South Florida @ NC State

Home Forums All StateFansNation South Florida @ NC State

Viewing 12 posts - 26 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Whiteshoes67
    Participant

Alternatively, if teams are going to zone us, I’d like to see Gottfried try to speed up the tempo even more by throwing in a little press. We’ve only seen this once this season that I recall. When better on offense than defense, speed it up.

redcanine
    Participant

He IS leaner & meaner, and playing really good basketball!

wufpup76
    Keymaster

Agree wholeheartedly with both ‘Whiteshoes’ and ‘redcanine’ 🙂

Texpack
    Participant

ryebread,<br>
    Interesting take on the weaknesses. You would not expect a guard heavy team to have those problems.

Rye – Turner and Lee both make me cringe when they are trying to dribble during crunch time. Both are well below average in that department from what I have seen. Unfortunately Caleb Martin makes me more nervous. Is there any thought of playing Wallace in obvious foul shooting situations?

On the FT shooting stretch where Cat and Lacey went 1-6. Prior to that stretch Lacey was 7-7 and Cat was 5-6. I just can’t rag on Lacey for going 8-9 for the game even though the one miss was at a very critical point in the game. Cat has typically been better than 60%, so hopefully that was a blip but 6-10 doesn’t get it for your primary ball handler.

I was expecting Frenchie to improve his finishing during the off season. At this point I just hope he is on the Richard Howell progression plan. He works his tail off the entire game. He just needs to figure out how to put the ball in the hole off of the offensive glass.

TheCOWDOG

Though far from gutless, as someone suggests, I do wonder who will bring a bottle of poise to this season.

rtpack24
    Participant

Yesterday was a good game to test this team. We looked good at times and horrible in short stretches but overall pretty good. We will not play a team all year with guards any faster than USF. We have all the parts to be a very good team. Only bad mojo I saw were the head bands on Freeman and Abu, can not stand them look like a city league team.

tjfoose1
    Participant

Free throws, at least in NC State’s case, ain’t something you can fix with practice. As referenced above, it’s a head case thing. For this fix, we need more of a psychotherapist than a coach. But then, psychotherapist is part of the coaching job description. Gott needs to come up with a fix of perspective and attitude, not one of grind-and-repeat.

Rick
    Keymaster

I remember for many many years Syracuse could not hit free throws. It was a consistent problem with many different teams with Boheim being the only consistent factor. I never could figure that out but we seem to be in the same place.

redcanine
    Participant

Though far from gutless, as someone suggests, I do wonder who will bring a bottle of poise to this season.

I think Trevor should tend bar until Cat turns 21.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

^ yep… and with Anya as his ‘bouncer’ … he shouldn’t have a lot of trouble….

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    ryebread
    Participant

Rick: The performance against the press was surprisingly bad. How can we have a McDonald’s AA PG who is great in the open court and pair him with a SG who is really a combo, and who has played point, and turn it over that much? We need to practice breaking the press.

BJD: You mentioned KW and I somehow missed that in my comments. I had mentally thought it and thought I’d included it. He was huge. I love his game.

I think that Washington and Anya compliment each other in a high low. They’re also anchors defensively.

Freeman and Abu are more motor players. I would bring them in as a tandem off the bench and tell them to really go after it.

doomsday2008
    Participant

Two things I see here and they are;

1) When Cat drives to the basket he needs to look to pass more. I do see Trevor doing it more than Cat. In all fairness though the bigs need to go to the basket so there is someone to dish off to. I see them standing around when our guards are going to the hole.
    2) Ralston Turner- if he is not hitting his 3pt shot then he is a liability out there. I do not see any improvement with his ball handling skills nor his defense. Caleb Martin at this point in his young career should start over Turner. Bring Turner in off the bench to spark the team.

I know it is way early to make the call of the season but some things are just obvious from day one. It is not easy for coach Gott and he sees much more than we do in practice but, some guys are game players and it is just that simple sometimes. I like all of us here just voice my opinion.

Viewing 12 posts - 26 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.