So, Ya Got a Visit To South Bend

Home Forums All StateFansNation So, Ya Got a Visit To South Bend

Viewing 25 posts - 176 through 200 (of 209 total)
  • Author
    bill.onthebeach
    Participant

BALLGAME…

Smoke IF you got ’em…

Only thing we need to focus on is next week against Clempsom….

Time to eat ’em oysters…

POP!!!

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    Whiteshoes67
    Participant

My bigger concern is that we got physically beat up all to hell and how injuries impact next week

Clemson is every bit as good on defense as Irish, if not bettet

maverick_ncsu
    Participant

Mav.. Hines ain’t over rated… he just underweight for the job we’re asking him to do…

I don’t think he’s overrated at all. I think this game helps prove how amazing he is, especially since he’s underweight.

McCallum
    Participant

They ran simple isolation running plays in the first half.

They ran a basic counter play with guard and tackle pulling in the 2nd half.

They exposed the linebackers and secondary.

Had two weeks to prepare for this.

McCallum

Whiteshoes67
    Participant

^yup, Lbs had bad showing today. I won’t name names but 2 of 3 especially. Took themselves out of plays altogether.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Time to regroup, and not just for Clemson as BC and Wake are good teams capable of beating us.

TheCOWDOG

Pratt played well, since we’re not naming names.

Shi”y plane ride home. Coaches feeling worse than players…They should…12 hours worth.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Maybe, on the bright side…

The Yellow Jackets can bang up a few Tiggers…

POP!!!

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    Whiteshoes67
    Participant

D could’ve played better but hard to pin a loss on them. Offense was putrid outside of 2-3 possessions.

For me, this game confirms the weaknesses.

1. Scheme doesn’t offset or aid Back 7
    2. Our dependence on short perimeter passing game was taken away by aggressive athletic defense and well coached team
    3. Passing game is effective but little used in middle of field and down field and deep. We consistently were behind chains because 2 and bad run game strategy tonight after Hines went out and gimmicks

YogiNC
    Participant

And we lost the Swofford Bowl. I knew we were in trouble when the ND receiver pushed off and they called PI on the defender. Very poorly officiated but then that’s what swoff wanted. HOW in heck can you miss someone 2 steps offsides????

Smarter than the average bear

ryebread
    Participant

We @#$(* the bed today. Outclassed? Out prepared? Not up for the national stage? Didn’t like the cold weather? Punched in the mouth mentally and physically and didn’t recover? Out coached and motivated at the half? Heard for two weeks on campus how good we were? It could be any or all of those things.

The good news is that this was the game that “didn’t matter” in the big scheme of things. All our “real” goals for the season — making an ACC championship game and possibly winning a league title — are still out there. We’ve just got to regroup, heal up, focus and execute.

The bad news is that Clemson looks better than ND to me, and I’m not sure that anyone in our league is playing better than BC right now. We had better right the ship very quickly or we’re going 0-3 in this stretch. Go 0-3 in here and we could easily lose to Wake and enter the UNC game in a complete tailspin.

The next two weeks will tell us what kind of program we have. We faced adversity early this year and rallied. Can we do it again against tougher teams? I hope so.

This is also the reason why contract extension talk mid-year is ridiculous. Let things play out………

freshmanin83
    Participant

Contract talks are fine imo contract signing may be premature.

mak4dpak
    Participant

Many things factored in this loss. The offense was putrid, and play calling at time had me scratching my head, which left the defense on the field way too long. Thus the final score. Not to mention the weather. It was freezing cold there, and I should know, because I was there. Forget this game, and rise up for Clempson. We are better than what we showed the nation.

Wulfpack
    Participant

The heavy lifting is out in front of us. FSU and Louisville are having really bad seasons. Great opportunities ahead to make this a special year.

choppack1
    Participant

Today was disappointing. We fell apart in the 2nd half after those 1st 2 drives didn’t yield points.

Injuries definitely hurt us today – losing Hines and Jones was huge. I would like to complain about the officiating but we simply got manhandled in the trenches.

