Solid win for the Wolfpack Women: 84-70 over Indiana

Home Forums StateFans Basketball Solid win for the Wolfpack Women: 84-70 over Indiana

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    xphoenix87

Hey y’all, I feel like I do this every year, but I wanted to encourage you all to keep an eye on our Women’s team this year, and if you haven’t done so recently, go to some games.

Tonight they notched a really solid win over a good Indiana team, and they’re poised for what I think could be a really special season. Moreover, it’s a joy to watch this team play. I understand some folks can’t get into the women’s game. I get that, I know it’s a different pace and style of play. I’ve been watching the Wolfpack Women for 20 years, and there have certainly been some rough seasons (though that applies to the men as well). That said, the program under Wes Moore is as exciting as it’s been in a long time, and they play smart, entertaining, up-tempo basketball that anyone who loves the game can enjoy.

I cannot say enough good things about Coach Moore. One particular coaching moment stood out so distinctly to me tonight. State led by 19 late in the 3rd quarter before Indiana came storming back, and they closed to within 3 points with 5 minutes left in the game. We were falling apart, it was the most critical moment, and we absolutely needed a score. The ball went out of bounds on the baseline with 2 seconds left on the shot clock and we called a timeout. First play: Good screening play to get center Chelsea Nelson for a lob, she’s fouled and we take it out of bounds again. Second play: Another variation on the same inbounds set but with different cuts, leads to another foul. Third play: Inbounds to the wing, quick pass to the elbow, Ashley Williams gets a wide-open layup off a strong V-cut. We had to have a score on the baseline out of bounds, and we didn’t just run one good play out of the timeout, we ran three of them in a row. It was exquisite. Things tilted back to State over the next minute and we never looked back.

The team starts 4 seniors and 1 junior, and the bench is full of the Pack’s promising future, 9 sophomores and freshmen who were both top 20 recruiting classes. They’ve got the combination of talent, experience, depth and coaching to really surprise people this year. So go watch some games and cheer them on. If nothing else, the new Reynolds is a pretty great place to catch a game :).

McCallum
    Participant

This calls for a celebration!

I think I’ll break out some Joan Baez.

McCallum

ryebread
    Participant

Can Wes coach the men’s team as well? Glad to hear the ladies are headed in the right direction. I thought that was a great hire.

44rules
    Participant

Yeah, the men’s team could use 3 great out of bounds plays. I think I’ve seen one in 20 years. Congrats to the ladies!

Communism is not love. Communism is a hammer which we use to crush the enemy. Mao Zedong

MISTA WOLF
    Participant

Thanks for sharing Phoenix. I plan on going and watching them when they come to Winston Salem. Take it you coach at some level or were well coached to throw out the term “v-cut.” Glad some team in our stable is being well coached in the arts of fundamentals 🙂

xphoenix87

Never coached (though I’d like to someday), but I played a lot and had some good coaches growing up.

Moore is really terrific. You can tell watching him on the sideline that he’s a perfectionist who is always demanding more from his players, but also that the players really love playing for him. They’re always well-prepared, and he makes great in-game adjustments. He won me over big-time in his first season when we beat then #8 Maryland. A little ways into the second half, Maryland’s Alyssa Thomas (3 time ACC POY, All-American, best player in Maryland history) was 8-12 with 16 points, and Maryland was up by 9. Moore switched to an unorthodox box-and-1, with 5’5 guard Len’Nique Brown shadowing the 6’2 Thomas. Not only did Thomas not score for the next 12 minutes, she didn’t even take a shot. When Thomas finally made a layup with 30 seconds left, the game was essentially over. State won by 9.

MISTA WOLF
    Participant

I coach at Reagan High School in Winston Salem. We play in a pretty athletic conference and we don’t get the athletes. Our approach is the “old school” way: v-cuts, L-cuts, Laker cuts, hedging on defense, ball switching sides on offense, etc. Things you don’t see in today’s game. It works well for us even though we struggled last season.

MrPlywood
    Participant

This calls for a celebration!

I think I’ll break out some Joan Baez.

So you’re not a State fan?

xphoenix87, keep up the good work. I don’t always respond but I do read.

McCallum
    Participant

Only when Joan is singing “we shall overcome”.

McCallum

Adventuroo
    Participant

Was at game. Reynolds is a jewel. Lots of memories….so the ambiance is there, but it is up-to-date and the displays draw crowds. The wolf SS statue going up the steps is still a favorite.

Ladies jumped out and dominated (no whips or nip clips) the IU ladies. Up by 18 a the half. Max, I think, was 19. WM substituted and the IU ladies took advantage and almost escaped their bondage. The lead dwindled down to 3….and it was CRUNCH time. I think that we were 6 minutes into Q3 BEFORE we scored….and that was a FT. The lid went on the basket.

Finally got old MO back…..the mass challenged diva with the bosoms (if left unrestrained) would drag the floor finally sat down on our side….but she was jogging back and forth. She sang with about 2-3 minutes to go. Ashley Williams, our walk on from Cary that FINALLY got a scholly was really off. She had 2 or 3 points and that was LATE in Q3 or maybe Q4.

IU had a shooter…Tyra Bus. #3 kept putting them up. Her numbers….10 for 14 FG; Can you say 71% boys and girls? She was also 4 for 6 from the 3 arc….and finally, 14 for 15 from the FT line. Had 5 rebounds. Did I mention that she scored 38 out of the 70 points that IU had. Fouled out with a minute to go. Played THE ENTIRE GAME. Had 5 RB, 3 Assists, 4 Turnovers and 2 steals. Did I mention the 38 POINTS… We cheered and it was NOT that she was fouling out. It was out of respect. There were none of the “goodbye taunting. Really quite a show….or maybe NOT from our defense.

Coach Moore was still ranting about the 1 point loss to LSU in the Virgin (how many are there over 16) Island Tourney. He was rather blunt and critical of the players that did not meet his expectations last night. The chorus line during the Almaa Mater is really cool and I certainly WISH that the men would learn.

Treat yourself to Reynolds. Bring the wee ones….they will enjoy the displays. So much history is packed into the front entrance.

GO PACK….looking forward to the upcoming Men’s game there.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.