Bo on those wild Westhead teams, live and in person.

Defense be damned! Let’s score a hundred!

pakfanistan
    Participant

Defense be damned! Let’s score a hundred!

That’s my kind of bball.

BJD95
    Keymaster

Wild enough on TV. It was awesome to see someone have the balls to be so different.

Wulfpack
    Participant

LSU 148, LMU 141 (OT) – 1990

Gathers with 48.
    Kimble with 32.

BJD95
    Keymaster

Was that Chris Jackson-era LSU?

1.21 Jigawatts
    Keymaster

I ain’t GOTT time to do this right so here’s the short version…

OUR DEFENSE is BETTER NOW THAN AT ANY POINT PREVIOUS THIS SEASON…

Why… because it is…
    and averages SUCK…

Here’s the one thing NONE of the stats show us…

There are three seasons in a season …
    Nov- Jan2
    Jan2 – Feb1
    Feb2 – ACC Tournament…

OK… ya’ll GOTT that?

Now… everybody’s players are developing/improving on both ends of the court…
    and everybody’s TEAM is playing more together at the end of the season than at the beginning..
    (except Louisville)…

Then in the Feb sub season… you’re playing Teams in the conference that for the most part you have already played one time…
    so everybody knows everybody else better…

Lacey had a great first half of the season… but nobody, except us, knew what Lacey could do and he was off the radar with opposing coaches so to speak… Since Feb2… Lacey has not surprised anybody… every opposing coach is thinking the way to beat State is shut Lacey down… so they adjust… and Lacey’s numbers come down…

It’s that simple… a whole season average does not tell us anything in this regard…

For the stat guys… There are three dynamic curves working at the same time more or less independent one of the other…
    1. Player Development
    2. Team Development
    3. Coach’s game adjustments…

Work those into your stats and get back to me… with average Defense efficiency for each of three sub seasons.

OR if you are lazy … do this…

Create a dynamic rating factor that indexes three variables…
    1. The Opponents Win/Loss record the morning of each game…
    2. The number of field goals our defense allowed during the game..
    3. The number of times the opponent scored three goals in a row without us scoring…

Put that on a graph and post it…

thanks…

Let me quote Ken Pomeroy…

The first thing you should know about this system is that it is designed to be purely predictive. If you’re looking for a system that rates teams on how “good” their season has been, you’ve come to the wrong place. There are enough systems out there that rank teams based on what is “good” by just about any definition you can think of. So I’d encourage you to google college basketball ratings or even try the opinion polls for something that is more your style.

The purpose of this system is to show how strong a team would be if it played tonight, independent of injuries or emotional factors. Since nobody can see every team play all (or even most) of their games, this system is designed to give you a snapshot of a team’s current level of play.

Seams to me KP already has done that by developing a system that uses actual measurements. So when KP says that State’s Adj. Defensive efficiency is 97.9 today then that’s how “good” their defense is right now, not their seasonal average.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Yes Jackson had 34. Shaq with 20 pts and 24 reb. And 12 blocks!

Packzingo
    Participant

Listened to today’s Tim Brando show and they have Pack a definite IN and continued on to say he wouldn’t be surprised if they were booted in the first game as well as wouldn’t be surprised if they made it to sweet 16!! LOL Yep, that’s life of the PACK!

BJD95
    Keymaster

It’s all about the matchup(s), and our frame of mind when we fall out of bed those Th/Sat or Fr/Sun morning(s). One never knows.

Wow, you would think that pace woulda killed Shaq-Fu, or that he would have at least stayed on the offensive end of the court no matter what. I guess his knees were still young then.

I recall a pretty wild LMU/Oklahoma game, too.

wufpup76
    Keymaster

Speaking of LSU, looks like they’re going to go down at home to our friends from Tennessee … unless the Vols pull a Pack and squander a 13 point lead w/ 3:00 to play

LSU cannot afford this loss … Tenn RPI over 100 now.

BJD95
    Keymaster

Twas a HOME loss, no less. I’m convinced that the Shadow Pack(tm) is propping up lots of empty SEC bubbles.

wufpup76
    Keymaster

Wake looking STRONG @ Duke tonight.

wufpup76
    Keymaster

Twas a HOME loss, no less. I’m convinced that the Shadow Pack(tm) is propping up lots of empty SEC bubbles.

Kills LSU and Texas A&M. LSU was A&M’s only two Top 50 victories … snicker.

Purdue up 3 @ Michigan St. @ halftime. I’m gonna have to fire up Espn3 and watch Miami-Pitt.

wufpup76
    Keymaster

Miami gets the win @ Pitt … Panthers pretty much done-in.