Offensively, this was our worst effort in a while. I hate that our offense fell apart like that after Hines left the game. We need to figure something out before these last 4 games. 6-2 would be quite an accomplishment for this team and program. Rome wasn’t built in a day and neither were the modern day Clemson Tigers. Our hail Mary shot was ruined by the Irish, but still plenty to play for next 4 games. Hopefully, the team will finish a promising season well and build on it.

tractor57
    Participant

Of course I was disappointed with the outcome of the game. Face at least for yesterday the better team won. Maybe that was injuries, maybe a better game plan by ND or maybe some less than stellar play calling. Regardless our defense had to spend too much time on the field and the offense was not up to the challenge. It isn’t the end of the season but the team does have more challenges ahead. The ACC no longer is FSU and Clemson with a bunch of weak sisters.

archdalepack
    Participant

And we lost the Swofford Bowl. I knew we were in trouble when the ND receiver pushed off and they called PI on the defender. Very poorly officiated but then that’s what swoff wanted. HOW in heck can you miss someone 2 steps offsides????

Yogi, when the announcer commits about “receiver extended arm to initiate contact”. That call produced 7 points. Could not see lineman offside on interception, but line froze, why did Finley throw short? Thought that if you think free play you went deep? Disappointed in offense, defense on field too long!

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

One thing for sure Finley’s NFL draft stock took a nose dive yesterday.

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

Our hail Mary shot was ruined by the Irish

The hail mary shot was ruined by the missed offsides on the pick 6. We absoultely tanked after that blow. We were playing on their level right up to that “blown/ignored” call. I’m sick of our teams having to always “overcome adversity” of horrendous officiating calls in huge games, and I’m talking basketball & football.

Defense gave up 28 points on the road to a top #10 team. Nothing to complain about there IMO.

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

Could not see lineman offside on interception, but line froze, why did Finley throw short?

His entire helmet was in the neutral zone. It should have been a free play. Finley knew it, the center knew it, the replay clearly shows it, not sure what else to say.

archdalepack
    Participant

“Could not see lineman offside on interception, but line froze, why did Finley throw short?”

“His entire helmet was in the neutral zone. It should have been a free play. Finley knew it, the center knew it, the replay clearly shows it, not sure what else to say.”

Atlas, I could see jump, know line thought offside. I wish DD would release freeze frame of this play!

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

Watch Dave’s post game conference. He believes they were offsides as well. Explicitly states it, as well as explicitly states Finely thought they were offside. Again, replay confirmed it. Went on to say he would tell the media what he really thought about the officiating if one of them would pay the fine for him.

Tau837
    Participant

line froze, why did Finley throw short? Thought that if you think free play you went deep?

Probably because our line froze but ND’s did not and there were several defenders closing fast on Finley. Still a bad play by Finley there; if he can’t get the ball deep enough there, he has to throw it out of bounds, free play or not. The idea of a free play does not mean you don’t need to take care of the ball.

Tau837
    Participant

One thing for sure Finley’s NFL draft stock took a nose dive yesterday.

I don’t think that is necessarily true. He was playing on the road against a very good defense. He didn’t play great, but he didn’t play poorly. How many pass deflections did ND have yesterday, half a dozen? more? That is at least half a dozen passes on the mark that were not completed. Finley was mostly putting the ball where it needed to be, and he stood in and delivered a number of times knowing he was going to take a shot.

The interception didn’t look good, but that is still his first interception in more than 300 passes.

Now, I don’t really know what to think of Finley’s NFL draft stock in the first place. But whatever it was, I doubt it changed at all due to this game.

Tau837
    Participant

I think the stock of Samuels may have taken a hit. Entering the game, it was going to be necessary for Samuels to be an impact players for us to win. That became even more true once Hines went down.

How did he respond? 8 carries for 9 yards and 2 catches for 21 yards. He also drew one DPI penalty. His lack of production on his opportunities is a big reason the entire offense struggled. Obviously, Notre Dame keyed on him, but it should be expected that a player of his caliber would still be able to make more plays.

Samuels already had a problem for the NFL – what is his role? He isn’t a TE in the NFL, too small. He isn’t a fullback, as he has not played a blocking role in college. He isn’t a primary RB, because he hasn’t run the ball enough in college. IMO his role is likely to be a third down back.

Regardless, a big game on the national stage in front of a lot of scouts could have elevated his draft stock. Instead, his stock probably slipped.

Viewing 25 posts - 176 through 200 (of 209 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.