Show Us Where the Bad Howard's Rock Touched You Game Thread

Home Forums StateFans Football Show Us Where the Bad Howard's Rock Touched You Game Thread

Viewing 25 posts - 251 through 275 (of 317 total)
  • Author
    YogiNC
    Participant

Wide right from the 30? Sorry BOTB, he missed 2 and got one blocked. Kickers are graded on one thing, makes/misses.

Smarter than the average bear

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Team played the most physical game I’ve seen in years.

Remember this…

THIS is our football future.

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    YogiNC
    Participant

I was really hoping I’d get to send Mc that old pair of New Balances for him to eat. Considering how the ville played I say we have a chance against them too.

Smarter than the average bear

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Yogi…

the first kick – the one that hit the goalpost was also wide right… and the block won’t his fault… that’s on the right side of the Oline…

so you’re right…

We’ve been “spoiled” somewhat…
    How many Kickers we GOTT in the NFL?

and no this one ain’t there yet…
    but he apparently is all we have.
    so….

All I’m saying is “Kickers only win games… they don’t lose them.”
    Give the 20yr kid a break.
    :>}

RE: Macallum’s shoes…
    I started another Thread just for that…
    POP!!!

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

This type of loss damages the psyche. I expect a 3+ touchdown loss to LU next week.

+1

this one is gonna linger

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

If our kids play next Saturday, like they did today, without most of the penalties…

We shouldn’t be worried about the scoreboard.

It will be mostly ALL GOOD!

TheCOWDOG

Hey. AT. I don’t know the other guy, but I know you. Don’t buy into the psyche bullsh#t. As a former player, I’m going in a completely different direction.

The only psyche killer off this game comes from a guy that just got his psyche killed. For reals.

Every GD player is po’d at their own personal performance on that plane. Yet, they know how close.

Psyche killer my ass.

MISTA WOLF
    Participant

We have the #1 kicker in the nation coming to N.C. State next season. I $hit you not.

Adventuroo
    Participant

I don’t know a THING about kicking, except what I can read here. BUT, I can tell you that Kicking is a lot like golf or skeet shooting or bowling. HOW you do, once you have the mechanics down….assuming you have the eye-hand(foot) coordination and the overall athleticism and coordination….is all MENTAL. I have shot several rounds of skeet and you would have thought I was someone that just got a new gun and barely knew which end to whole. THEN the next week, I went 99 X 100 and had three perfect rounds. It is MENTAL….

Mark Thomas did a rather lengthly monolog on kickers. He says that Kickers are “Lone Wolves” and they live in their world. The coaches have a hard time “psychologically” managing (Coaching) them. He says that there are some kickers that will stay in the game and get excited and such….but others (just as successful) will stay totally “zoned out”. They only talk to their peers (punter) and their snapper. In some cases, they actually have a “Do NOT Enter My Space” area set up….and the coaching staff makes sure that it is honored. He says that based on his HS, NCSU and Pro Career and Johnny Evans agreed with him. Punters are NOT as “bad”, but they too, have to keep focused.

I was attending a memorial service and only caught the end of the game and the OT and then went in to the reception. When I came out, the radio crew was doing their post morteum….what they said….as well as what Mark Thomas said before….

You reach a point. IF you have a good kicker (strength, mechanics, mental focus, etc.), THEN most coaches will “work with him”. The special teams coach has to be more of a “shrink” than any other position. IF you let the guy get “tested” and let him kick a “Game Winner”, that (assuming he has potential) will usually seal the deal. Sort of like taking a great piece of meat and properly aging it and then cooking it with the skill of a master chef. BUT, if the kicker “senses” lack of confidence, then it is probably OVER for him for this season….perhaps his career.

Johnny Evans made essentially the SAME comments today. DOES the Coaching Staff “sit out” Bamburg (Sp?), for say 2 weeks? That MAY let him have a chance to wallow around in his grief and self pity and then he should “snap back”. OR do they provide mental (and emotional) support for him and help him ride through this and he will then become better….i.e., let him WIN a game for us….

The fact that he nailed the short FG as a “practice” when Dabo called the late, quick TO shows that he has the potential (skills), but the mental needs to be sharpened.

As much as I would have LOVED to win today, I was really proud of how the team played. I also do NOT know what “talent” we have as back-up and what “mental prowess” they also have….if you bail on #1…and #2 does worse, you MIGHT not have the same caliber of kicker when you go back to #1….

BJD95
    Keymaster

uh…we were out of time to get a TD running the ball, inside a minute to play. If we wanted 6, we had to pass. Coaches knew we had kicker problems.

