So, it was national signing day in football

Home Forums StateFans Football So, it was national signing day in football

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 83 total)
  • Author
    choppack1
    Participant

And there is not a lot of buzz.

The class isn’t ranked that high.

Out of the ACC schools we are ahead of WF and BC.

More than anything the lack of excitement about football recruiting shows just how important next year is for DD – because I can’t figure out the last time the day passed with such little fanfare since it became common knowledge such a day existed.

On the positive side, there was little drama. We had one significant detection that was driven more by academics than a desire to be at NC State. Also, the size of this class does demonstrate that DD_s program is doing a better job retaining players than his predecessors. (At least, that’s how it seems.)

TheCOWDOG

Hodge was a star in the making, but…we can’t have it both ways.

BJD95
    Keymaster

BC and Wake, eh? Jeebus. Purgatory is he’ll sometimes.

choppack1
    Participant

We just picked up a solid juco dl

Cow – from everything I had heard Hodge was a true difference maker…I would have had similar thoughts to amerson…Which was “very glad he’s in the fold.”

We shall see what happens in the hollers of WVa.

GoldenChain
    Participant

We’re 61st!

I can’t remember a time in the modern era we were ranked that low.

redwolf87
    Participant

Some had us up a little higher…maybe mid- to upper-50’s. Same deal, though.

But, honestly, you look at the way they do these rankings and once you get past the Top 10, you are truly splitting hairs. A school that has maybe one 4-star recruit and 24 3-stars versus another school with 21 3-stars, and they rank 15-20 spots higher? Seems a little silly to me.

I remember back in the day that Allen Wallace and SuperPrep were about the only outlet there was, because there was no internet. And Sheridan’s recruits got panned year after year. I’d say those years turned out fine.

I do understand these are different times and different circumstances, and I’d agree that this recruiting year was down a bit. But after seeing how these classes were ranked across a few sites…I’m not all that concerned from an operational standpoint. Maybe a PR standpoint.

GoldenChain
    Participant

I am quite certain that DD is no Dick Sheridan.

wolfpack92owen
    Participant

Tough day for Wolfpack athletics

Adventuroo
    Participant

Here is ONE ranking…..not saying it is the GOSPEL according to Lombardi, but it does NOT look GOOD. #51 overall and #10 in the ACC. OUCH…and DOUBLE OUCH.

Slogging along for a TOP 25 in the 3 Revenue Sports….the road has a lot of potholes….and some really ugly IED’s.

http://247sports.com/Season/2017-Football/CompositeTeamRankings

choppack1
    Participant

And this is where Yow’s diarrhea of the mouth gets her in trouble.

There’s a lot of similarities between the rankings of DD’s last few classes and TOB’s.

Again, I think attrition and character class hurt every bit as much as poor rankings for a school like us. If you can take and develop these guys into players I honestly don’t think they have to be 4 stars. That’s essentially what Wisconsin has done the last 10 years or so and others have done that as well (perhaps minus the character quotient.)

It bears repeating that without Blue Chip prospects were able to compete with 2 exceptions – Louisville and Miami. So, I am not too worried at this point.

If we don’t have a solid recruiting class next year and a good record , l think we can all agree it’s time to move on.

McCallum
    Participant

My past anology comparing State athletics to the DVD release of Maude season 3 were off by a long shot.

McCallum

packbackr04
    Participant

what a terrible recruiting class. good grief

PackerInRussia
    Participant

And there is not a lot of buzz.

I think everyone was gearing up for the big Groundhog Day celebration.

Greywolf
    Participant

One of our recruits was a second string RB from a FL HS. And we all know about second string RBs, right? I mean what the heck, Barry Sanders was a second string RB at Okie State.

Those of us who think DD’s recruiting is similar to TOB’s are old and are losing our memories. Aside from the numbers DD’s recruits seem to stay on the team. Those who think DD’s and TOB’s rankings were the same probably are remembering TOB’s ranking before signing day. Those rankings fell like a rock when the commits never made it to school.

Some of us need to stick to things we know about like Instant Noodles and other such non-sense.

Those of you who have coached youth sports know the differences between chronological age and physiological age. Looking closely at Doeren’s recruits, many have a huge upside meaning that they are still growing and getting better, not fully grown and about as good as they are going to get. One of our lineman recruits gain 6 inches in height and a corresponding gain in weight in one year. He went to prep school instead of college because of this. He didn’t have a lot of stars in his ranking.

When these young men are Red shirt sophomores they will not be the same players who were rated 2 and 3-star players coming out of HS. As someone has already mentioned our field position players should not be judged on what our FG kicker did. But who cares about that. Any opportunity to put down Doeren is fair game even if it is toro excrement.

I don’t know what the heck is the matter with Doeren. He could have gotten Hodge into school on a trumped up learning disability, gotten him some performance enhancing drugs and somebody to take his exams for him. We don’t care about no stinking integriity. Just win baby.

