SI: How did Carolina lose its way?

Home Forums StateFans Basketball SI: How did Carolina lose its way?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    WTNY
    Participant

SI: How did Carolina lose its way? A UNC grad returns to campus to find out

My way back? It began with laughter. My oldest child was a high school senior in April 2014, at the point in college admissions season when everyone’s bruised and judgments drop hard and final. He was staring at his phone one night. He and his best friend had already gotten into North Carolina. Now they were texting each other, and my son kept giggling. “Great school,” he said. Then he turned the screen so I could see.

UNC-CH actually takes some hits here. It will be an eye-opener for the brainwashed in baby blue.

However, for me what stood out (other than a bogus shot at NC State about an “ethically challenged” ’74 team – what bull!) was the undercurrent that athletics becoming more important than academics can’t be stopped, even at “superior” Chapel Hill.

BJD95
    Keymaster

Pssst – you can’t lose what you never had. Mystery solved!

MrPlywood
    Participant

Just had time to scan that, and read some of the comments. A great deal of the pro-UNCCH comments – a percentage probably equal to Dean’s grad rates – trotted out the now commonplace “everyone does it” routine. And most try to deflect any connection to Smith, which leads me to believe that Hole grads aren’t nearly as smart as they think they are.

wufpup76
    Keymaster

Pssst – you can’t lose what you never had. Mystery solved!

Bingo. It’s always been a fallacy.

I gave that media a fallacy. Medias love fallacies.

Fastback68
    Participant

I read this yesterday. Is there something more to the 1982 UNX natty team. Why did Dean’s boss liken it to the 74 State team. Is the boss just complaining about athletics having more power/influence or was there already an unethical path established at UNX.

My niece is on The Dailey TH staff. Can’t wait to have a debate with her.

BJD95
    Keymaster

I recommend quoting the great Sergeant Al Powell: “Why don’t you wake up and smell what you shoveling?”

Fastback68
    Participant

^and Ron Swanson quotes

TheCOWDOG

Oh. If I could only divulge what the oldtime coaches refer to as:

“The 16 pages”

wufpup76
    Keymaster

I recommend quoting the great Sergeant Al Powell: “Why don’t you wake up and smell what you shoveling?”

I tried to find the relevant video clip, but have abandoned the search … youtube really needs to up their ‘Die Hard” game. They don’t even have a good clip of Powell gunning down Karl.

TheCOWDOG

16 freaking NCAA violations, added to their bible ’cause they were not there before DES went off the reservation.

16 pages.

wufpup76
    Keymaster

16 freaking NCAA violations, added to their bible ’cause they were not there before DES went off the reservation.

16 pages.

This would be beyond interesting reading.

Wufpacker
    Participant

“Breath mint?”

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.