Sophomore Jinx? (Coaching Edition)

Home Forums All StateFansNation Sophomore Jinx? (Coaching Edition)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Wufpacker
    Participant

Unless you’ve been living under a rock, you know that we are under 48 hours (under 36 actually…took me longer to get around to posting this than I t
    [See the full post at: Sophomore Jinx? (Coaching Edition)]

PackerInRussia
    Participant

2 game season? Must have been a heck of an off-season. On the other hand, you have a whole year to prepare for a single opponent that you’ll play twice. Football season sure would breeze by, though. I’m sure ESPN could figure something out to make it seem longer and more important than it actually was, though.

Texpack
    Participant

The 1979 ACC Championship team was good enough for a bowl. We just turned down a bowl bid to the Garden State Bowl in the Meadowlands rather than play a game during final exams. I doubt Joab Thomas would have gotten away with a stunt like that after he moved on to Alabama.

Wufpacker
    Participant

^ Interesting. Can’t imagine I never knew that, so now I am wondering if my Alzheimer’s is acting up.

In any case, it was not my intent to imply that the ’79 team was undeserving of a bowl bid.

D Wolf
    Participant

So of the 12 coaches cited (can’t include Al Michaels, since he didn’t have a 2nd season) only 5 had fewer wins in their 2nd season. It would appear then that “Sophomore Jinx” is a faulty premise.

Tuffy2
    Participant

I might feel this way every year and get let down but I just feel like we are going to surprise most everyone. With the offensive line and our backs being the strength time of possession and scoring will win or keep us in games unlike last year. Sophomore Jinx not this year. Plus how could it when we had to be decent to begin with last year for that to happen anyway. No where to go but up!

Wufpacker
    Participant

It would appear then that “Sophomore Jinx” is a faulty premise.

Indeed, much like icing the kicker, always punting on 4th down, curses in general, and The Carolina Way, the sophomore jinx appears to be utter crapola.

13OT
    Participant

To the tune of “It’s Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas”, sing along:

It’s beginning to look a lot like Tom Reed,
    In Doeren’s sophomore year.
    But the prettiest sight we’ll see
    Will be our AD named Debbie
    Singing “wait until next year”!

In Doeren’s junior year.
    But the prettiest sight we’ll see
    Will be when mercy-full-e
    The final game of the year.

In Doeren’s senior year.
    But the sight we’re gonna see,
    You can just about guarantee,
    Will be another new coach next year.

pakfanistan
    Participant

Seriously? We had a second string wide receiver as the starting QB last year and you’re ready to write Doeren off?

You should listen to the latest R&R podcast with Jake Vermiglio, where he says strength training wasn’t a focus for the previous staff and that they spent more time on stretching than strength training.

That would explain why George Bryan performed so poorly in the strength sections of the NFL combine…

Greywolf
    Participant

Wufpacker, Thanks for a good discussion thread.

Stretching is important for sure but this coach certainly believes in strength training. Strength and Conditioning coach, Jason Veltkampt, may be the most important coach on this staff. I understand we have 2 nutritionists on staff as well. We are bigger, faster and stronger than we were last year. And it’s not just meat, it’s muscle that’s being added. I can hardly believe some of the weight gain in the short time since January when the early enrollees got here. In HS Germaine Pratt reportedly was only eating 2 meals a day and never going to the weight room. The training table and the weight room has made a real difference. He came here at 200 lbs, and is now at 232. That’s a load at safety. He’s been admonished to ‘take it easy’ on the hits in practice.

The DL was where nearly all our defensive troubles began last year and they committed to gaining 15 lbs. each during the off season. We won’t be winning the division championship but we won’t suffer the humilities we suffered last year either.

OT13 may be right but I don’t think even he believes that we are looking at another Tom
    Reed season.

TheCOWDOG

13OT sends lobster back to the kitchen, ’cause they only got 2 claws.

13OT
    Participant

Why, thank you, Cowdog!

Go Pack!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.