I’m just saying they need to get bolder going forward in the face of the reality of HOW BAD our kicking problems are.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

^that’s right…

mighta/coulda/shoulda have pushed the ball down the field faster, not using quite as much time between plays, scored with 1 minute left..
    and trusted the DEFENSE to FINISH… more MO for us, more pressure on them….

if that didn’t work out right, you get 2-3 more plays AND you still have time for the FG…

as it was, it was one dimensional….

COACHES GOTT to learn how to coach too…

WolfBlood86
    Participant

I can forgive the miss IF that was a fluke and uncharacteristic but it is a pattern. How many points have been left off the scoreboard? How many missed extra points? How many chip shots have been missed? This was not an isolated event. This is just the first time the game was on the line. I can’t even watch an extra point attempt without whispering under my breath don’t screw this up then holding my breath. So we wait until Chris Dunn gets here and hope he is what he is marketed as being.

rthomas44
    Participant

Winners laugh and joke, losers cry “deal the cards”.

McCallum
    Participant

The most physical game I have seen by State in 10-15 years.

I was right outside the stadium, 50 ft from the damn thing, pouring down Bud Light and a few gentleman Jacks.

Went in for the 2nd quarter enough to taunt and then retreated to the parking lot again.

I knew the defensive line was decent but they butchered ClemPson today.

McCallum

choppack1
    Participant

Boys and girls, this was an epic heartbreaker. However, through it all, the team and staff showed we are ready to compete.

I don’t put this one on the kicker. If you look back at my post before the game, this was the scenario I worried about.

Great job getting the kids and prepping them, but not maximizing the opportunity at the end.

Personally, I think with a kicker who has been inconsistent, you try to get the ball in the end zone. In the immortal words of someone, never leave it up to the kicker.

Here’s where the kid’s work ethic and attitude will either save him ot bury him. If this kid put in the time onnthe practice field, weight room and classroom – his teammates and coaches better rally the heck around him.

As for the staff, while I didn’t agree W the the last possession, I think the game plan was fantastic – and I can see that, yes, we are building something.

Louisville isn’t as important as the rest of the way home. We need to get to at least 4 wins in conference.

This is all about building on a very solid, yet ultimately disappointing outcomes.

McCallum
    Participant

Sniffing glue is a bad thing.

McCallum

BassPacker
    Participant

Don’t put it on the kicker ??? NC State has 2 losses this year by a total of 10 points (1 in OT) and is 2-7 on FGs in those games. Misses from 33, 37, 42, 43 & 44. I say a lot as to be put on the kicker. As someone said, this is not an isolated miss by the kicker. He seems to have the mechanics but lacking in the mental toughness of the moment.

McCallum
    Participant

It’s on the damn kicker.

McCallum

tjfoose1
    Participant

There’s also the kicks never attempted because of the known issues with the kicking game. Those are points left on the field, too.

That said, I’m not blaming nor attacking a 20 year collegiate amateur athlete for anything. No one feels worse than him, no one. He’s only out there because he’s the best we have. That is not his doing.

His failure is not due to lack of want or effort. And he’s never been more than he is. The fan(atic)s can blame him, but not reasonably so. It’s not the Yorkie’s fault he’s not a Rottweiler. Nothing he can do about it, not matter how much want or try he has in him.

Not really even the ‘fault’ of the coaches, though it is their responsibility. They knew they had an issue, and went out and got a grad transfer. On paper a good one. The one that kicked today was good, on paper, when recruited.

Ain’t happy about it, but that’s just the way it is.

Wolfanatic
    Participant

There is no defense for Bambard…No…

choppack1
    Participant

I am just going to say this…if you are attacking the kicker, that the lowest of the low. Again, unless you have some info that indicates this kid has a substandard work ethic or morals, it is on the guys who collect the paycheck.

Again, you don’t leave a 60 minute game on the kicker…when you have other alternatives. Treat him like you would your own child, that’s all.

tjfoose1
    Participant

If directed towards me, I was not offering a defense. He does not need one. I simply stated facts, as they are.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

BAC is directly proportional to stupidsh#t… esp. after dark…

I’m going head on back to “The Ranch”, over on Netflix….

Highly recommended for men over 55 with sons and others who have a propensity/affinity for stupidsh#t…

The rest of Ya’ll play nice…

See ya! Send those shoes to the flood folks, awrite?

rthomas44
    Participant

Show some Christian charity and love for the kicker!

choppack1
    Participant

Foose – not directed at you at all. Your response is reasonable, you seem to understand that he has done the best he has with the tools that he has been given… until proven otherwise.

As I said to someone after the game…this is why if you are a kicker, you bust your butt in the weight room, the class room and in practice – if you do that, there is zero excuse whatsoever for your teammates and fans not supporting you.

Viewing 25 posts - 251 through 275 (of 317 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.