Graduating from HS I was a 5-star — and that was the number of stars I saw when the principal slapped me on the back of the head.

BJD95
    Keymaster

We can “coach ’em up” with classes in the 30s and 40s just fine. 50s and 60s…not so much. That’s the level of recruiting that got TOB fired, and led to our craptacular 0-fer season.

Getting out-recruited by the likes of BC and Wake is embarrassing.

Greywolf
    Participant

There’s a lot of similarities between the rankings of DD’s last few classes and TOB’s.

The similarities end with the fact that both consisted of HS football players. Many of TOB recruits, like Amado’s never made it on campus. Doeren’s all seem to make it. How many of TOB’s class of 2012 graduated? About 5 or 6. Tough to have seniors and senior leaders on your team if they aren’t in school.

wolfpack92owen
    Participant

The similarities end with the fact that both consisted of HS football players. Many of TOB recruits, like Amado’s never made it on campus. Doeren’s all seem to make it. How many of TOB’s class of 2012 graduated? About 5 or 6. Tough to have seniors and senior leaders on your team if they aren’t in school.

well that is certainly one way to defend this craptastic class

Heelh8r
    Participant

Maybe you don’t listen to the coach or don’t believe him, I don’t know. But we lost very few seniors this year and could not have taken a large class. We are in very good shape depth wise for this season, and I expect us to have a great year. Next year will be the year we need a large and higher ranked class.

gso packbacker
    Participant

A question to someone who knows more than just the ranking of the class.

According to 247sports, we had 6 members of our class who were “graded” as a 0.70. Heck, 5 of them didn’t even have a picture.

Any clue? It appears as some of them may not be coming directly from high school.

highstick
    Participant

Is Willis Casey’s ghost still in charge of the Athletic Department? He was cheap and all I’m seeing is more of Lee Fowler “fucilities”.

"Whomp 'em, Up, Side the Head"!

BJD95
    Keymaster

The thing that makes me scratch my head is not the size, but rather why we didn’t get some bigger pieces if we could be more selective. Looks like we went even more under the radar than usual, like one ordinarily does when filling larger classes.

Heelh8r
    Participant

You are right about that, BJD, we did not get anyone above 3*, but the misleading thing about our ranking is that the size of the class greatly affects the team ranking. Therefore, a smaller class is automatically going to be ranked lower.

McCallum
    Participant

Some of us need to stick to things we know about like Instant Noodles and other such non-sense.

I see you there!

I’ll match my knowledge of instant noodles against State’s ability to hire properly any day of the week.

McCallum

Greywolf
    Participant

The thing that makes me scratch my head is not the size, but rather why we didn’t get some bigger pieces if we could be more selective. Looks like we went even more under the radar than usual, like one ordinarily does when filling larger classes.

We recruited ‘needs’ — 6 D-linemen and 3 LBs. Except one JUCO AA from Louisburg College who came out of nowhere, our recruits all have the frames to add good weight i.e., muscle and fit our desire for length and height. These guys will be ready to go 2 and 3 seasons from now when our current crop of linemen are gone. Just damn smart recruiting. Want details? One of these guys grew 5 inches in height in one year. He opted to go to prep school because he and his HS coach knew he wasn’t physically ready for college. IIRC most of these guys are smart and many were team captains. The also played multiple sports in HS — think Russell Wilson.

We are picking up TE recruits that are projected to switch to OL ala Bradford. These are not just “coach-up” projects, these are projections after Thunder Dan does his thing. They are not being conned. They fully expect the physical transformations to occur. I just found out that we keep before and after photos of current players to show recruits that we can change their bodies to make them better players and more productive.

One of the LBs looks ready to play as a freshman. We have 6 or 8 preferred walk-ons and except for a kicker all are 6-2 and weigh over 200 lbs. Our scout teams are going to make our skollies better players. Some may wind up on special teams and some will wind up with skollies. All seem to want to be part of our future.

I can’t go on from memory but this is actually a good class that fills our needs, just not a “stary” class. The commitments we are getting for 2018 and 19 indicate we will be getting the stars we all want.

Being talked to death is a terrible way to die — even if it is the written word — so I’m going to stop here cause I killed 4 people on another board last week. Besides this should give the non-believers plenty to laugh about.

Darn, McCallum. I thought I was going to slide that one by you. LOL

Greywolf
    Participant

I’ll match my knowledge of instant noodles against State’s ability to hire properly any day of the week.

I’m half full on this one. BB for sure but football is a mixed bag. Doeren isn’t the greatest sideline coach we’ve ever had but he knows more about building a program than anyone we’ve had in a long time, maybe ever. So much goes into building a modern program us old-timers are clueless unless we do a lot of research into the matter.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 83 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.