Miami tied w/ us @ 9-8 in ACC play. Miami is @ Va Tech Saturday.

wufpup76
    Keymaster

I guess Penn St. is the B1G’s equivalent to the Pack when it comes to calls … This was called an offensive foul against Penn St. … WOW

Mike
    Participant

wufpup, seriously? how can you question that as an offensive foul? The Penn St player clearly got his body in the way of that Ohio state player’s shove. That is a no brainer offensive foul.

As in the person who called it has no brain.

As I was watching the video before I read the text, I was thinking maybe the officials called a foul on the breakaway, negating the bucket (well in a sense they did) but WOW, just WOW.

ncsu1987
    Participant

That’s as bad as I’ve ever seen. If I’m coach Chambers, I’m risking another $10k in the press conference.

wufpup76
    Keymaster

^^The linked article contains more unbelievable calls going against Penn St. this season. One was against our old friends Maryland – Lions had a chance to tie late, Maryland guy pulls down a Penn St. player – offensive foul – Penn St. You have to see it to believe it. Their coach didn’t pull a HWSNBN though, he earned a $10,000 fine after that game ripping the refs and the B1G.

Bubble update:

Looks like Cincinnati will win @ Tulsa, possibly solidifying their at-large selection, and possibly eliminating Tulsa. Tulsa might be this season’s version of SMU.

xphoenix87

I love Barber as much as anyone, and I think he’s an absolutely terrific defender, but Tokoto’s the best perimeter defender in the league. He’d be my choice as DPOY, and I’d probably take Perrantes 2nd. Cat’s great, and he’s in that class, but his lack of strength gets him in trouble some. He has a harder time than most fighting through picks.

I don’t think KW is a bad player, and I certainly don’t want to see him leave, but he’s got to do a lot of work on his decision-making (offensively and defensively) if he wants to be a productive rotation guy. He’s got the skills to do it. He’s probably the most skilled offensive big on the team. The problem is that he’s prone to taking 19 foot jumpers early in the shot clock, or trying to beat his man off the dribble in traffic, or tossing up fading jump hooks after his attempt to back a guy down was unsuccessful. His shot selection is really poor, and he’s not the offensive rebounding threat that the other 3 bigs are. On a bad or mediocre offensive team, a guy like KW might be valuable, because you just need to create buckets. On this team, we’ve got two guys who can create a pretty decent shot most any time. The fact is, if KW is going to shoot a bunch of long 2s, well, Trevor Lacey can get that shot basically any time he wants, and he’s better at shooting it. If you’re the 3rd or 4th offensive option on the floor, you’ve got to have better judgement than KW does. Defensively, he’s much worse than Anya and Freeman, and I think Abu has passed him by as well. He’s not only super jumpy, he’s also in the wrong place a ton. I was doing some close video analysis of some of our games earlier in the season (Ga Tech, ND, UVA) to see what was going wrong with our defense, and Washington really stood out. He’s a terrible P&R defender, and he’s not a particularly good 1 on 1 defender in the post either.

I love the guy, I love the energy and enthusiasm he brings to the court, but he’s got to play smarter and channel that energy in constructive ways. Anya and Freeman are less skilled on offense, but they know exactly who they are and what they’re there to do.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Let me quote Ken Pomeroy…

The first thing you should know about this system is that it is designed to be purely predictive. If you’re looking for a system that rates teams on how “good” their season has been, you’ve come to the wrong place.

Jiggs…

That a whole different problem… predictive v. descriptive…

Thinking about it… let’s add more variable to my dynamic defensive index…
    Number of fouls committed on the defensive end…

Now what we have is an index that tells us immediately after the game… how good the Defense was that game and how that ranks against all previous games…

The graph of which should answer the question asked… descriptively and accurately…

“Is our defense better now than at the beginning of the season.” Improving or Not improving?

Besides.. the predictive alternative is a non starter…
    “Is our defense going to be better next game than it was the last game?”

Who the hell knows with these kids!
    We don’t need numbers for that.

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    Texpack
    Participant

I wouldn’t call this hate or negativity on KW. His shortcomings are amplified by this particular team. His body position off the ball often has him where he can’t see his man or can’t see the ball. That’s why he gets killed. It’s basic man-ball-basket principles. His athletic ability is such that if he works on the mental part of his game he could be very valuable. Hopefully the staff can get through to him, because if he figures it out, he will be very good.

Viewing 22 posts - 126 through 147 (of 147 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.